Belfast rioting over removal of Union Jack

Started by Maurice Moss, December 04, 2012, 02:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nifan

Quote from: LeoMc on December 11, 2012, 10:56:48 AM
Quote from: trasna man on December 11, 2012, 09:18:57 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on December 11, 2012, 08:59:25 AM
What was the story about renaming the RVH?
I didn't catch the story, have just people complaining about it.
Gerry Kelly was using it to point out how much Britishness there is around the wee six and the Unionist get hung up on the flag

That would explain it. I thought from some of the reactions he wanted to rename it.

Im sure some would - I remember some going on about renaming Queens to UCB when I was there.

imtommygunn

There were no protests planned for Belfast last ngiht though and it went mad. Not sure they're sticking too rigidly to their itinerary....

LeoMc

Quote from: omagh_gael on December 11, 2012, 10:40:36 AM
Are these poor souls kind enough to post up an itinerary of planned protests anywhere in t'internet? I'm working in N Belfast tomorrow and i don't want to be late home for my spuds.

Saw a tweet from Newton Emerson this morning, did a politician come out and say that the PSNI should shut down Facebook to stop the protests being organised online?

ziggysego

Quote from: LeoMc on December 11, 2012, 11:03:39 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on December 11, 2012, 10:40:36 AM
Are these poor souls kind enough to post up an itinerary of planned protests anywhere in t'internet? I'm working in N Belfast tomorrow and i don't want to be late home for my spuds.

Saw a tweet from Newton Emerson this morning, did a politician come out and say that the PSNI should shut down Facebook to stop the protests being organised online?

That's must be why it "crashed" last night ;)
Testing Accessibility

give her dixie

http://newsthump.com/2012/12/11/loyalist-rioters-bemoan-petrol-prices/

Loyalist rioters bemoan petrol prices

As unrest continues in Belfast, loyalists have insisted that the price of petrol is impacting upon their ability to carry out violent protests to an acceptable standard.

Many have insisted that protests against Belfast City Council's decision to fly the union flag at city hall only on certain days, are becoming too expensive.

Rioters claim that petrol is an integral part of voicing their disapproval, and the spiralling fuel costs could see an end to rioting as a visual spectacle.

"I've tried looking at alternatives," said one protester who wished to remain nameless.

"I went to B&Q and I ended buying some synthetic rubber based adhesive."

"Unfortunately, No More Nails bombs don't really cause that much damage, although they do slow things down a bit."

Petrol prices

With reports suggesting that some rioters have been reduced to throwing bricks and stones, protesters have insisted that this doesn't adequately reflect how comprehensively bothered they are.

"The sight of a stone bouncing harmlessly of a riot shield isn't going to make the news headlines," remarked another nameless protester.

"The government need to recognise that burning things is the only way we can get our message across effectively and in an entertaining way."

Minister for the Cabinet Office Francis Maude was sympathetic to the protesters plight, but insisted that everyone had to tighten their belts in the current economic climate.

"Rioters have to make sacrifices like everyone else," he insisted.

"Maybe they could use charcoal briquettes and lighter fluid to make some fiery stones."

"I can't see what could possibly go wrong."

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

johnneycool

Quote from: AQMP on December 11, 2012, 09:21:32 AM
Did anyone see the clown from Belfast Chamber of Trade blaming SF, SDLP and Alliance for the trouble?  I see Robinson and Nesbitt have been meeting to discuss ways to promote "British Culture" in NI.

Saw that clown on last night alright, some sort of warped logic where everyone is to blame except the unionists who don't like democracy at work when it isn't in their favour..

brokencrossbar1

f**k knows what would happen if there was ever a democratic vote to re-unify?  Democracy so long as it is our democracy, ye gotta love it!

seafoid

Who is behind it all ? Who is pulling the strings? 

fitzroyalty

Quote from: seafoid on December 11, 2012, 12:02:20 PM
I think it's all more or less social media. I was in Belfast on Saturday, they basically closed down city hall for about an hour or so, had a speech or two that no one could hear, burnt a Tricolour, looked at each other and ended up sporadically walking off to their respective areas to begin the non-peaceful segment of their protests.

southdown

Given today's cenus results and the flag issue do any of you feel that there is genuine fear among Unionists, or is this all a case of spides/hoods rioting for the sure hell of it?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

I am sure a lot of you will have read this already but just in case-

Northern Ireland became the laughing stock of the world again over the weekend, as die-hard Christmas fans violently protested that Belfast's Christmas tree was no longer going to be on display for 365 days of the year.

Christmas trees, which are only erected over the winter festive season in the rest of the world, have been an all year round fixture at Belfast City Hall for many years. However a recent democratic vote on the matter has seen Belfast follow in the footsteps of Lapland, to adopt the same Christmas tree policy as Santa himself. However some Christmas fans think it's still an affront.

"It's an utter disgrace" said loyal Christmas lover Billy Knuckleson, "I am Christmas through-and-through, and I demand that my insecurities on the matter are reassured at all times by the year round display of a Christmas tree at City Hall!"

When we explained that not even Santa puts up his Christmas tree all year round, and that Belfast is now equal to the North Pole on the matter of erecting a tree, he seemed unmoved.
"I don't care for your rational and reasoned mumbo jumbo" he barked. "It's nice to be equal to our beloved Lapland naturally... but we expect to be MORE equal."
"God Save Santa!!" he shouted finally before rejoining a group of men burning a Christmas tree to make their point about how we should respect Christmas trees.
Santa, who was watching it unfold on TV at his winter palace at the North Pole, was said to be disgusted at the sight of spides rioting in the name of Christmas.
"These rioters don't represent the good name of the Christmas empire I reign over!" he said.
"Plus, If they have a valid point, why do they have their Christmas scarves covering their faces?" he asked one of his elves.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: fitzroyalty on December 11, 2012, 12:13:30 PM
I think it's all more or less social media. I was in Belfast on Saturday, they basically closed down city hall for about an hour or so, had a speech or two that no one could hear, burnt a Tricolour, looked at each other and ended up sporadically walking off to their respective areas to begin the non-peaceful segment of their protests.
No point wrecking an area you don't live in if there is funding to be had.

Cold tea

Quote from: southdown on December 11, 2012, 12:20:40 PM
Given today's cenus results and the flag issue do any of you feel that there is genuine fear among Unionists, or is this all a case of spides/hoods rioting for the sure hell of it?

The rioting doesn't start until the evening, they need a chance to wake up - the bastards should get their benefits stopped if caught rioting.

LeoMc

I think there was a BNP Representative speaking on Saturday.

The plan to demonise Alliance to win E Belfast back for a Robinson could all backfire  if the BNP come in to provide a political outlet for the working class protestants who are generally treated as canon fodder by the Big House Unionists.

Keepthefaith93

Quote from: Cold tea on December 11, 2012, 12:45:34 PM
Quote from: southdown on December 11, 2012, 12:20:40 PM

The rioting doesn't start until the evening, they need a chance to wake up - the b**tards should get their benefits stopped if caught rioting.

Couldn't agree more, that would put an end to it.