Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

The Iceman

Quote from: orangeman on April 06, 2010, 02:54:33 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on April 06, 2010, 02:28:28 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 04, 2010, 10:40:24 PM
Quote from: orangeman on April 04, 2010, 10:37:28 PM
Meanwhile, the Bishop of Down and Connor has called on Catholics to show support for the church by attending Mass.

Is this code for something ?.
I've lost patience with these idiots, I think we should all stop talking about it, the country as a whole I mean, and leave them, the paedos, their apologists and the brainwashed to it.

the country as a whole doesn't share your opinion Pints. And I'm certainly not brainwashed.  I don't agree with a lot of things but I still have faith in God.

I can imagine you have been leaving us to it for a while.  Good luck to you.
I'm sure you'll come running back when you need confirmation for a child, or a wedding or a funeral - always the way......
[/b][/size]

What's that supposed to mean ?.

Children get confirmed - that's one of the sacraments - Cardinal Brady was asked not officiate in one parish recently by the way. There must be something badly wrong with all those parents who made that request.

People get married - another sacrament. They could go to the registry office.

They end up getting buried and have a funeral mass - they could go to a council plot.

What about it ? Are you advocating cathoilcs who aren't happy with the way things are in the church right now, should not participate. Or would you rather they just shut up and put up ?.

I think we use the term Catholics a bit loosely.  I think the people who never go to Mass and only show up once a year for Christmas or Easter or when they need a sacrament should not participate then if Brady and this whole mess has affected them so much.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Hardy

Funny, I thought one of the central tenets of Catholicism was "judge not and ye shall not be judged". I would respectfully suggest that your pronouncements upon who does and doesn't qualify to participate in church ceremonies is somewhat at odds with this ideal. It's a little reminiscent of the Pharisee and the Publican - "I thank thee, Lord, that I am not as the rest of men".

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Hardy on April 06, 2010, 03:21:35 PM
Funny, I thought one of the central tenets of Catholicism was "judge not and ye shall not be judged". I would respectfully suggest that your pronouncements upon who does and doesn't qualify to participate in church ceremonies is somewhat at odds with this ideal. It's a little reminiscent of the Pharisee and the Publican - "I thank thee, Lord, that I am not as the rest of men".
except that iceman isnt a pharisee (or priest - though I could be wrong)...
there is an element of truth in what he says
if people dont want anything to do with the catholic church etc they are not forced into attending mass, getting married in catholic churches, funeral masses etc etc.. no one is forcing them
its not a case of judgement, but if folk dont like it - then get off the pot and leave the church and its ceremonies etc to those that do

Hedley Lamarr

"I think we use the term Catholics a bit loosely.  I think the people who never go to Mass and only show up once a year for Christmas or Easter or when they need a sacrament should not participate then if Brady and this whole mess has affected them so much."

I was baptised a Catholic....I had no choice
Confession......no choice
First Communion....no choice
Confirmation.....no choice

Wedding in a Catholic church..... my choice
Kids baptised......our choice

I believe in God and try to behave in a Christian way, but I do not attend mass or partake of any of the sacraments.

I choose to not participate in the Catholic church, life is all about choice.

The Catholic establishment chose to deny the truth for a long time and are now doing the "Pontius Pilate".

At the end of the day we will all have to answer for our actions.

PS Iceman are you Opus Dei by any chance? 

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

Declan

QuoteI believe in God and try to behave in a Christian way, but I do not attend mass or partake of any of the sacraments.

I choose to not participate in the Catholic church, life is all about choice

Was there a particular reason why you decided to have the kids baptised (I'm assuming in a Catholic ceremony)??

theskull1

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 06, 2010, 03:27:39 PM
if people dont want anything to do with the catholic church etc they are not forced into attending mass, getting married in catholic churches, funeral masses etc etc.. no one is forcing them
its not a case of judgement, but if folk dont like it - then get off the pot and leave the church and its ceremonies etc to those that do

Can I assume youse would be happy to see Catholic indocrination in schools taken out of the curriculum? No one is forcing it on anybody afterall [sarcasm]
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

lynchbhoy

Quote from: theskull1 on April 06, 2010, 03:48:44 PM

Can I assume youse would be happy to see Catholic indocrination in schools taken out of the curriculum? No one is forcing it on anybody afterall [sarcasm]
presumably youd find another revenue stream to pay for these schools then ?

another alternative is to not send your kids to these catholic schools !

in Dublin in our area at least, parents who dont whinge elect to send their kids to 'educate together' schools

obv the options are not all over the country, but again there are options for boarding schools etc should you elect for that...
so no one is 'forcing ' anyone !!

Hedley Lamarr

Quote from: Declan on April 06, 2010, 03:44:44 PM
QuoteI believe in God and try to behave in a Christian way, but I do not attend mass or partake of any of the sacraments.

I choose to not participate in the Catholic church, life is all about choice

Was there a particular reason why you decided to have the kids baptised (I'm assuming in a Catholic ceremony)??

I was a practising Catholic at the time.
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed:

The Iceman

thanks lynchboy for taking it the way it was intended

And no am I definitely not a priest - married with two fantastic kids
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

lynchbhoy

Quote from: The Iceman on April 06, 2010, 03:59:01 PM
the fact that you like UF C and MMA would indicate you were more like a christian brother and not a priest
having two kids doesnt rule that out either !

theskull1

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 06, 2010, 03:54:51 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on April 06, 2010, 03:48:44 PM

presumably youd find another revenue stream to pay for these schools then ?

another alternative is to not send your kids to these catholic schools !

in Dublin in our area at least, parents who dont whinge elect to send their kids to 'educate together' schools

obv the options are not all over the country, but again there are options for boarding schools etc should you elect for that...
so no one is 'forcing ' anyone !!

Oh so it's that type of "no one is "forcing" anyone"  :D
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

The Iceman

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 06, 2010, 04:06:58 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on April 06, 2010, 03:59:01 PM
the fact that you like UF C and MMA would indicate you were more like a christian brother and not a priest
having two kids doesnt rule that out either !

Ha the Christian Brothers!
I'm a holy warrior!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: theskull1 on April 06, 2010, 04:32:31 PM
Oh so it's that type of "no one is "forcing" anyone"  :D
I presume that this '[sarcasm]' means that you dont/cant have a problem with this ?

its the same the world over , you do what you can do or what suits you or more so - 'what you can afford' !!

ie no one is forcing you to move to a bigger 4 bed house from your 3 bed house, apart from the small fact that you dont have any money and cant afford it !
lazy aspirational vs reality !

Rufus T Firefly

And the flip side of that coin Hardy? Seems to be a hell of a lot more here than The Iceman making judgements - many of them ill informed.

That's why I am so convinced that Brendan O'Neill's line (below) is so apt in when considering the vitriol poured out both here and elsewhere against Cardinal Sean Brady;

.........today's reaction to those allegations of sexual abuse is also deeply problematic. For it is a reaction informed more by prejudice and illiberalism than by anything resembling a principled secularism....

Hardy

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 06, 2010, 04:59:36 PM

And the flip side of that coin Hardy? Seems to be a hell of a lot more here than The Iceman making judgements - many of them ill informed.

That's why I am so convinced that Brendan O'Neill's line (below) is so apt in when considering the vitriol poured out both here and elsewhere against Cardinal Sean Brady;

.........today's reaction to those allegations of sexual abuse is also deeply problematic. For it is a reaction informed more by prejudice and illiberalism than by anything resembling a principled secularism....

The difference is that I, for my part, am not proclaiming a doctrine that prescribes the opposite.

As for O'Neill's statement, I haven't seen the context of it but he's surely not suggesting that we need to be more "liberal" in our reactions to clerics who abuse children? What could that mean?