Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 30, 2009, 09:44:49 PM
Quote from: Main Street on November 30, 2009, 09:17:23 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 30, 2009, 07:51:13 PM
And what exactly is that meant to mean? I have been anti catholic (if that is the label you want for me) for a long time when I bothered to do some research on their corrupt influence on this country. Unfortunately, everything I thought of them has proven to be true. You and others bandying around terms like "anti catholic" just allows these people of the hook as you are indirectly implying that "anti catholics" are some sort of extreme hate group - which I am not. I am anti anything that manipulates and suppresses the people of this country
You cross the line to from "anti anything that manipulates and suppresses the people of this country" to fanaticism when you mock the people that you deem to be suppressed and manipulated.

Where do I mock the irish people? I mock those who came on here after the industrial school reports defending the church and now are nowhere to be seen.
As a father just after putting the 3 to bed I don't know how anyone can defend an organisation that protected and assisted in the evasion of rapists and paedophiles is beyond comprehension. To many the evil deeds are just words but behind the words are stomach churning stories of these upstanding pillars of the community repeatedly buggering both boys and girls, forcing them to perform oral sex etc etc.

You cannot defend the indefensible and these were not isolated instances, they were known about and aided and abetted from the parish right to Rome. Rotten to the core.

muppet

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 30, 2009, 09:55:51 PM
And what exactly is that meant to mean? I have been anti catholic (if that is the label you want for me) for a long time when I bothered to do some research on their corrupt influence on this country. Unfortunately, everything I thought of them has proven to be true. You and others bandying around terms like "anti catholic" just allows these people of the hook as you are indirectly implying that "anti catholics" are some sort of extreme hate group - which I am not. I am anti anything that manipulates and suppresses the people of this country
You cross the line to from "anti anything that manipulates and suppresses the people of this country" to fanaticism when you mock the people that you deem to be suppressed and manipulated.

Where do I mock the irish people? I mock those who came on here after the industrial school reports defending the church and now are nowhere to be seen.
As a father just after putting the 3 to bed I don't know how anyone can defend an organisation that protected and assisted in the evasion of rapists and paedophiles is beyond comprehension. To many the evil deeds are just words but behind the words are stomach churning stories of these upstanding pillars of the community repeatedly buggering both boys and girls, forcing them to perform oral sex etc etc.

You cannot defend the indefensible and these were not isolated instances, they were known about and aided and abetted from the parish right to Rome. Rotten to the core.

I have the greatest respect for all of the Priests I know personally, none who have been implicated in this, but it is hard to disagree with the above.
MWWSI 2017

theskull1

Don't forget that this is only one diocese out of 26 on this island I believe, and thats before we go global. Is there enough energy from within the church going public to demand that every carpet is lifted and every protector of paedophiles is hunted from the church?

I think truth will be too hard to take for most they will rather take the blue pill making them just as morally corrupt as the protectors. Surely you have to stand up for what is right regardless of the consequences that might come about.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

longrunsthefox

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 30, 2009, 07:00:10 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 30, 2009, 05:53:20 PM
NEWS
"Pressure has mounted on Bishop of Limerick Donal Murray to resign after an inquiry into the handling of child abuse cases in the Catholic Dublin Archdiocese branded his failure to investigate a paedophile priest inexcusable"
.... seems he got a standing ovation in Limerick yesterday...

their folk choir is very good tho...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba5GW9DjHxE
where did you get that info? I hope you're taking the piss!

I think I heard it on the Gerry Ryan show this morning- I didn't make it up.

Main Street

When I wrote that you mock the people who you deem to be suppressed and manipulated, I am of course referring to those people who you deem to be suppressed and manipulated.
Did you not refer to the "manipulated" members of a congregation in Limerick as imbeciles and stupid fxcks.

You do sound like an outraged, self righteous, foaming at the mouth, Johnny come lately to the abuse scene.

Frankly, I have been very vocal against child abuse in many of its forms since the mid 70's. I have witnessed this stuff close at hand and even managed to get expelled a few times from school then while authorities resisted/struggled to move on a teacher. I have long said that child abuse is the most serious issue in Ireland's history, if only people knew what went on and the damage. I have no problem with people's faith or their catholicism.

I would totally support that every PP, Bishop, Cardinal, headmaster, suspicious police investigation referred to in the reports, be brought in front of a commission/special court with legal powers and cross examined to the point of exhaustion over their complicity, until the full admission be extracted. This would certainly help the process of that one bishop called 'examine ones conscience- to see if you're fit for duty'.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Main Street on November 30, 2009, 11:11:12 PM

When I wrote that you mock the people who you deem to be suppressed and manipulated, I am of course referring to those people who you deem to be suppressed and manipulated.
Did you not refer to the "manipulated" members of a congregation in Limerick as imbeciles and stupid fxcks.

You do sound like an outraged, self righteous, foaming at the mouth, Johnny come lately to the abuse scene.

Frankly, I have been very vocal against child abuse in many of its forms since the mid 70's. I have witnessed this stuff close at hand and even managed to get expelled a few times from school then while authorities resisted/struggled to move on a teacher. I have long said that child abuse is the most serious issue in Ireland's history, if only people knew what went on and the damage. I have no problem with people's faith or their catholicism.

I would totally support that every PP, Bishop, Cardinal, headmaster, suspicious police investigation referred to in the reports, be brought in front of a commission/special court with legal powers and cross examined to the point of exhaustion over their complicity, until the full admission be extracted. This would certainly help the process of that one bishop called 'examine ones conscience- to see if you're fit for duty'.

Well thats me told.

A group of lay members and priests came out in favour a bishop in Limerick who the report said handled abuse badly and in one case I believe it said unbelievably badly. The mans name is dirt. This was a carefully planned statement timed to come out straight after the said bishop declared he would leave his fate with the priests and people in Limerick.

The vast majority of people in this country have already copped onto the catholic church, thats why numbers in churches are at all time lows and no one is joining the priesthood. I am mocking a hardline brainwashed minority.

I can assure you that I am not foaming at the mouth nor do I feel the need to tell you of my past to prove what a great guy I am. You don't know anything about me or what makes me tick. Your johnny come lately comment is childish. Are you implying that I only recently believed child abuse to be wrong? Perhaps in the 70's when I was 4 years old I should have been getting expelled from school? I can tell you one thing, if there was a child abuser teaching in my daughters school he would be removed one way or the other in 10 mins flat. That might make me a self righteous foaming mouth whatever but you know what - I don't care.

theskull1

Main street whilst agreeing on mts's main arguments, is more interested going out of his way to get offended. You're like like a drunk loyalist wearing a poppy

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: stew on November 29, 2009, 05:20:42 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on November 29, 2009, 02:01:43 AM
Jesus lads how many times can youse rehash this stuff!

What happened was disgraceful and everyone wants justice, but some on here are just using this as an excuse for their anti catholic/church tirades. Let the courts settle it. As for the compo, FFS have we all turned American!

money is the only thing that will make the cnuts realize how serious the issue is because they are still not taking it seriously.

Celebacy has fcuk all to do with these scumbags raping children, less than fcuk all and some of you on here are either deluded or stupid or both for thinking it is.

Stew as far as I can see, throwing money at something bad is modern societies way of making it go away/appease a group/national conscience.
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 29, 2009, 09:50:51 AM

What happened was disgraceful and everyone wants justice, but some on here are just using this as an excuse for their anti catholic/church tirades. Let the courts settle it. As for the compo, FFS have we all turned American!

Sorry for boring you with tales of abuse of children and cover ups from the vatican down. I know I should be over talking shite about Celtic or something more important. This has been out there most of the week and you have chosen to comment at 2-30am on Sunday morning after probably a skip of drink (haven't you made a bollix of yourself doing this before too). 2 lines dismissing the gravity of the thing. Maybe when you take your head out of your arse you might let us know about what this justice "everyone" wants is? Hardly anyone has mentioned compensation but only someone that thinks the corrupt catholic church is more important than the wrecked lives and lost innocence of children. People like you make me depressed about the future of this country such is the grip a bunch of clergy have on you. As I said before, you don't need the catholic church to follow the word of god or be a christian. I suggest you read the artcile posted above and ask yourself are you one of the people that the church controls.

Myles what has Celtic got to do with this?
When I post on here has fcuk all to do with you.
No never made a bollix of myself on here, I have stated my opinion on things which others have disagreed on (but sure you continue to "play the man").
FFS church funds/assets and compo have been mentioned all through this thread, maybe you should take your own biased head from your own hole!
As for Justice, that is something for the courts to decide on.
Finally - so because I have different views then you on the Church, I'm controlled - thanks for clearing that up for me.  ::)
Tbc....

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: J70 on November 29, 2009, 05:09:29 PM

GDA, if you have a problem with something specific someone says, then address it. Otherwise, who are you to try to dictate what can and cannot be discussed on this board?

Don't think I'd have a problem with financial compensation myself. Send the animals themselves to prison, but the church itself has to pay a penalty for their collusion. Hit them where it hurts and they'll be less likely to behave in that way in the future.

J70 I didn't dictate what can or can't be discussed on this board - was passing comment on the fact that this is pretty much the same stuff that has been rehashed from the last report, I also said that what has happened is a disgrace and justice needs to be done, but that's conveniently ignored.
Tbc....

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Another bad part of the Catholic Church selling playing fields to fund compensation is that it will be children who will be losing out because of the loss of sports facilities. I wonder how many of these pitches where payed for by past-pupils/students/parents/community donations and now the Catholic Church is selling this land to pay for THEIR sins.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

theskull1

So you'll sit in silence on this issue and exert no pressure on the church at a local level from the inside whilst you wait for the state and the courts to deliver justice like they've been doing for years  :-\

Do you not think that it is imperative that every church congregation DEMANDS detailed investigations be carried out in every diocese and that proper punishment should be given to everybody involved if the catholic church as an institution is to survive or is the burying the head in the sand approach the only way devout catholics can deal with this trauma?

orangeman

Some of the arguments about the group of lay people coming out in defence of the bishop in Limerick reminds me of a situation a few years ago where a known abuser was moved on by the bishop to another parish ( Derry ) - when he "left" the parish some of the people wouldn't accpet that yer man had acted inappropriately and went as far as lifting a collection for him and handed him a tidy sum when he was moved.

Some people, for whatever reason will never feel able to condemn even though the facts are irrefutable. That's their right - if that's the way they want to think, fair enough.

We're getting a bit of this on the board as well.

It takes all kinds.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: theskull1 on December 01, 2009, 10:46:14 AM
So you'll sit in silence on this issue and exert no pressure on the church at a local level from the inside whilst you wait for the state and the courts to deliver justice like they've been doing for years  :-\

Do you not think that it is imperative that every church congregation DEMANDS detailed investigations be carried out in every diocese and that proper punishment should be given to everybody involved if the catholic church as an institution is to survive or is the burying the head in the sand approach the only way devout catholics can deal with this trauma?

You suggesting going above the Justice system?

The church has been put in the spotlight over abuse physical/sexual and mental, they are putting in place safeguards to stop these atrocities occurring again.
Sadly we cannot change the past, but must look to the future to ensure this never happens again, and I feel that this is beginning to happen. Irish society will never be the same again, but imho the Catholic church still has an important role to play in Irish daily life.
Tbc....

theskull1

What I am saying it is obvious that the people need to exert influence on the systems of control to ensure that proper justice is delivered. If you sit in silience then both the church & the state will tip toe away from the controversy. Has history taught you nothing?

So regardless of how morally reprehensible the decisions of those bestowed with theological and moral authority were (both the abusers and those who covered up), lets learn from it, draw a line under it and then congregations can go back and recieving moral, religeous and ethical guidance from the very people who knowingly passed child abuser after child abuser onto other unsuspecting parishes

You have to be having a laugh