Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

muppet

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dublin-archbishop-a-source-of-division-444804.html

Dublin Archbishop 'a source of division'
04/02/2010 - 11:27:55
A meeting of Dublin priests last month heard the Archbishop of Dublin described as a source of division.

The meeting of up to 25 priests was held in January to discuss the fallout from the Murphy Report into abuse in the Dublin Archdiocese.

According to the Irish Catholic newspaper, which has seen minutes of the meeting, Archbishop Diarmuid Martin was criticised heavily for his handling of the aftermath of the report's publication.

He has also been accused of having a dictatorial manner and a lack of compassion for the auxiliary bishops, the report said.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dublin-archbishop-a-source-of-division-444804.html#ixzz0eaQtsiDs

What about compassion for the victims of the Auxiliary Bishops inaction?

I really cannot believe how poorly the Church has behaved and continues to behave on this matter.
MWWSI 2017

stew

Quote from: muppet on February 04, 2010, 04:50:48 PM
http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dublin-archbishop-a-source-of-division-444804.html

Dublin Archbishop 'a source of division'
04/02/2010 - 11:27:55
A meeting of Dublin priests last month heard the Archbishop of Dublin described as a source of division.

The meeting of up to 25 priests was held in January to discuss the fallout from the Murphy Report into abuse in the Dublin Archdiocese.

According to the Irish Catholic newspaper, which has seen minutes of the meeting, Archbishop Diarmuid Martin was criticised heavily for his handling of the aftermath of the report's publication.

He has also been accused of having a dictatorial manner and a lack of compassion for the auxiliary bishops, the report said.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/dublin-archbishop-a-source-of-division-444804.html#ixzz0eaQtsiDs

What about compassion for the victims of the Auxiliary Bishops inaction?

I really cannot believe how poorly the Church has behaved and continues to behave on this matter.

This is the one and probably the only time we will agree on anything, this is an absolute disgrace.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

longrunsthefox

Usual mealy mouthed tokenism from the Catholic Church....

Survivors of clerical abuse have said that they are disappointed with the outcome of the meeting between the Irish Bishops and Pope Benedict XVI.

At the end of an unprecedented two-day Vatican summit with Irish Bishops, the Pontiff branded the sexual abuse of children and young people a "heinous crime and a grave sin."

The 24 senior clergy were summonsed over the past mishandling of child abuse scandals that rocked the Catholic church in Ireland.
Article Continues

Victims group 'One in Four' said they are also disappointed that the Pope has offered no explanation for the failure of the Vatican to cooperate with the Murphy Commission

"It is deeply insulting to survivors to suggest that they were abused due to failures of faith, rather than because sex offending priests were moved from parish to parish, and those in authority looked away while further children were sexually abused," said Executive Director Maeve Lewis.

The group said the Vatican has accepted no responsibility for its role in facilitating the sexual abuse of children, referring only to the Irish church, and only vague declarations of intent for the future are included.

muppet

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 16, 2010, 05:08:30 PM
Usual mealy mouthed tokenism from the Catholic Church....

Survivors of clerical abuse have said that they are disappointed with the outcome of the meeting between the Irish Bishops and Pope Benedict XVI.

At the end of an unprecedented two-day Vatican summit with Irish Bishops, the Pontiff branded the sexual abuse of children and young people a "heinous crime and a grave sin."

The 24 senior clergy were summonsed over the past mishandling of child abuse scandals that rocked the Catholic church in Ireland.
Article Continues

Victims group 'One in Four' said they are also disappointed that the Pope has offered no explanation for the failure of the Vatican to cooperate with the Murphy Commission

"It is deeply insulting to survivors to suggest that they were abused due to failures of faith, rather than because sex offending priests were moved from parish to parish, and those in authority looked away while further children were sexually abused," said Executive Director Maeve Lewis.

The group said the Vatican has accepted no responsibility for its role in facilitating the sexual abuse of children, referring only to the Irish church, and only vague declarations of intent for the future are included.

Like I said before we need to break off diplomatic relations with the Vatican as we would with any other state who, as policy, protected criminals and hid them from the authorities while inadvertently facilitating their crimes. 
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

Surely you can't be shocked at this statement by the Vatican and their abject failure to deal appropriately with the Murphy investigation ??

Surely such arrogance is just what is to be expected from the leadership ? Sure aren't be well used to it by now ??

muppet

Quote from: orangeman on February 16, 2010, 07:10:38 PM
Surely you can't be shocked at this statement by the Vatican and their abject failure to deal appropriately with the Murphy investigation ??

Surely such arrogance is just what is to be expected from the leadership ? Sure aren't be well used to it by now ??

I'm not shocked at all.
MWWSI 2017

mylestheslasher

Time for the Irish government to grow some balls and do exactly what muppet said above + withdraw any state grants and funding to any church building projects. Time for a 100% break of church and state.

orangeman

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 16, 2010, 07:18:42 PM
Time for the Irish government to grow some balls and do exactly what muppet said above + withdraw any state grants and funding to any church building projects. Time for a 100% break of church and state.

+1

Pangurban

While i could easily support a case for breaking off diplomatic relations with the Vatican, the further suggestion that the State should withdraw aid to Church building programmes is just puerile nonsense

tyssam5

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 16, 2010, 07:18:42 PM

Is gov money supplied to church for building projects? Did not know that.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Pangurban on February 16, 2010, 07:54:32 PM
While i could easily support a case for breaking off diplomatic relations with the Vatican, the further suggestion that the State should withdraw aid to Church building programmes is just puerile nonsense

Care to explain why it is purile nonsense, what sort of a post is it to say that and give no explanation - are you a bishop? The tax payer is picking up the churches bills due to the abuse they caused and more importantly covered up. You think the tax payer should also give them money so they can build churches too? I say if people want to fund their local church fine, but the taxpayer in general should not.

orangeman

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 16, 2010, 08:22:34 PM
Quote from: Pangurban on February 16, 2010, 07:54:32 PM

Care to explain why it is purile nonsense, what sort of a post is it to say that and give no explanation - are you a bishop? The tax payer is picking up the churches bills due to the abuse they caused and more importantly covered up. You think the tax payer should also give them money so they can build churches too? I say if people want to fund their local church fine, but the taxpayer in general should not.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

Hurler on the Bitch

The bottom line is that old Ratzinger has had the balls to confront this. Too many bishops guilty of staring at their shoes allowing this to happen. What the Pope has done is stuck the proverbial rocket up the Catholic Church in Ireland - you do recall that in his former life Ratzinger was the 'enforcer' behind the scenes and he has taken the Bishops over to Rome and read the Riot Act. Fair play to him as he - like his predecessors - could have done feck all. As for Brady .. trying to say this is a world-wide problem: that's a kop-out. The problem stated is that his Church stood and whistled as countless kids were brutally abused in Ireland. I have not passed a church door in five years and will not until a few big-wigs repent.

I see also that there is another priest on the front of the Irish News this morning - rape, buggery etc. And then your man Buckley with his Little Chef! Is there no end to the embarrassment?

cicfada

There should be a commmission and resultant report  set up in every  diocese in the country to see how many perverts and nonces there are/have been in the Church!!!  No apology from the pope either, but then again he can never be wrong  in matters of the church  and every Catholic in the world has to accept his word!! Some organisation all right!!!!!

muppet

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on February 16, 2010, 09:45:04 PM
The bottom line is that old Ratzinger has had the balls to confront this. Too many bishops guilty of staring at their shoes allowing this to happen. What the Pope has done is stuck the proverbial rocket up the Catholic Church in Ireland - you do recall that in his former life Ratzinger was the 'enforcer' behind the scenes and he has taken the Bishops over to Rome and read the Riot Act. Fair play to him as he - like his predecessors - could have done feck all. As for Brady .. trying to say this is a world-wide problem: that's a kop-out. The problem stated is that his Church stood and whistled as countless kids were brutally abused in Ireland. I have not passed a church door in five years and will not until a few big-wigs repent.

I see also that there is another priest on the front of the Irish News this morning - rape, buggery etc. And then your man Buckley with his Little Chef! Is there no end to the embarrassment?

My read of Ratzinger is the complete opposite of yours.
MWWSI 2017