Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Ulick on June 13, 2011, 11:27:21 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 13, 2011, 11:16:23 PM
Quote from: Ulick on June 13, 2011, 10:59:33 PM
Dublin-Monaghan is the only thing that springs to mind.

The sad thing is I believe you. Some people don't deserve a republic.

Sorry, did I miss the Pope bombing us?

Perhaps you should look for another thread to behave like a 5 year old. This one is about a serious topic - well at least most normal people would think so.

Ulick

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 14, 2011, 12:03:43 AM
Quote from: Ulick on June 13, 2011, 11:27:21 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 13, 2011, 11:16:23 PM
Quote from: Ulick on June 13, 2011, 10:59:33 PM
Dublin-Monaghan is the only thing that springs to mind.

The sad thing is I believe you. Some people don't deserve a republic.

Sorry, did I miss the Pope bombing us?

Perhaps you should look for another thread to behave like a 5 year old. This one is about a serious topic - well at least most normal people would think so.

Eh? You asked why the Pope was coming, I explained. You expressed concern it would cost money, I explained why it probably wouldn't. You said you'd rather have the head of the British armed forces visit and in my innocence, I asked why.

Last time I'll help anyone on this Board...

mylestheslasher

I won't bore you all with the details of this case as it follows the usual pattern you will have heard before, this is the victims impact statement...

I live in dread of seeing that man. He stole my innocence, my childhood, my memories'

Saturday July 02 2011 "Like most young girls, I expected to get married and have children when I grew up. Most of my friends have done this, but when I was being abused this didn't seem possible for me anymore. This had such an effect on my that I tried to commit suicide in my teens. After years of boring repetitive jobs I realised that I wanted more and was capable of more. With help I applied for, and got a job as carer in a major hospital. For the first time in my life, I really applied myself to study, and despite my lack of basic education, I got my formal qualification. I worked very successfully in this role and loved my job. Then I received a major shock. I saw in the newspaper that he was charged and sent to jail for sexual abuse. It all came flooding back to me. I couldn't concentrate, I was thinking about it all the time. I found that in work I couldn't deal with anything that was in any way intimate with patients, such as washing or changing them. I became extremely stressed, developed health problems, and after some time, attempted suicide again. I have been lucky enough to have found a husband who is understanding and supportive. Nevertheless, I worry all the time about how our marriage can last. I find that I'm not capable of any kind of intimacy with my husband even though I really love him. Any time we try to be intimate, I keep remembering my abuser's face over me and we have to stop. I'm worried about how long he'll stay with me if this continues. Thoughts of my abuse come into my head every day. Every time I see my body I hate it. I have almost no self-esteem. I live in dread of people finding out what happened to me. I still feel guilt that I allowed the abuse to continue, even though my counsellors tell me that paedophiles are extremely cunning and expert at brainwashing their victims. I live in dread of seeing that man. He stole my innocence, my childhood, my memories, my chance of an education and prospects for the future. He ensured I would have difficulties with relationships for the rest of my life. His abuse puts my marriage at risk daily and denies me the chance of children. Whatever sentence is imposed on that man, he should realise that he has imposed a sentence on me that I will continue to serve until the day I die."

mylestheslasher

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/minister-warns-church-on-abuse-irsquoll-send-in-the-bailiffs-2813555.html

National News

Minister warns Church on abuse: I'll send in the bailiffs

The Government has threatened to send in the bailiffs after only two of 18 religious orders responsible for horrific child abuse moved to breach a compensation shortfall of up to €375m. Despite the Catholic Church agreeing to cover half the €1.36bn bill for clerical child abuse claims, the congregations have refused to budge. In the clearest signal yet that the Government is determined to force payment, Education Minister Ruairi Quinn is to pressure the orders to sign up to laws allowing the state to seize assets. The Minister said he was disappointed at offers made since the 2009 Ryan Report revealed the shocking extent of decades-long sexual, physical and psychological abuse of the most vulnerable

"The congregations' total offers fall well short, by several hundred million, of the €680m contribution they should bear towards the cost of institutional residential child abuse," he said. "In April, I called on the orders to consider handing over appropriate school infrastructure as a way to make progress towards the 50:50 target contribution. I reiterate that call now." The Department of Education said the 18 orders of priests and nuns offered €128m in cash, property and counselling services as part of a controversial indemnity deal dating back to

This was increased in 2009 to €348.5m after the Ryan report called for the 50:50 split between state and church - a cash pot of more than €100m, which was boosted by property which the orders valued at €235.5m. Mr Quinn has warned the congregations that the state has use for only a quarter of the total properties offered - 12 sites, which the Government now values at just €60. The lack of offers from the congregations, combined with a the property crash, has created a massive shortfall in the compensation fund, running to 375.5 million euro. "Of the properties offered to the State, only 12 have been identified as of potential immediate benefit to the State and these will be pursued,"

The minister said he wants congregations to agree to allow the state to identify assets and property such as schools, nursing homes, playing fields and land and legally take possession of

There would be blocking orders on transferring title without prior consent of the Department, he

Officials said congregations are also being asked to transfer properties currently leased by the state or of specific interest. "I believe that this approach affords the congregations involved the opportunity to shoulder their share of the costs of responding to the horrendous wrongs suffered by children in their care, while at the same time, recognising the legitimate legacy of their contribution to Irish education," he said. Mr Quinn also said a €110m trust will also be set up to fund the Residential Institutions Statutory Fund to support the victims of institutional

The offers of property include 49 Christian Brothers' playing fields; Presentation Sisters' St Bernard's Group Home, Fethard, Tipperary; Sisters of Our Lady of Charity childcare facility at Gracepark Rd, Drumcondra, Dublin; and Sisters of St Clare primary school, Ballyjamesduff, Co

The Sisters of Mercy offered several schools St Joseph's VEC College, Carrick on Suir; the Adult Education Centre, Waterford; land at Convent Road, Cahir, Seamount Convent and College, Kinvara, Galway Scoil Mhuire Secondary and Mercy Primary School, Ennistymon, Clare; and the Old Primary School and Hall, Trim, Meath. The order also put forward the McAuley Centre, Kells, Meath; Beaumont Convalescent Home and grounds, north Dublin; 33 acres at the National Rehabilitation Hospital Dun Laoghaire; and St Anne's Lenaboy Castle, Taylor's Hill, Galway. The Government said it will propose long-term option on further Sisters of Mercy properties including two convents in Cork, two primary schools in Mayo, and schools in Longford, Leitrim and Meath. Mr Quinn has written to the 18 orders with his response to their offers and asked for meetings to pursue the massive shortfall. The Government said it has only received 20.6m euro (£18m) in cash to date.

Back about 20 pages on this thread someone said to give the church time to pay what is due, how much more do they need? Clearly compensating tge victims of abuse is not as big a priority as self preservation.

orangeman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-14136923

no surprises really. Magee could have worked for News International !!!

The Cloyne Report has found that former Bishop John Magee falsely told the Government and the HSE that the Catholic Diocese was reporting all allegations of clerical child sexual abuse to the civil authorities.

It also found that the Bishop deliberately misled another inquiry and his own advisors by creating two different accounts of a meeting with a priest-suspect, one for the Vatican and the other for diocesan files.

Bishop John Magee, whose resignation was accepted by the Vatican last March, is criticised for his handling of allegations.

Between 1996 - when the Irish bishops introduced guidelines for mandatory reporting - and 2005, the diocese failed to report nine out of 15 complaints against priests, which 'very clearly should have been reported'.

The Commission of Inquiry has also raised concern that there is no evidence of a Garda investigation into two allegations of abuse against one priest.

Shamrock Shore

Can Magee not be arrested?

I'd have the hoor in chains along with every kiddie fiddler priest.

>:(

mylestheslasher

Is mcgee the guy cardinal Brady said didn't need to resign?

muppet

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0713/breaking63.html

Minster for Justice Alan Shatter said today he plans to introduce legislation to make it a criminal offence not to report the sexual abuse of a child or vulnerable adult.

Legislation scheduled for the autumn.

This is what the Minister for Justice should be doing, but it is incredible that this legislation doesn't already exist given our recent history.
MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

Quote from: muppet on July 13, 2011, 06:24:49 PM
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0713/breaking63.html

Minster for Justice Alan Shatter said today he plans to introduce legislation to make it a criminal offence not to report the sexual abuse of a child or vulnerable adult.

Proper order.

mylestheslasher

The government should stop any grant payments to the catholic church right now as they haven't even paid the miserly amount they were supposed to. As for the general public - well yet again another report shows just how rotten this church is and how any person can go and be part of such a group is totally beyond me as is how any good intentioned priest could morally stay within the church when they could equally serve god outside it. How many more horror stories do people need to hear? 

orangeman

Quote from: mylestheslasher on July 13, 2011, 11:37:40 PM
The government should stop any grant payments to the catholic church right now as they haven't even paid the miserly amount they were supposed to. As for the general public - well yet again another report shows just how rotten this church is and how any person can go and be part of such a group is totally beyond me as is how any good intentioned priest could morally stay within the church when they could equally serve god outside it. How many more horror stories do people need to hear?

The general public are now so used to these stories that nothing surprises them any more.  Yesterday's report called Magee a liar. And the general public didn't even bat an eye lid cos we're so used to it now. The church could come out now with all the remaining skeletons and we still wouldn't bat an eye lid. Clerical abuse ??? Sure that's old news now !

muppet

Quote from: orangeman on July 14, 2011, 11:43:37 AM

The general public are now so used to these stories that nothing surprises them any more.  Yesterday's report called Magee a liar. And the general public didn't even bat an eye lid cos we're so used to it now. The church could come out now with all the remaining skeletons and we still wouldn't bat an eye lid. Clerical abuse ??? Sure that's old news now !

You are mainly right but the reaction is not that it is old news, more that they are beneath contempt so it is difficult to think of them any lower.
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

Quote from: muppet on July 14, 2011, 11:51:08 AM
Quote from: orangeman on July 14, 2011, 11:43:37 AM

You are mainly right but the reaction is not that it is old news, more that they are beneath contempt so it is difficult to think of them any lower.
[/b]

I'd agree with that.

Jim_Murphy_74

I heard Enda Kenny complaining about Rome on the wireless there and Gilmore is meeting the Papal Nuncio.  Rather than tea, a chat and a copy of the report for the Pope, Gilmore should ask for his diplomatic seal and put him on the next plane to Rome.

It's true what posters here are saying that the muted response shows just how far this warped organisation has fallen in people's eyes.

It should give Ruari Quinn a clean run at them now, without the  bleating from the usual apologists......

/Jim.

Main Street

Taoiseach Kenny doesn't mince his manure on the issue.

The Vatican's approach to clerical abuse inquiries in Ireland has been branded a disgrace by the Taoiseach today.
"I think this is absolutely disgraceful that the Vatican took the view that it did in respect of something that's as sensitive and as personal with such long-lasting difficulties for persons involved,"
"The law of the land should not be stopped by a collar or a crozier,"