Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONARAGGATIP

great win away from home, one more win should be enough to ensure safety.

Nanderson

Sounded like a hard battling win with Roscommon pushing on in the 3rd quarter. One more win should ensure safety and who knows what else after that as the league seems to be very tight. I think for this season to be a successful one Burns has to find a way of getting Harrison and O'Hare playing together as they are comfortably our 2 best attackers with O'Hagan not far behind

Lecale Gael

great result. will do wonders for the lads confidence

if we can beat Clare at esler then it would be div 2 safety secured with games away to Tipp and Meath and a final home game v Cavan
2016 Prediction Competition 3rd place :)

Nanderson

Quote from: Lecale Gael on February 11, 2018, 04:53:30 PM
great result. will do wonders for the lads confidence

if we can beat Clare at esler then it would be div 2 safety secured with games away to Tipp and Meath and a final home game v Cavan
Tipp game is at home and cavan game is away

SHEEDY

excellent hard fought and deserved win today. great for the players, management and supporters to be going into the mini break in the league fixtures on the back of a positive result.

Down produced a gritty display to earn a 0-12 to 0-7 away win over Roscommon in Division Two of the Football League.

The Mourne County hit the opening six points with Roscommon's prospects not helped by Ian Kilbride's and they remained 0-9 to 0-3 ahead at half-time.

Roscommon hit four straight points before Down keeper Marc Reid crucially saved a Ciaran Murtagh penalty.

A Darren O'Hagan point got Down scoring again before further Darragh O'Hanlon and Niall Madine scores.

Niall Donnelly's point opened the scoring for Down with O'Hagan, fit-again Ryan Johnston, Caolan Mooney and Donal O'Hare (two) notching the Mourne County's early points.

Despite Kilbride's dismissal after he picked a second yellow card, Roscommon responded with three points, including two Cian McKeon efforts, but Down regrouped to hit three more scores before half-time from Colm Flanagan, Anthony Doherty and O'Hare.

Ciaran Murtagh's half-time introduction boosted Roscommon and his brother Diarmuid hit two scores before two more points from another substitute Donie Shine reduced Down's lead to 0-9 to 0-7 by the 53rd minute.

At that stage the momentum appeared to be with the Rossies but then came a turning point as Down keeper Reid spread himself to save Murtagh's penalty.

O'Hagan's superb point from play two minutes later was a steadying score for Down.

After a scoreless 12 minutes, O'Hanlon's free added to Down's lead with Madine's score rounding off their win.

Down's win puts them level at the top of the table on four points with leaders Cork although Meath and Cavan, both on three points, have a game in hand on the Rebel and Mourne counties.
nil satis nisi optimum

Targetman

Great result for Down today, have to be honest I didn't see it happening after last weeks performance but 4 points with 2 more home games to come puts us in a good place, not much between any teams in this league (apart from Louth)

Aristo 60

10 down scorers (to Roscommon's 4) should mean plenty of the lads enjoyed the game yesterday  :)

Lecale Gael

free takers of the likes of Carr, Mason, G McCartan make such a difference

Anthony Doherty and Darragh OHanlon and Donal Ohare look like being our go to men for the dead ball duites

down need to get the supply to the opposition 45 quicker than they do and this can increase the chances of getting frees in the modern game

just a thought

umpire

Easter

Easter Tuesday,3rd of April
Div one league games

Rostrevor v Clonduff
Ballyholland v Burren
Saval v An Riocht
Downpatrick v Castlewellan
Bryansford v Kilcoo
Mayobridge v CPN

ApresMatch

Any reason why these games are on a Tuesday?

thewobbler

Quote from: ApresMatch on February 14, 2018, 08:16:08 AM
Any reason why these games are on a Tuesday?
To allow for family commitments on Easter weekend.

Targetman

The players will love this, no scoops over Easter weekend!!

thewobbler

Quote from: Targetman on February 14, 2018, 10:03:12 PM
The players will love this, no scoops over Easter weekend!!
Easter Tuesday fixtures are scheduled almost every year.

Apparently the season dragged on too long last year (even though late October / early November league playoffs happened every year I played football), so if you're suggesting the county board are wrong to do this, then I'd suggest they cannot win.

Lecale Gael

Anyone know how Down minors did today ?

I see the U16's won both games v Antrim

JimmyFloydMay123

Can I just begin with saying how good of a tournament I think the Malachy Murdock is, which is ironic as he was such a great man. I went on Friday night - a miserable night may I add to see the stone against the harps. Inevitably both teams where rusty as it is preseason but I must say both teams did very well and made it a great game. The stone under shorty where aggressive and hungry, and with polie and ambrose playing made it a hard game for Ballyholland. The Harps were a bit slow to start of the game but gradually got there and played some great fluent football. Talking to a few men while watching the warm up I noticed a few new faces in the Ballyholland squad- later finding out that 5 of the squad are still playing minor football this year. 2 of these started and played great stuff- one eventually scoring the winning goal. Not often a team mixes in so many young players in the one batch but Poacher obviously sees something within these players as not any Tom Dick or Harry can play senior football. From what I saw, The stone will have great spirit and momentum going forward and should be there or there abouts for promotion to Division 1, while the Harps can look forward with promise to the future, with the energy these young players bring and the experience they still have- was a great watch.