Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

Main Street

QuoteBishops will also set-a-side the first Friday of every month for prayer and fasting

What does fasting mean in the  Catholic Church?
Only one full meal a day?

Main Street

The huge settlement reached yesterday against an order in the Catholic Church has just received bare bones coverage in Irish media. It is the latest in a litter of successful cases taken against the Catholic Church in the USA.
We are all too familiar with the common pattern of denial and cover up by the Catholic Church, take it as read that they tried their level best, from the top down, to cover up and obstruct with all their might, every step of the way.

The Oregon Province of the Society of Jesus is now in federal bankruptcy court in Portland, Oregon.  Insurers will pay $118 million, and the Jesuits' Pacific Northwest province will pay $48.1 million, to about 470 people who were sexually and psychologically abused as children by Jesuit priests from the 1940s to the 1990s,
In addition, the society will publicize the names of perpetrators, issue a written apology to victims, release their medical records to them and take steps to protect children from future sexual abuse.

The Northwest includes Alaska.
Attorney Manly told reporters that the settlement was "a small step for this country recognizing the holocaust that occurred to Native Americans at these boarding schools."
"What you had at these boarding schools was nothing less than a Slobodan Milosevic-style cultural assassination using rape as an offensive weapon to control people," he said. "They can deny it, they can pretend like it didn't happen, they can minimize it, but that's what it is."

Anchorage-based attorney Kenneth Roosa
"Alaska was essentially used as a dumping ground for pedophile priests for decades,". "It was a pedophile's paradise."

The high and mighty were implicated.
Seattle University President Stephen Sundborg was named in a lawsuit alleging that Jesuit leaders covered up the crimes of priests who sexually abused at least 43 Native Alaskan children during the span of four decades.
The lawsuit, filed in Alaskan Superior Court in the city of Bethel, in 2009 states that Sundborg had access to "Hell Files" -- private church documents detailing things priests had done that were "not good" -- when he was head of a Northwest order of Jesuits from 1990 to 1996.

stew

that these animals hid behind the name of Christ to perpertrate these vile acts on innocent children is incredible, this scum and the scum that protected them should never see the light of day, the Church, the Pope and all his bishops should be on their knees begging forgiveness and no matter how many millions they bring to the table, they all have ruined the lives of millions of children the world over and in many cases their families, may God curse everyone of them that were involved in any capacity whatsoever.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Groucho

I hope you all vote with your feet and your pocket >:(
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

orangeman

No Phoenix Park, Galway or Dundalk this time - 1979 it is estimated that 2/3 of the population went to see John Paul with 250,000 in the Park alone.

Croke Park has been chosen for the proposed papal visit in 2012  where it will be invitation only it seems.

Changed times.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: orangeman on June 12, 2011, 02:53:37 PM
No Phoenix Park, Galway or Dundalk this time - 1979 it is estimated that 2/3 of the population went to see John Paul with 250,000 in the Park alone.

Croke Park has been chosen for the proposed papal visit in 2012  where it will be invitation only it seems.

Changed times.

What is the purpose of this visit? Presumably it will cost as much as when Obama or queen Elizabeth came. We are bankrupt so what is the payback for this? Maybe the pope is coming to lift the spirits of the people, its hardly to openly apologise for the rape of Irish children and the protection of rapists within the church!

The Iceman

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 12, 2011, 11:22:22 PM
Quote from: orangeman on June 12, 2011, 02:53:37 PM

Changed times.
Lets see what he has to say first.

What is the purpose of this visit? Presumably it will cost as much as when Obama or queen Elizabeth came. We are bankrupt so what is the payback for this? Maybe the pope is coming to lift the spirits of the people, its hardly to openly apologise for the rape of Irish children and the protection of rapists within the church!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Hardy

He just wants to meet Joe Sheridan.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Hardy on June 13, 2011, 12:17:28 AM

I'm sure Joe will be freely available from next Sunday week ;)

Ulick

What is the purpose of this visit? Presumably it will cost as much as when Obama or queen Elizabeth came. We are bankrupt so what is the payback for this?

If he does come it'll be for the Eucharistic Congress (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucharistic_Congress) and if you're bothered about the cost you'll be relieved to know that the number international visitors the Congress will attract should more than offset an costs to the state.

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on June 13, 2011, 12:17:28 AM

Larry told him to come.
MWWSI 2017

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Ulick on June 13, 2011, 01:55:15 PM
What is the purpose of this visit? Presumably it will cost as much as when Obama or queen Elizabeth came. We are bankrupt so what is the payback for this?

If he does come it'll be for the Eucharistic Congress (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucharistic_Congress) and if you're bothered about the cost you'll be relieved to know that the number international visitors the Congress will attract should more than offset an costs to the state.

I'm bothered about the cost and I an bothered that the head of an organisation and a statelet that showed no respect for the rule of law in this republic and sought to obstruct it at every turn. I'd rather have queen Elizabeth.

Ulick

Dublin-Monaghan is the only thing that springs to mind.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Ulick on June 13, 2011, 10:59:33 PM

The sad thing is I believe you. Some people don't deserve a republic.

Ulick

Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 13, 2011, 11:16:23 PM
Quote from: Ulick on June 13, 2011, 10:59:33 PM

The sad thing is I believe you. Some people don't deserve a republic.

Sorry, did I miss the Pope bombing us?