Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

Orior

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 01, 2018, 10:42:09 AM
I went to St Colman's for 7 years. I knew many good priests when I was there. Finnegan was President for my last few years. He was a scruffy individual an a drunk. Loads of rumours about him being fond of the boys. I am not aware though of him being prolific or unnecessarily
violent as is being portrayed. I think perhaps spotlight and Nolan are over egging it. I have defended Bishop McAreavy in the past here but the revelations now of his knowledge and it would appear a failure to disclose information to his fellow governors makes his position untenable.

As mentioned on the show last night, we were all very resilient in those days. When something bad happened, we just picked ourselves up and carried on - just like Sean from Hilltown. We didn't have Social Media to whip up outrage or disgust. Same thing with shootings and explosions. Sean and Paul suppressed it. Speaking up was not possible. And when someone did, both the church hierarchy and police dropped it. 
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Taylor

When it was revealed that McAreavey felt it was better not to make a scene at the 150 year anniversary as Finnegan showed up unexpectedly would have been believable until they said at the end McAreavey officiated at Finnegans funeral.

This shows McAreavey didnt give a flying f**k about any previous indiscretions.

The bit about the photos on the wall at the school - no big deal - there are far more important things at play here.

Nolan and yer one were far more interested in making it about them and how they would keep this going than the actual victims.

McAreavey has to step down. At worst negligent - at best complicit and actually oversaw Finnegan being protected.

PSNI have to give answers as well

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Taylor on March 01, 2018, 11:13:50 AM
When it was revealed that McAreavey felt it was better not to make a scene at the 150 year anniversary as Finnegan showed up unexpectedly would have been believable until they said at the end McAreavey officiated at Finnegans funeral.

The bit about the photos on the wall at the school - no big deal - there are far more important things at play here.

Nolan and yer one were far more interested in making it about them and how they would keep this going than the actual victims.

McAreavey has to step down. At worst negligent - at best complicit and actually oversaw Finnegan being protected.

But but, Nolan gave such a long pause at this bit, surely that means its really important?!

Orior

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on March 01, 2018, 11:17:45 AM

But but, Nolan gave such a long pause at this bit, surely that means its really important?!

Indeed, if the school had not removed his image, then Nolan would not have given it a second thought.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on March 01, 2018, 11:17:45 AM

That wasnt a long pause, he was just struggling to breathe the fat turd
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

Bishop McAreavey has resigned. 

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Rois on March 01, 2018, 05:45:06 PM
Bishop McAreavey has resigned.
The right thing to do in the circumstances.

theskull1

Only annoying thing is that shock jock Nolan will be taking the credit
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

longballin

Is right he resigned, sad that Brady didn't do the same.

smelmoth

Quote from: theskull1 on March 01, 2018, 06:06:45 PM

That is annoying.

But it's the only annoying thing.

I assume the St Colman's role was ex officio and the school gets rid of him without having to do anything.

In searching for replacements I assume both institutions will have the wit to do a background check on the candidates

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: smelmoth on March 01, 2018, 06:13:04 PM

That is annoying.

I assume the St Colman's role was ex officio and the school gets rid of him without having to do anything.

In searching for replacements I assume both institutions will have the wit to do a background check on the candidates

Not sure if he still is but he was Chairman of the Board of Governors. The damage to the reputation of the school has been huge from what I can gather.....but it was very much an open secret.

smelmoth

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 01, 2018, 06:23:27 PM

That is annoying.

Not sure if he still is but he was Chairman of the Board of Governors. The damage to the reputation of the school has been huge from what I can gather.....but it was very much an open secret.

Tony will be along to perform a citizens arrest on you later

Targetman

Eventually he makes the correct decision!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: smelmoth on March 01, 2018, 06:26:05 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 01, 2018, 06:23:27 PM

That is annoying.

Tony will be along to perform a citizens arrest on you later

That would be fun .... I busted many's the man from tir na nOg in me days....he'd just join the long list ;D

naka

Quote from: Orior on February 28, 2018, 11:38:26 PM
I know Bishop McAreavy to be a kind, honest and devout priest.

Orior I sat in mass one evening listening to him give a sermon in which he chatted about his year out travelling to Australia, California and china.
The couple beside me hadn't two pennies to rub together but still gave a tenner.
Then he started on about parishioners need to set up standing orders for their offerings
I thought like wtf
He should look  at father Ralph in newry and the other Dominicans to realise what a service is.
He had to go , because quite simply he kept quiet!  and allowed damage to go unhindered.

Funnily I remember being at the abbey in the 80s and the chant at the games against the college was always
"Flappy Finnegan is a homosexual "