Started by Shamrock Shore, February 11, 2013, 11:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: mouview on February 12, 2013, 02:10:57 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 12, 2013, 01:27:13 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 12, 2013, 10:17:31 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 11, 2013, 08:23:50 PM
Quote from: Orior on February 11, 2013, 08:09:05 PM
At the risk of being serious for once, a little bit of reverence wouldn't go amiss.

Despite the rise of religious scepticism, conspiracy theories and hatred for anything to do with the Catholic clergy, there are still a number of people who believe and respect the Church.
t

Are you serious?

As an Atheist and as a Republican why would I show reverence to the Head of a religious cult or a Monarch.

Were you born into an atheist family?

My family are Atheists, Agnostics and Liberal Catholics as far as I can tell. I myself was a Liberal Catholic with no time for the Pope and my own views on religion rather than following dogma, I progresses to becoming Agnostic briefly and then realised it was moronic and realised I was an Atheist. I actually started to think God couldn't be possible before my teens about the time I stopped believing in Santa, somehow managed to ignore my better judgement for several years and adhere to the bullshit of pretending just maybe. I think lots of Religious on here are just afraid to accept they really deep down know God couldn't possibly exist.

Maybe that's what Faith is - hoping for or wanting to believe in a higher power.
There are no atheists in a foxhole, so they say!

An American biblebelt preacher came up with that silly phrase.

I counter it with the Red Army winning World War 2.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: EC Unique on February 12, 2013, 01:35:08 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 12, 2013, 01:27:13 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 12, 2013, 10:17:31 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 11, 2013, 08:23:50 PM
Quote from: Orior on February 11, 2013, 08:09:05 PM
At the risk of being serious for once, a little bit of reverence wouldn't go amiss.

Despite the rise of religious scepticism, conspiracy theories and hatred for anything to do with the Catholic clergy, there are still a number of people who believe and respect the Church.
t

Are you serious?

As an Atheist and as a Republican why would I show reverence to the Head of a religious cult or a Monarch.

Were you born into an atheist family?

My family are Atheists, Agnostics and Liberal Catholics as far as I can tell. I myself was a Liberal Catholic with no time for the Pope and my own views on religion rather than following dogma, I progresses to becoming Agnostic briefly and then realised it was moronic and realised I was an Atheist. I actually started to think God couldn't be possible before my teens about the time I stopped believing in Santa, somehow managed to ignore my better judgement for several years and adhere to the bullshit of pretending just maybe. I think lots of Religious on here are just afraid to accept they really deep down know God couldn't possibly exist.

You are quite typical of a lot of people today. Born into a Catholic family, rebel, declare that their is no God and go about your life.

Most that go down that path will return to their religion in later life when they realise that it is a lonely place without faith and they don't want to face death without it. A lot of people return to their faith when faced with death or terminal illness.

Me a rebel! I hardly think so. I am quite the conformist.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

The Iceman

Cardinal Dolan from the U.S would be young enough to take on the role and was instrumental in the proper handling of the sex abuse cases here under his watch. I think he has what it takes to lead the Church and not be overly swayed by lawyers or lobbyists.

The talk about modernizing the church is just that; talk. A new Pope is not going to come in and change the faith. The Church, the traditions and the Bible will remain the same. What the Catholic World needs is honest, open leadership, a fresh outpouring of the Holy Spirit, an end to corruption within the ranks of the church and a renewal of faith. I think with the right man this can happen over time. Someone in their 50s could have 20 years to help.

I remain hopeful.

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

johnneycool

Quote from: The Iceman on February 12, 2013, 04:33:47 PM
Cardinal Dolan from the U.S would be young enough to take on the role and was instrumental in the proper handling of the sex abuse cases here under his watch. I think he has what it takes to lead the Church and not be overly swayed by lawyers or lobbyists.

The talk about modernizing the church is just that; talk. A new Pope is not going to come in and change the faith. The Church, the traditions and the Bible will remain the same. What the Catholic World needs is honest, open leadership, a fresh outpouring of the Holy Spirit, an end to corruption within the ranks of the church and a renewal of faith. I think with the right man this can happen over time. Someone in their 50s could have 20 years to help.

I remain hopeful deluded.

Pangurban

Nail on Head Iceman, sound common sense

Tubberman

I remain hopeful.

The Church has been corrupt for centuries. It's just another power-hungry organisation. There was a guy on Matt Cooper this evening going through some of the stuff that happened - murder, affairs, bribery, farce.
It's like a bigger, longer-running version of Fianna Fail.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

muppet

I remain hopeful.

Is this the man who opposed extending the statute of limitations on accusations of sexual abuse against clergy?
MWWSI 2017

heganboy

the self same guy, wouldnt be the biggest fan of gay marriage either..

QuoteTimothy Cardinal Dolan hit Albany for a round of lobbying on issues close to the heart of the Catholic Church, with those ranging from abortion to same-sex marriage.  Per our Glenn Blain, Dolan also spoke at length about a subject arguably as controversial as either of those: The Child Victims Act, which would extend the statute of limitations in clergy sexual abuse cases.

"We feel that this is terribly unjust. It singles [out] the church and it would be -- and I use the word purposefully -- devastating for the life of the church," Dolan told reporters gathered in the LCA.

"And the governor listens. He's a good lawyer. He reminded us of his allegiance to classical jurisprudence that would see a great benefit in the protection of the statute of limitations to see that the innocent of protected and that justice is done," he said.

A bill sponsored by Assemblywoman Margaret Markey would extend the statute of limitations by five years, until victims turn 28, in civil and criminal cases. State Sen. Andrew Lanza has a similar bill in his chamber.

Later, Dolan told reporters of his lobbying against the Child Victims Act, even when judgments are brought in years-old cases involving the church, "the people that -- the perpetrators don't suffer. There is no burden on them. What suffers are the services and the ministries and the apostolates that we're doing now. Because where does the money come from? So the bishops of 30 years ago that allegedly may have re-assigned abusers, they don't suffer. They're dead, all right? So the people that suffer are those who are being served right now by the church. And we feel that is a terribly unjust burden. That schools close and charities shrink, all the good work that the church does."

Dolan also said the bishops have been "contrite" in admitting the church has handled molestation scandals poorly, but is trying to do more now -- and isn't getting credit for that: So it does bother us that the church continues to be a whipping boy and that year after year after year this piece of legislation that feel would unjustly target the church keeps being presented."

Generally, Dolan said his meeting with Cuomo "went very well."

"We always enjoy our meetings with the governors. But with Gov. Cuomo, they are particularly friendly and substantive," Dolan said. "I don't mind telling you we thanked him and congratulated him that he seems to have restored a sense of trust and confidence, competence in state government. And we thanked him for that."

Dolan said the bishops expressed their concerns about the Reproductive Health Act:

"For one it seems to be predicated upon almost a paranoia that abortion rights, the abortion license is being restrained or setback. We kind of wish it were and it's not. If anything, we keep seeing it being expanded. Secondly, we are worried about an intrusion of the life of the church. Our attorneys tell us be careful because if this law passes, church health facilities and hospitals may be coerced to doing abortions. We just think there needs to be some movement on the other side... Instead of expanding the license, we'd like to see some prudent restraint about it."

On gay marriage, Dolan said they expressed worries to Cuomo about the implementation of the law -- that it's implementation might intrude on "the integrity of the church."
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

muppet

The Church really needs a Gorbachev figure.
MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

I don't think a being a fan of Gay marriage would be a requirement for the new Pope.....

I think your earlier post about the Church becoming narrower is accurate. I don't think it will remain there. But I think as part of the rebuilding it will have to start off that way and then hopefully grow.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

johnneycool

Quote from: The Iceman on February 12, 2013, 08:52:37 PM
I don't think a being a fan of Gay marriage would be a requirement for the new Pope.....

I think your earlier post about the Church becoming narrower is accurate. I don't think it will remain there. But I think as part of the rebuilding it will have to start off that way and then hopefully grow.

How far up the new pope's things to do should equality for women be?

Should they be allowed to join the priesthood?

Ball DeBeaver

Quote from: johnneycool on February 13, 2013, 08:44:12 AM

Any good catholic woman knows her place in the church. In the kitchen.  ;D
ani ohevet et Yisrael.
אני אוהבת את ישראל

magpie seanie

Quote from: johnneycool on February 13, 2013, 08:44:12 AM

In all fairness is that not a no-brainer? Or maybe all people aren't created equal.....

magpie seanie

I hope whoever takes over does away with these food fascism days. Two choices on our canteen menu today - fish or fish. Supermacs will be busy, better head over early....