Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

orangeman

When you need a calming influence and some words of wisdom, you can always trust Bishop Hegarty !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Derry bishop 'unsure' if resignations help 

Bishop Hegarty said resignations may not help the healing process
The Bishop of Derry, Dr Seamus Hegarty, has said he is unsure whether it would be helpful for more bishops to resign over the Murphy Report.

It is the first time the bishop has spoken since the report into clerical sex abuse in the Dublin archdiocese was published a month ago.

Two bishops, James Moriarty and Donal Murray, have already resigned.

Bishop Hegarty said he was "not sure" if more resignations would "contribute in any great way towards healing".

"In recent times I have been talking to victims who had been involved in court proceedings.

"They would say their experience in court was much more traumatic for them that the original sexual abuse," he said.

However, Marie Collins, who was abused as a child by a priest, has criticised the Bishop of Derry.

She said she "was appalled that any bishop could hold this point of view and could express it at this time". Ms Collins said "the idea that maybe you shouldn't report cases, it's not going to do the victim any good... that sort of justification just has no place at the present time".

Bishop Hegarty also said he would mention the resignations in his Christmas message.

In November he called on anyone who had been abused by a member of the clergy to go to the civil authorities.

The Murphy Report condemned the Catholic church for covering up decades of abuse of children.

The report also criticised the civil authorities for failing to investigate many of the crimes.

The Catholic church in Ireland has apologised.

mylestheslasher

"In recent times I have been talking to victims who had been involved in court proceedings.

"They would say their experience in court was much more traumatic for them that the original sexual abuse," he said.

I'm sure he has been talking to tonnes of victims that hold this opinion ::)

longrunsthefox

Hegarty is a low life and has been that way all along...
a few years ago...

Sex abuse levy 'to be abolished' 
Dr Hegarty admitted imposing a levy on all parishes 
Levies imposed on parishes to pay into a fund for victims of clerical sex abuse are to be abolished, the Catholic diocese of Derry has announced.
Bishop Seamus Hegarty and his diocesan priests have also decided to return all money already paid by parishioners.
It follows an emergency meeting in Derry to which the bishop was not invited.
He had faced criticism because he paid into the Stewardship Trust Fund without the knowledge of many parishioners.

Dr Hegarty told BBC Northern Ireland's Spotlight programme he was raising the money through a 3% levy imposed on all parishes.
Following the programme, Dr Hegarty issued a statement expressing "sincere regret at the disquiet" caused by his actions.

Priests in the diocese were invited to a meeting at the Iona Retreat Centre at Termonbacca in the city to discuss the controversy.
They were asked to attend by priests in charge of the four deaneries in the diocese.
Donations were being paid into a trust for victims of child sex abuse
In a statement following the meeting, Monsignor Joseph Donnelly said: "The bishop and priests of Derry diocese have decided to abolish the 3% levy on parishes for the Stewardship Fund and return to the parishes all monies that have already been paid."
He said the priests had been clear in the recommendations they made to the bishop.
"It came without due notice to the people or due consultation."
The bishop of Clogher Dr Joseph Duffy said 105,600 euros had been paid from the diocese into the Stewardship Trust.

orangeman

Seems that Bishop Hegarty is still out of touch :

Two more Catholic bishops resign 

Bishop Eamonn Walsh issued a statement read out at midnight Mass
Two more Irish Catholic bishops have resigned in response to a report which criticised how they handled allegations of abuse by clergy.

Eamonn Walsh and Raymond Field issued a joint statement which was read out at midnight Mass.

The pair, who were both auxiliary bishops of Dublin, said they hoped their resignations would help bring peace to the victims of sexual abuse.

Four out of five bishops criticised in the Murphy report have now resigned.

Bishop of Limerick Donal Murray resigned earlier this month after the report branded as "inexcusable" his failure to deal effectively with a priest suspected of being a paedophile.

On Wednesday it was revealed that James Moriarty, the Bishop of Kildare, has offered his resignation to Pope Benedict. It is expected to be formally accepted in mid-January.

Martin Drennan, the Bishop of Galway, is now the only one of the five bishops criticised in the Murphy report to remain in office.

Bud Wiser

Bishop Walsh said in a statement in a local paper yesterday that he was found "Guilty by Association" and was proactive in preventing the abuse of children.  This morning I struggled to go to mass and the priest said we should question ourselves about having the audacity to judge others.  Needles to say, there was a little murmer of protest from one in the congregation!

I have sent this reply to the paper that printed the article. Forgive the long time to get through it but at least I feel better if I get it off my chest.

Dear Editor,

I refer to your recent article with regard to Bishop Eamonn Walsh in which it was implied by both your correspondent Mary Dennehy and Fr. Ben Moran  and by Eamonn Walsh himself that the Bishop was the victim of "Guilt By Association" and that both the Murphy Report and the Ferns Report concluded that the bishop acted proactively for the protection and safety of children.

We are now being told that people like myself are making assumptions without even reading the Murphy Report and at mass that I attended on Christmas day I was told from the altar that some of us had to question our own 'audacity' to judge others. I have read the Murphy Report, not once but a few times and the reason I read it a few times was because I could not believe what I was reading.

There is one very important finding in the Murphy Report and that is the difference between Canon Law and our State Law.  Until we all understand these differences we will readily accept seeing our Minister for Justice on Sky News complaining about the injustice of a hand ball by Thierry Henry instead of him seeking the imposition of jail sentences for those named in the report that was on his desk at the exact same time that he was so concerned about a game of soccer.

The Murphy Report stated that " The Archdiocese of Dublin and other Church authorities have repeatedly claimed to have been, prior to the late 1990s, on a learning curve in relation to the matter of child sexual abuse. Having completed its investigation, the Commission does not accept the truth of such claims and assertions".   Being proactive under canon law is far removed from being proactive under state law.

The Commison also found  (1.15) that the Dublin Archdioces pre-occupations in dealing with cases of child sexual abuse, at least until the mid 1990s, were the maintenance of secrecy, the avoidance of scandal, the protection of the reputation of the Church, and the preservation of its assets. All other considerations, including the welfare of children and justice for victims, were subordinated to these priorities. The Archdiocese did not implement its own canon law rules and did its best to avoid any application of the law of the State.

In Canon Law the Statute of Limitations is five years and add to that the fact that if an abuser was determined to be a paeodphile it was accepted that he had an addiction and was moved to curative facilities with suitable accomodation and financial support instead of invoking our state laws to protect children from the savagery and depravity that was visited on their innocent lives.  Up to now the odds have been stacked against these children most of whom are now adults so please don't stack them any higher by giving incomplete and onesided overviews of any member of the clergy, whether they are 'Guilty by Association' or not.

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

muppet

Quote from: Bud Wiser on December 25, 2009, 06:57:21 PM
Bishop Walsh said in a statement in a local paper yesterday that he was found "Guilty by Association" and was proactive in preventing the abuse of children.  This morning I struggled to go to mass and the priest said we should question ourselves about having the audacity to judge others.  Needles to say, there was a little murmer of protest from one in the congregation!

I have sent this reply to the paper that printed the article. Forgive the long time to get through it but at least I feel better if I get it off my chest.

Dear Editor,

I refer to your recent article with regard to Bishop Eamonn Walsh in which it was implied by both your correspondent Mary Dennehy and Fr. Ben Moran  and by Eamonn Walsh himself that the Bishop was the victim of "Guilt By Association" and that both the Murphy Report and the Ferns Report concluded that the bishop acted proactively for the protection and safety of children.

We are now being told that people like myself are making assumptions without even reading the Murphy Report and at mass that I attended on Christmas day I was told from the altar that some of us had to question our own 'audacity' to judge others. I have read the Murphy Report, not once but a few times and the reason I read it a few times was because I could not believe what I was reading.

There is one very important finding in the Murphy Report and that is the difference between Canon Law and our State Law.  Until we all understand these differences we will readily accept seeing our Minister for Justice on Sky News complaining about the injustice of a hand ball by Thierry Henry instead of him seeking the imposition of jail sentences for those named in the report that was on his desk at the exact same time that he was so concerned about a game of soccer.

The Murphy Report stated that " The Archdiocese of Dublin and other Church authorities have repeatedly claimed to have been, prior to the late 1990s, on a learning curve in relation to the matter of child sexual abuse. Having completed its investigation, the Commission does not accept the truth of such claims and assertions".   Being proactive under canon law is far removed from being proactive under state law.

The Commison also found  (1.15) that the Dublin Archdioces pre-occupations in dealing with cases of child sexual abuse, at least until the mid 1990s, were the maintenance of secrecy, the avoidance of scandal, the protection of the reputation of the Church, and the preservation of its assets. All other considerations, including the welfare of children and justice for victims, were subordinated to these priorities. The Archdiocese did not implement its own canon law rules and did its best to avoid any application of the law of the State.

In Canon Law the Statute of Limitations is five years and add to that the fact that if an abuser was determined to be a paeodphile it was accepted that he had an addiction and was moved to curative facilities with suitable accomodation and financial support instead of invoking our state laws to protect children from the savagery and depravity that was visited on their innocent lives.  Up to now the odds have been stacked against these children most of whom are now adults so please don't stack them any higher by giving incomplete and onesided overviews of any member of the clergy, whether they are 'Guilty by Association' or not.

Excellent letter.
MWWSI 2017

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Bud Wiser on December 25, 2009, 06:57:21 PM

Dear Editor,

Well written Bud.

What we see here is a bishop trying to portray himself as the victim. Totally pathetic when you consider who the real victims were - raped and abused kids. Of course it was an enquiry that suggested Mr Walsh had a case to answer, not some bunch of anti catholic begrudgers, but enough of these pesky facts. Go for it Mr Walsh, keep whinging, i'm sure everyone feels real sorry for you ::)

Bud Wiser

Thanks.

Had a good ould night last night, sore head this morning and here I am lying in bed when my little seven year old grandson arrives and climbs in beside me with his Nintendo DS.  I am lying there thinking, thank God he is in the full of his health, a lovely little fella and as I contemplated his innocence I am a little embarresed but not ashamed to say that my eyes filled up with a good few tears when I think of what them bastards did to those children. 
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Main Street

I am not a church member, so how church members are fed spin is just a curiosity for me.

As individuals, the bishops are entitled to their exit statements. It does not surprise me that they are still in almost total denial about the seriousness of their own past actions and are now assuming martyrdom. I'd guess after reading their statements that they have had to be kicked out and they went screaming.

If I were one the victims, probably I would be that bit more satisfied that they have been virtually dismissed. It means that officially the bishops have been taken somewhat to task and another official recognition/ acknowledgement/admission of the scale of the abuse inflicted has been registered.

orangeman

I read last week that one of the items on the agenda for churxh officials in Ireland from now on will the be the employment of additional media / PR experts to try and influence public opinion more positively.

Bud - you could get a job !!!!

orangeman

The Galway man refuses to walk the plank !

Bishop of Galway 'will not resign' after Murphy report 

A fifth bishop named in the Murphy report will not resign, a spokesman for his diocese has said.

There had been fresh calls for the Bishop of Galway to resign following a report which found that Catholic leaders concealed child abuse.

Bishop Martin Drennan is now the only serving bishop named in the Murphy report who is still in his post.

Bishops Eamonn Walsh and Raymond Field stepped down on Christmas Eve while two others resigned earlier this month.

Fr Sean McHugh said Bishop Drennan felt he had done nothing wrong, and that his situation was different to that of other bishops named in the Murphy report into clerical abuse in the Dublin Archdiocese.

He claimed Dr Drennan had not been called to give evidence to the Murphy Commission, and had not been furnished with the part of the report which mentioned him by name.

longrunsthefox

No doubt Drennan will 'resign' too and issue a mealy mouthed statement about doing it in the best interests of the victims and church and healing and blady f**ing blah... were really like the others he will be left with no choice.

Tony Baloney

Why does he have a choice? Can one of the Pope's people not just tell him to pack his bags?

Square Ball

as always Bud a well composed piece. can you post the reply if you get one?

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

longrunsthefox

Remember this shower  :o  The Robinsons with a bit of help from Gerry Adams sure took the spotlight off the Bishop of Galway. Resign ye bollox ya!!