Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 29, 2009, 10:22:20 PM
You are a very genuine fellow and as are many who go to mass. That's freedom... to go or not to go... I don't believe not going to mass means  a person has lost faith or God, but then you didn't say it does. There are those in the church do think that. I have young children too and they say goodnight to God every night and a wee prayer. I don't feel inclined to take them to mass. They don't really want to go anyway  :P
That's up to you as a parent.  My son is almost 11 months old and has been at Mass every Sunday bar one since he was born, that's because of the way I want to raise him though.  I am not knocking you for not doing the same with yours.  That's your business, with respect
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

theskull1

The catholic church will ride out this storm just fine with people like you about ardmhachaabu. Some will see that as a good thing. IMO you're letting them away far too easy considering the spiritual investment you're making with them. Don't be surprised if they don't let you down again.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

longrunsthefox

NEWS
"Pressure has mounted on Bishop of Limerick Donal Murray to resign after an inquiry into the handling of child abuse cases in the Catholic Dublin Archdiocese branded his failure to investigate a paedophile priest inexcusable"
.... seems he got a standing ovation in Limerick yesterday...

their folk choir is very good tho...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba5GW9DjHxE

stew

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 29, 2009, 09:54:28 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on November 29, 2009, 09:45:40 PM
pints, I know a member of clergy who was responsible for awful acts of child abuse which only came out years after they had left the parish they were in.  This is going back years.  I know that my grandparents would never have believed it of him but it is true - the fact that it happened rocked my world at the time because I would have been in his parish church a fair bit for Mass.  When it eventually came out what he was at there were quite a few people who didn't believe it, up until the point where the priest concerned was in court with a heap of charges against him with all sorts of witnesses testifying against him.

How can I still be a Catholic after that? How can I look to priests for spiritual guidance?

I am still a Catholic because I believe in God, I believe in Our Lady, I believe in Jesus Christ.  I am not sure who other than a priest I could be expected to seek spiritual guidance from.

It certainly wouldn't be Gnevin, that much I can tell you

If you believe in God and Jesus then you are a Christian. If you want to go down to a church and listen to a priest then you are a catholic. Why do you need to seek guidance from priests or popes that know nothing more than any of us. Are you not able to form your own opinions of the bible? The church has shown that it is corrupt and self serving and not just with regards to child abuse but generally by way of keeping power.

I too am a father of a 2 year old. It makes me sick to think of what these f**ks have done to kids. I can't believe the power this corrupt nasty organisation has wielded in my country.  I hope now that people will awaken from the trance they are in and finally see the truth.

I say my prayers to Jesus and I also go to Mass, I have nothing but disdain for the cover up within the Churches ranks, the disgusting they moved this raping scum to different parishes etc when things got too hot, it is all despicable and deplorable. I do take exception however with the assertion that those of us that go to Church are incapable of thinking for ourselves, I have little to no faith in man, any man because he, like me, will do wrong, I do however reserve the right to go to a place of worship and pray to my God and that is what I choose to do, for a while after this all came out I could not bring myself to go to Mass and instead went to a Baptist Church, the problem there was that you had to sit there and endure the vitriol spewed forth by Catholic haters, we could not do that so we went back to Mass.

The Catholic Church is a Christian based Church, the issues arise with the politics of men within the Church, right up to the Pope himself, all who knew what was going on and did nothing should be held accountable, including both the last and Current Pope, and to think they are cannonizing JP2, it makes my blood boil.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

longrunsthefox

I can't understand why people feel they need to go to a church to pray as God is everywhere. Maybe it is the community thing... the rest is just stain glass windows and statues. Each to their own I suppose. Is a lot of idolatary goes on too... kissing crosses, praying to statues and tree stumps etc...

stew

Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 30, 2009, 06:02:27 PM
I can't understand why people feel they need to go to a church to pray as God is everywhere. Maybe it is the community thing... the rest is just stain glass windows and statues. Each to their own I suppose. Is a lot of idolatary goes on too... kissing crosses, praying to statues and tree stumps etc...

I dont kiss crosses, wear beads, pray to statues and have no feckin idea what you are on about with tree stumps.

We are supposed to commune with fellow believers, it's in the Bible you know. ;)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: stew on November 30, 2009, 05:58:17 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 29, 2009, 09:54:28 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on November 29, 2009, 09:45:40 PM
pints, I know a member of clergy who was responsible for awful acts of child abuse which only came out years after they had left the parish they were in.  This is going back years.  I know that my grandparents would never have believed it of him but it is true - the fact that it happened rocked my world at the time because I would have been in his parish church a fair bit for Mass.  When it eventually came out what he was at there were quite a few people who didn't believe it, up until the point where the priest concerned was in court with a heap of charges against him with all sorts of witnesses testifying against him.

How can I still be a Catholic after that? How can I look to priests for spiritual guidance?

I am still a Catholic because I believe in God, I believe in Our Lady, I believe in Jesus Christ.  I am not sure who other than a priest I could be expected to seek spiritual guidance from.

It certainly wouldn't be Gnevin, that much I can tell you

If you believe in God and Jesus then you are a Christian. If you want to go down to a church and listen to a priest then you are a catholic. Why do you need to seek guidance from priests or popes that know nothing more than any of us. Are you not able to form your own opinions of the bible? The church has shown that it is corrupt and self serving and not just with regards to child abuse but generally by way of keeping power.

I too am a father of a 2 year old. It makes me sick to think of what these f**ks have done to kids. I can't believe the power this corrupt nasty organisation has wielded in my country.  I hope now that people will awaken from the trance they are in and finally see the truth.

I say my prayers to Jesus and I also go to Mass, I have nothing but disdain for the cover up within the Churches ranks, the disgusting they moved this raping scum to different parishes etc when things got too hot, it is all despicable and deplorable. I do take exception however with the assertion that those of us that go to Church are incapable of thinking for ourselves, I have little to no faith in man, any man because he, like me, will do wrong, I do however reserve the right to go to a place of worship and pray to my God and that is what I choose to do, for a while after this all came out I could not bring myself to go to Mass and instead went to a Baptist Church, the problem there was that you had to sit there and endure the vitriol spewed forth by Catholic haters, we could not do that so we went back to Mass.

The Catholic Church is a Christian based Church, the issues arise with the politics of men within the Church, right up to the Pope himself, all who knew what was going on and did nothing should be held accountable, including both the last and Current Pope, and to think they are cannonizing JP2, it makes my blood boil.

Was talking to a friend of mine there at the weekend. He would have been a devout catholic. He now never goes to mass but he does go to the local church to pray on his own time when no priest is around. I think that is a sensible approach.

A bunch of gobshite priests and brainwashed lay people have come out in favour of the bishop of limerick staying on. Apparently he is a good man and has done so much. Apparently none of us can be without sin and you know it is a complicated issue to deal with. What a bunch of stupid fucks. It is not a complicated issue. I'll spell it out for these imbeciles. A person (priest) under your command abuses kids and this is reported to you. YOU CALL THE GARDAI - SIMPLE. THE BISHOP OF LIMERICK IS A PROTECTOR OF PAEDOPHILLES - SIMPLE. Is there anyone out there that really believes the catholic church is cured and is moving on??

pintsofguinness

Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 30, 2009, 05:53:20 PM
NEWS
"Pressure has mounted on Bishop of Limerick Donal Murray to resign after an inquiry into the handling of child abuse cases in the Catholic Dublin Archdiocese branded his failure to investigate a paedophile priest inexcusable"

where did you get that info? I hope you're taking the piss!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

mylestheslasher

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 30, 2009, 07:00:10 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 30, 2009, 05:53:20 PM
NEWS

where did you get that info? I hope you're taking the piss!

Don't know whether this is true but it wouldn't surprise me. Sure didn't some muppets in Donegal have a collection for paedophille priest Eugene Greene when he was released.

Pangurban

The anti-catholic brigade here need not waste their energy fulminating about Donal Murray, as effectively he is gone. He has been selected as the patsy who will take the fall, after a couple of weeks debate about his position which will deflect attention from more serious aspects of this scandal

muppet

Quote from: Pangurban on November 30, 2009, 07:24:07 PM
The anti-catholic brigade here need not waste their energy fulminating about Donal Murray, as effectively he is gone. He has been selected as the patsy who will take the fall, after a couple of weeks debate about his position which will deflect attention from more serious aspects of this scandal

The anti-Catholic brigade probably compromises only one or two posters.

The rest could be divided into Conservative/Fundamentalist Catholics & Liberal Catholics.

I can't wait for Tyrone's Own to arrive................
MWWSI 2017

mylestheslasher

And what exactly is that meant to mean? I have been anti catholic (if that is the label you want for me) for a long time when I bothered to do some research on their corrupt influence on this country. Unfortunately, everything I thought of them has proven to be true. You and others bandying around terms like "anti catholic" just allows these people of the hook as you are indirectly implying that "anti catholics" are some sort of extreme hate group - which I am not. I am anti anything that manipulates and suppresses the people of this country

mylestheslasher

Quote from: muppet on November 30, 2009, 07:28:40 PM

The anti-Catholic brigade probably compromises only one or two posters.

The rest could be divided into Conservative/Fundamentalist Catholics & Liberal Catholics.

I can't wait for Tyrone's Own to arrive................

Oh there are plenty I am waiting to hear from but they are all too yellow to come on here now. They are probably busy trying to come with an argument to the defend their crazy viewpoints as we speak.

Main Street

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 30, 2009, 07:51:13 PM
And what exactly is that meant to mean? I have been anti catholic (if that is the label you want for me) for a long time when I bothered to do some research on their corrupt influence on this country. Unfortunately, everything I thought of them has proven to be true. You and others bandying around terms like "anti catholic" just allows these people of the hook as you are indirectly implying that "anti catholics" are some sort of extreme hate group - which I am not. I am anti anything that manipulates and suppresses the people of this country
You cross the line to from "anti anything that manipulates and suppresses the people of this country" to fanaticism when you mock the people that you deem to be suppressed and manipulated.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Main Street on November 30, 2009, 09:17:23 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 30, 2009, 07:51:13 PM
You cross the line to from "anti anything that manipulates and suppresses the people of this country" to fanaticism when you mock the people that you deem to be suppressed and manipulated.

Where do I mock the irish people? I mock those who came on here after the industrial school reports defending the church and now are nowhere to be seen.