Christy Ring cup winners

Started by LeoMc, June 12, 2013, 12:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

I am starting a new thread as I cannot find it mentioned anywhere else and was wondering are the winners of the Christy Ring cup automatically promoted o the Liam McCarthy cup the following year?

As Down won it this year do they follow Antrim into the Leinster SHC?

Plain of the Herbs

I don't know the answer, but as far as I can tell, they've go the option to go up.

Kerry won this two years ago and opted to stay in the Christy Ring, believing they needed more development before being fed to the sharks in Munster.

London won CR last year and opted to go into Leinster.

I recall Down were favourites to win this in the first year of the competition and have waited until last Saturday to bring the cup for a ferry trip.

johnneycool

Quote from: LeoMc on June 12, 2013, 12:44:57 PM
I am starting a new thread as I cannot find it mentioned anywhere else and was wondering are the winners of the Christy Ring cup automatically promoted o the Liam McCarthy cup the following year?

As Down won it this year do they follow Antrim into the Leinster SHC?

God, I'm not sure. I think we've the option if we chose to do so, but that could have been changed as there was something about restricting the number of teams in the Leinster championship when an oversight meant that Antrim couldn't be relegated for x number of years and Westmeath or Carlow beat them for them to stay up in a futile relegation battle a couple of years ago.

That oversight may have been addressed at congress to aid hurling development.

nrico2006

I think that the winners of the CR Cup stay where they are.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

johnneycool

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 12, 2013, 02:15:48 PM
I think that the winners of the CR Cup stay where they are.

And maybe joined by whoever is relegated out of the round robin series of games in the Liam McCarthy or is that hit on the head as well??

Lecale2

The new structure passed at Congress this year means that Down stay in the Christy Ring Cup next year.
http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/miscellaneous/CCCC%20Proposal%202014%20to%202016.pdf

CitySlicker11

Although everyone likes the idea of moving up a level when a competition is won, think it is best for Down hurling to stay at this level for  a few years. Now that the players have tasted success, the aim should be to put back to back Christy Ring's together and show that Down are going somewhere.

All this should be building to winning an Ulster senior championship, and then entry in to Leinster after that.

johnneycool

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on June 13, 2013, 12:18:02 AM
Although everyone likes the idea of moving up a level when a competition is won, think it is best for Down hurling to stay at this level for  a few years. Now that the players have tasted success, the aim should be to put back to back Christy Ring's together and show that Down are going somewhere.

All this should be building to winning an Ulster senior championship, and then entry in to Leinster after that.

The Ulster championship has lost all meaning now and has for a while.

nrico2006

I think the Nicky Rackard winners also cannot gain promotion, which again is pretty stupid and defeats the purpose of the competition.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

johnneycool

Quote from: Lecale2 on June 12, 2013, 05:33:43 PM
The new structure passed at Congress this year means that Down stay in the Christy Ring Cup next year.
http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/miscellaneous/CCCC%20Proposal%202014%20to%202016.pdf

Leinster Championship

Counties
Laois, Antrim, Carlow, Westmeath, London in a "qualifying" group
Played on a round robin basis

Each team plays four games

Top two teams qualify for Leinster Quarter Finals

4th
placed team plays Christy Ring Winners in promotion/relegation play

-
off

Bottom placed team automatically relegated
to Christy Ring Cup

Looks like you have to 'win your way up' which has its merits, but god forbid you've to win your way up out of Div1b.

There'll be no promotion/playoff until next year and I presume there's no relegation out of the Liam McCarthy until next year also.

Lecale2

I think Kerry decided not to go up 2 years ago because they would go into the Munster championship which would be a huge step up. At least in Leinster it's seeded and you would be in against the likes of Antrim, Carlow and westmeath.

johnneycool

Right, time for a rethink..

In Munster you've 5 teams, Cork, Tipp, Clare, Waterford and Limerick all at a pretty level standard.

In Leinster you've Kilkenny, Galway, Wexford, Dublin and Offaly, the last three possibly a bit below the first two, but semi-competitive as per Offalys showing at the weekend..

Then you've the rest, Laois, Antrim, Carlow, Westmeath, and the Christy Ring winners from the previous year.

Let the rest play off in a round robin basis 'qualifying group', 4 games each which would be pretty competitive, then the top two get drawn into either the Munster section or the Leinster section. Bottom team into the Christy Ring..

The Munster championships and Leinster champions ships get played off with two preliminary rounds in both, semis, finals as normal. Leinster is seeded currently where the previous winners aren't drawn into a preliminary round AFAIK, I'd seed both finalists to prevent them being drawn into preliminary rounds, and the same in Munster.

The back door teams would only be those who made it into the Munster and Leinster championships proper as the qualifying group have already had 4 games.

This way mismatches would be kept to a minimum, the top two teams out of the qualifiers will get at least two games against better opposition and have already had 4 games to prepare for it.
The back door games will be competitive, less mismatches, as well.

Any other thoughts???

LeoMc

Quote from: Lecale2 on June 12, 2013, 05:33:43 PM

From reading that it looks like last year was the last opportunity for the CR winners do move up at their own discretion and from next year the winners can to win there way up through an additional promotion / relegation play off so for this year there only was no way to move up.

With 2 teams going down into the CR cup next year it could be that bit more difficult for the likes of Down to get up there.

That document also seems to answer my initial question, from next year the CR winners would go into the Leinster qualifier group. This leads to the question what would happen if Kerry won it?