Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aristo 60

Are yiz for Breffni?

First and only Ulster opposition in the league may prove some sort of barometer for us for the first part of the summer.

Safe trip all to and take 'er cool around those Cootehill/Ballybay corners!

Aristo 60

Yiz must have no interest or only have eyes for the Ulster rugby trial thread.

Any word of a team?

Dubh driocht

I hope to go - more in hope than expectation,
I think Burns will stick with more or less the same team but likely to bring in Connaire Harrison. There's too much pressure being put on Connaire imo; might be better keeping him on the bench to start with. O'Hare had a good first 45 minutes against Clare and O'Hagan should come good with more time under his belt.
I would start Shane Harrison in goals as he's a better all round bet than Reid but the Ford man likely to get the call.
Defence were just ok last day but performed well in the first three games so not many changes expected.
Stick with Doherty on the fees from 40-60m and the 45s.
I would start McKernan with Donnelly at mf and keep McKibbin as an option off the bench. Maginn was subdued the last day but quality normally comes back quickly and he has been consistent for 8 years!
A point would be good, two would be great but I think we will find it tough.

Smurfy123

Aaron Morgan for McKibbon
Harrison for Maginn
McKernan for Johnstone

That's the changes I would make.B O Hagen needs the games as he missed last season and is a threat when he gets going.Thought the defence done well against Clare
Darren o Hagen and Caolan Mooney have are great at attacking

ardtole

I'd go for
Harrisson/Reid
Flanagan mcardle ohagan
Ohanlon mcparland Mooney
Donnelly Poland
Millar McKernan r.johnson
Ohare Harrisson morgan
I think we could get 2 points on sat night, Burns has experimented in the first four games and there has been some positives, but I think the time is right to start our strongest side and get in championship mode.
I expect he will start Maginn but I just don't think he effects the game enough from such an important position and I don't know where else he could fit in.

ardtole

I see McKiernan is named at FF for Cavan. Burns might pick Docherty to man mark him, similar to when he was drafted in to mark Murnin against Armagh in the championship last year. A horses for courses situation.

SHEEDY

barry o'hagan has left the panel apparently, wont be involved tonight.
nil satis nisi optimum

Nanderson

Quote from: SHEEDY on March 10, 2018, 01:16:44 PM
barry o'hagan has left the panel apparently, wont be involved tonight.
as far as i know hes going on a stag this weekend

Smurfy123

Hearing reports Darren doesn't play tonight either but no team named yet
Hopefully not true as he is playing well

Smurfy123

Anyone the starting team last night?

snoopdog

Allianz FL D2: Cavan maintain impressive form
Saturday, March 10, 2018

Allianz Football League Division Two

CAVAN 0-17 DOWN 0-14

By Paul Fitzpatrick at Kingspan Breffni

Cavan are one step closer to achieving their goal of returning to Division 1 after they saw off Down in an eventful clash at Kingspan Breffni.

The visitors will feel they did enough to come away with something, but some wayward shooting cost them and Cavan finished stronger with a succession of quality scores in the dying minutes. Key to their success was the form of Gearoid McKiernan, who was excellent throughout.

At half-time, the Mourne men led by the odd point in 13 after a helter skelter 35 minutes.

Down, coming off the back of a disappointing home loss to Clare, were the better side in that opening half when, backed by the wind, they soaked up a lot of Cavan pressure and broke out of defence at pace, with pacey ball-carrier Ryan Johnston and target man Connaire Harrison prominent.

For Cavan, McKiernan, making his first start of the campaign, was the Breffni side's go-to man. He kicked the opening point after four minutes and youngster Caoimhin O'Reilly booted over a second but the next four fell to Down.

Donal O'Hare landed the first and the lively Harrison levelled matters before Anthony Doherty came up from the half-back line – where he was marking Dara McVeety – to boom over a 50-metre free from the ground.

And when Harrison sent over an exquisite score after a nice dummy, the visitors were two up and humming.

Cavan, to their credit, hauled themselves back into the contest and after sub Cian Mackey and O'Hare (with a wonderful free from the sideline) traded points, O'Reilly (free) and McKiernan tied the game again on the half-hour mark.

Bryan Magee, with a long-range free, nudged Cavan in front again but Down had the final say in the first half with Ryan Johnston blazing through for his first and O'Hara adding another free from the hands.

Tempers flared at the break, with referee Padraig O'Sullivan speaking to mentors; Down manager Eamonn Burns did not re-appear on the sideline for the second half.

The attritional nature of proceedings continued on the restart. With the wind at their backs, Cavan began brightly, sub Adrian Cole teeing Conor Moynagh up for a well-taken score.

A long-range Doherty free was cancelled out by a superb point from veteran Mackey, now in his 14th season with the Blues, and when McKiernan drove over a huge score from outside the 45, Cavan sensed they could kick on.

Down, though, had other ideas and hung in there stubbornly. Shay Millar clipped in to level the teams yet again in the 48th minute, but Cavan finally put some daylight between them with three points in five minutes from O'Reilly (free), sub Conor Bradley and Oisin Kiernan.

The home side were living dangerously, though. Raymond Galligan was called into action and saved smartly and Down looked to be in for a certain goal only for Milar, who had to be helped off afterwards, to be upended.

O'Hare and Man of the Match McKiernan – with a massive score from the wing – both raised white flags but Down wouldn't go away and they were soon on level terms again with points from Caolan Mooney, Kevin McKernan and Ruairi Wells.

Entering the tension-filled last five minutes, there was nothing between them but Cavan would out-score their opponents by 0-4 to 0-1 when it mattered most.

Sub Sean Johnston conjured a beauty, Dara McVeety did likewise and goalkeeper Ray Galligan converted a 45 deep in injury time.

Harrison hit back with a free but Cavan had one final break out of defence and newcomer Conor Bradley made it count, fisting over the insurance point to seal a hard-earned win for Mattie McGleenan's men.

Scorers for Cavan: Gearoid McKiernan 0-4, Caoimhin O'Reilly 0-3 (2fs), Cian Mackey 0-2, Conor Bradley 0-2, Raymond Galligan 0-1 (45), Bryan Magee 0-1 (f), Dara McVeety 0-1, Conor Moynagh 0-1, Oisin Kiernan 0-1.

Scorers for Down: Donal O'Hare 0-4 (3fs), Connaire Harrison 0-3 (1f), Anthony Doherty 0-2 (2fs),  Shay Millar 0-1, Ryan Johnston 0-1, Caolan Mooney 0-1, Ruairi Wells 0-1, Kevin McKernan 0-1 .

CAVAN: Raymond Galligan, Jason McLoughlin, Padraig Faulkner, Conor Brady, Martin Reilly, Ciaran Brady, Enda Flanagan, Stephen Murray, Bryan Magee, Dara McVeety, Conor Moynagh, Oisin Kiernan, Niall Clerkin, Gearoid McKiernan, Caoimhin O'Reilly

Subs: Cian Mackey for Conor Brady (25 mins), Adrian Cole for Clerkin (h/t), Conor Bradley) for Moynagh (45), Sean Johnston (0-1) for Flanagan (65), Killian Clarke for Murray (68)

DOWN: Marc Reid, Colm Flanagan, Brendan McArdle, Anthony Doherty, Ruairi Wells, Niall McParland, Caolan Mooney, Peter Turley, Niall Donnelly, Conor Francis, Conor Maginn, Shay Millar, Connaire Harrison, Donal O'Hare, Ryan Johnston

Subs: Kevin McKernan for Francis (45), David McKibbin for Millar (57), Conor Poland for Donnelly, Ronan Millar for O'Hare (68).

REFEREE: Padraig O'Sullivan

downjim

2 players from Burren, 1 from Kilcoo and 0 from Mayobridge. Our county management team need to watch more division one and senior championship  ::)

Brick Tamlin

So who is missing then Jimbo.?
Name them.

Smurfy123

Gerard McGovern
Mark McKay
Darragh O Hanlon
Dabs Brannigan

And don't come with the line be won't join the squad go and ask him don't send someone else to ask him

Be interesting to see do the lads that went on the stag get the same treatment as Gerard

downjim

"There must be players in the lower divisions" . There is a lot of great players in division one. That's why they are in division one 👌👌👌