Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

muppet

Quote from: Franko on March 14, 2016, 09:25:00 AM
Quote from: muppet on March 11, 2016, 02:44:09 PM
Quote from: Franko on March 11, 2016, 02:34:57 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on March 11, 2016, 02:00:42 PM
It all boils down to faith.

Well that's it then lads.  Pack up your things and go, this debate is done.

Why do you keep doing this?

Surely you recognised the sarcasm in that comment?

Though it's ironic that YOU would ask ME this question given the way this thread has been going.

MWWSI 2017

Franko

Quote from: muppet on March 14, 2016, 10:21:55 AM
Quote from: Franko on March 14, 2016, 09:25:00 AM
Quote from: muppet on March 11, 2016, 02:44:09 PM
Quote from: Franko on March 11, 2016, 02:34:57 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on March 11, 2016, 02:00:42 PM
It all boils down to faith.

Well that's it then lads.  Pack up your things and go, this debate is done.

Surely you recognised the sarcasm in that comment?

Though it's ironic that YOU would ask ME this question given the way this thread has been going.

You didn't recognise the sarcasm then?  Ah well, sure you can consider yourself corrected and we'll say no more about it.

muppet

Ah I see. So you were making a joke.

Brilliant.

MWWSI 2017

AhNowRef

Quote from: T Fearon on March 12, 2016, 10:56:05 PM
But you said Mr Boland was aware of abuse allegations against his child,but didn't go to the Police.You give him a free pass for this but crucify Sean Brady for the same failure.That is hypocrisy.If Brady is guilty so is Mr Boland,there is no other logic I'm afraid.

You are clearly insane !!

Franko

Quote from: muppet on March 14, 2016, 10:52:09 AM
Ah I see. So you were making a joke.

Brilliant.

Thanks.  Glad to see you finally got there.

imtommygunn

That's a ludicrous statement. If you do something bad and someone else does something worse are you not that bad?? ???

T Fearon

Really the point I'm trying to make is that this vile stuff was not confined  to the Catholic Church,and as this thread is titled Clerical Abuse,it is appropriate that the problems faced by other churches should be highlighted

muppet

I am glad to see Tony welcoming a report into this heinous crime against children.

We need many more such reports, especially in Ireland.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Yes the problem was endemic in all institutions,and mishandled in all of them as well.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on March 15, 2016, 07:31:25 PM
Yes the problem was endemic in all institutions,and mishandled in all of them as well.

All institutions? Hardly.

Maybe you meant all dioceses?

MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

smelmoth

Quote from: armaghniac on March 15, 2016, 08:21:00 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 15, 2016, 07:45:01 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on March 15, 2016, 07:31:25 PM

All institutions? Hardly.

Maybe you meant all dioceses?

Not just the Taigs
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/15/damning-report-reveals-church-of-england-failure-to-act-on-abuse

It was never confined to catholic clergy but is there another organisation in the world that could rival the catholic church for the level of abuse or the level of cover up?

Maybe Tony and the like just hope that after shouting down any criticism as "anti-catholic" they can get a few years under the belt without any new abuse stories and then the past will be forgotten. We are now on the cusp of the Easter rising commemoration and how many times is Casement or  Pearse's own issues in this respect ever raised? Maybe it is possible to bury this stuff?

smelmoth

Quote from: T Fearon on March 25, 2016, 11:48:05 PM
I am not calling for anything to be buried.Let it all out in the open.A couple of weeks ago a guy was nominated for Taoiseach and he allegedly covered up his sibling's child abuse,and not a word about it,and certainly it didn't stop his nomination for the post of Taoiseach.

Child abuse has been happening sadly since time immemorial,in all organisations and in a lot of families.My main gripe has been with the exclusive vilification of Sean Brady,for his relatively minor role over 40 years ago, when, as is very clear,he heard unsubstantiated allegations of clerical abuse and reported these accurately and timeously to his Church superiors,in presumably,the belief that they would act accordingly.I can only conclude that this sustained and totally unwarranted vilification of this man alone,is a product of anti Catholicism.I can see no other logical reason.
I can see your frustration at other getting a buy ball. Certainly serious questions still to be need to be asked of Adams but if we are going into the situation of asking Gerry about his past those questions are not going to end with covering up child abuse. There is a real issue of selective memory. Is Casement the sort of individual we should name a stadium after? Should Pearse be honoured over these days? People it would seem prefer to forget these things.

But the absence of appropriate questions being asked of others does nothing to impact on Brady's guilt. If Brady had done in the north what he did in the south he would be a convicted criminal and would have went to prison. His actions at the time where those of morally bankrupt individual. His subsequent  actions will damn him forever. And rightly so

muppet

http://uk.businessinsider.com/r-as-pope-visit-nears-us-sex-victims-say-church-remains-obstacle-to-justice-2015-9?r=US&IR=T

The Catholic Church is fighting to block bills that would extend the statute of limitations for reporting sex abuse
MWWSI 2017