The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

He was badly exposed under the high ball on a few
occasions and didn't get space to show what he can do.

He definitely looks like an impact player of Kearney is fit he'll play there.

Milltown Row2

Argentina+17 points was a superb bet!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: screenexile on November 10, 2018, 10:12:19 PM

Ireland in general looked poor under the high ball, i.e. the man going up for it and a lack of bodies in the way of the chasing catcher which seems to be an OK thing to do now going by both other games on the TV over the weekend.

Hard getting used to Ryle Nugent of Channel 4 all the same.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnnycool on November 12, 2018, 12:58:22 PM

Ireland in general looked poor under the high ball, i.e. the man going up for it and a lack of bodies in the way of the chasing catcher which seems to be an OK thing to do now going by both other games on the TV over the weekend.

If the weather is dry I'd be more worried about runners than the high ball, especially as the All Black's kicking game wasn't too special against England.

I'd worry about Best - if he isn't right on his game the Ireland lineout will get minced.

Insane Bolt

Forecast for a dry day.....have gone for All Blacks -6 10/11

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 12, 2018, 01:40:25 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on November 12, 2018, 12:58:22 PM

If the weather is dry I'd be more worried about runners than the high ball, especially as the All Black's kicking game wasn't too special against England.

I'd worry about Best - if he isn't right on his game the Ireland lineout will get minced.

Agree with that - wonder does Toner start - he isnt as good as some of the other options from Open play but a while asset at lineout time - 6ft 10 will do that for you
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Walter Cronc

Retallick was unreal on Sat v England. I like Henderson but the lineout was poor on Sat. Obviously Best takes a big element of responsibility here.

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 12, 2018, 02:11:39 PM
Retallick was unreal on Sat v England. I like Henderson but the lineout was poor on Sat. Obviously Best takes a big element of responsibility here.

Yip arguably best player in world this year although not in the nominees for world rugby player of the year - but he is playing at the level of 2014 when he won it.  Also have to factor him and Whitelock both missing in the Ireland win vs NZ in Chicago - obv still a great day for Irish rugby to eventually get the win over the ABs but they had a makeshift 2nd row that day.  They will be coming to Ireland this weekend with a fully fit 15 (AFAIK) and maybe looking to a bit of a backlash from a poor enough performance themselves vs England.  Head saying NZ by 10-20 points - Heart says Ireland by 5
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Hound

Larmour is brilliant, but he looked a long way short of international calibre full back. Bar against the likes of USA and Pro 14 games, I'm hoping he sticks to the wing for Ireland/Leinster for a while.

Earls not quite at his form of last year. I think Conway deserves more field time.

Second row going to be a big call for Schmidt. Hendo probably down to 4th choice now.
Centre tough call as well. I would have said it was certain it would be Ringrose and Henshaw (assuming everyone fit), but Ted was my man of the match on Saturday and it would be very tough on him if he wasn't in. I wonder would there be merit in giving Henshaw some game time at full back (although obviously not for this weekend).   

NAG1

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on November 12, 2018, 02:42:38 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 12, 2018, 02:11:39 PM

Yip arguably best player in world this year although not in the nominees for world rugby player of the year - but he is playing at the level of 2014 when he won it.  Also have to factor him and Whitelock both missing in the Ireland win vs NZ in Chicago - obv still a great day for Irish rugby to eventually get the win over the ABs but they had a makeshift 2nd row that day.  They will be coming to Ireland this weekend with a fully fit 15 (AFAIK) and maybe looking to a bit of a backlash from a poor enough performance themselves vs England.  Head saying NZ by 10-20 points - Heart says Ireland by 5

Wish I had your optimism I can see a bit of a hammering coming unfortunately, hope I am wrong.

Walter Cronc

Henshaw and Murray both ruled out. Murray was never going to play and rightly so. Would love to see John Cooney get a chance but unlikely.

Applesisapples

See the FOGS had a new song out today.

Main Street

how long does this pre-match sing song (and now a dance) go on for?

Wildweasel74

For years you never hear a word when the haka was been done; now u can barely hear it! Thats what u get with a bunch jump on the band wagon supporters,f**king worse than english supporters

From the Bunker

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 17, 2018, 07:03:45 PM
For years you never hear a word when the haka was been done; now u can barely hear it! Thats what u get with a bunch jump on the band wagon supporters,f**king worse than english supporters

In fairness, the Haka is about intimidating and not showing respect for opponents!

I have no issue with the crowd showing no respect for such a tradition.