I don't have a vote but would vote "Yes" if I did
107 (46.5%)
I don't have a vote but would vote "No" if I did
26 (11.3%)
I don't have a vote and haven't decided how I would vote if I did
9 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 230

Rossfan

I'll be voting NO as I'm of the opinion that Marriage is a special thingy between a man and a woman.
Gay couples have Civil ppartnership which gives them the same legal rights and protection as marriage.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

foxcommander

This issue causes a national referendum?? WTF. Wasting cash again.
If we concentrated on fixing the actual problems in the country rather than this smokescreen we'd be better off.
No chance of adding a few items up for debate and to the voting ticket. Water charges anyone?

Still, takes the heat off the government. That'll do nicely.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

foxcommander

Quote from: Rossfan on February 06, 2015, 09:21:28 PM
I'll be voting NO as I'm of the opinion that Marriage is a special thingy between a man and a woman.
Gay couples have Civil ppartnership which gives them the same legal rights and protection as marriage.

There's words for people like you.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Maguire01

Quote from: foxcommander on February 06, 2015, 09:23:30 PM
This issue causes a national referendum?? WTF. Wasting cash again.
If we concentrated on fixing the actual problems in the country rather than this smokescreen we'd be better off.
No chance of adding a few items up for debate and to the voting ticket. Water charges anyone?

Still, takes the heat off the government. That'll do nicely.
You still just don't get it. One of these things requires a change to the constitution, the other doesn't.

J70

Quote from: The Iceman on February 06, 2015, 09:15:45 PM
Quote from: Oraisteach on February 06, 2015, 09:05:45 PM
Iceman, I don't know what you mean by "gave up the right to."  Are you suggesting that at one time Christians, in some way, owned marriage?  Then what about married Jews, Muslims or atheists?  We're they not married?  Of course the church has every right to say who it will or will not marry, but marriage isn't simply a religious union, it's a civil one too, so shouldn't two people in love be allowed to marry and to enjoy the legal protections of the marriage contract?
I think it's funny how you start off with I don't know what you mean and then continue to argue with yourself over what you think I mean :)

Most of the Christian debate on Gay Marriage is centered around a re-defining of marriage. My response is that we gave up any rights we had to the term Marriage a long time ago within the confines of the Church. Marriage within the Church isn't really anything exclusively sacred anymore. For a nice envelope any man or woman can be married. So I have no problem with people getting "married".

Does the Church though have the right to say who it will or will not marry? Do you think that right will remain safe over the coming years? I personally don't.

The Nolan debate was enjoyable as always to watch. He invites people on for a reason.

On what grounds can a church be made to marry someone it does not want to?

If the only marriages that were recognized by a state were religious ones, you might have a point.

Oraisteach

Iceman, you say that you have no problem with "people getting married."  Same-sex couples are people, so you'd have no problem with them getting "married," albeit outside the church?

Rossfan

Quote from: foxcommander on February 06, 2015, 09:24:49 PM

There's words for people like you.
Correction -
There ARE words.
I presume the words are
Voter
Adult
Opinion

The Iceman

Quote from: Oraisteach on February 06, 2015, 09:37:03 PM
Iceman, you say that you have no problem with "people getting married."  Same-sex couples are people, so you'd have no problem with them getting "married," albeit outside the church?
thats what I said.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

The Iceman

Quote from: J70 on February 06, 2015, 09:32:02 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on February 06, 2015, 09:15:45 PM
Quote from: Oraisteach on February 06, 2015, 09:05:45 PM
Iceman, I don't know what you mean by "gave up the right to."  Are you suggesting that at one time Christians, in some way, owned marriage?  Then what about married Jews, Muslims or atheists?  We're they not married?  Of course the church has every right to say who it will or will not marry, but marriage isn't simply a religious union, it's a civil one too, so shouldn't two people in love be allowed to marry and to enjoy the legal protections of the marriage contract?
I think it's funny how you start off with I don't know what you mean and then continue to argue with yourself over what you think I mean :)

Most of the Christian debate on Gay Marriage is centered around a re-defining of marriage. My response is that we gave up any rights we had to the term Marriage a long time ago within the confines of the Church. Marriage within the Church isn't really anything exclusively sacred anymore. For a nice envelope any man or woman can be married. So I have no problem with people getting "married".

Does the Church though have the right to say who it will or will not marry? Do you think that right will remain safe over the coming years? I personally don't.

The Nolan debate was enjoyable as always to watch. He invites people on for a reason.

On what grounds can a church be made to marry someone it does not want to?

If the only marriages that were recognized by a state were religious ones, you might have a point.
It may not happen in Ireland but in some states in America I'd say fairly soon Churches (on the grounds of equal rights) will be forced to conduct same sex ceremonies or face the consequences.
Many of the Protestant Churches are already breaking off into yet more ones that support Gay Marriage. The church of england already support it so look for the Church of Ireland to jump on that wagon too. I'd say it won't be long before it is being forced.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

charlieTully

You will be voting no because you are a homophobe. you are the ultimate hypocrite. A self righteous twat.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Oraisteach

Iceman, you're confusing me.  On the one hand, you say you don't agree with a 'Yes' vote, but now you say you'd have no problem with same-sex couples marrying outside the church.  Why oppose a 'Yes' vote then?

Also, I don't see how the Catholic Church can be forced to conduct a service contrary to its principles. 

Esmarelda

Quote from: J70 on February 06, 2015, 06:39:08 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on February 06, 2015, 10:39:06 AM
I always assumed I'd vote yes before I heard any debate. What's putting me off is the obnoxiousness of the yes side, and by that I mean the general public in social media.
If anyone with any doubts brings up, for example, that by allowing gay marriage it's the first step to allowing polygamy, they are scoffed at.

I'll still probably vote yes but maybe I need to listen to different debates.

Whining about obnoxiousness is just looking for an excuse or an out.

Vote based on logic and the merits of the issue, not because someone else's overzealousness or rudeness.
You are factually incorrect if you're referring to my particular whining.

I agree with your second point and will do so. I just pointed out how I find some of the Yes side.

Rossfan

Quote from: charlieTully on February 06, 2015, 10:22:45 PM

You will be voting no because you are a homophobe. you are the ultimate hypocrite. A self righteous twat.
You know nothing about me and your silly clichéd comments prove that.

seafoid

Does civil partnership allow the surviving partner to get a spouse's pension ?   
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU