Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

The Iceman

Quote from: johnneycool on March 04, 2016, 09:25:42 AM
Quote from: Main Street on March 04, 2016, 12:49:47 AM
Though this is  not at all to imply a connection between gay clergy  and the catholic church pedophilia plague and their enablers.
I just find this type of research immensly amusing.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/07/29/catholic-priests-its-empirical-fact-that-many-clergy-are-gay

Some Catholic clergy say most priests are gay
According to Father James Bretzke, a professor of moral theology at Boston College,.
"It's an empirical fact that lots of men are gay who are priests. And they are very good priests," he says. "I would also observe that the numbers of gay men and women in the church ministry is probably larger than the general population, precisely because they are not seeking marriage."

The notion that many Catholic priests are quietly gay is not new. In the 2000 book "The Changing Face of the Priesthood," Rev. Donald B. Cozzens suggested that the priesthood was increasingly becoming a gay profession. Cozzens estimated that as much as 58 percent of priests were gay, and that percentages were even higher for younger priests. His numbers matched previous estimates by sociologists who put the numbers of gay priests between 10 and 60 percent.

Father Gary Meier, a gay, St. Louis-based Catholic clergymen, says there's a wide range of statistics out there on gay priests, but jokes that in his experience, "30 percent are gay, 30 percent are straight, and 30 percent are in denial."

IMO 'vocations' to the clergy would always have had a high closet gay percentage, I don't find this surprising at all.

Young lad, growing up in rural Ireland, possibly of farming stock, a wee bit effeminate, he'd have been earmarked for the priesthood by his mother early days and dispatched to a seminary as soon as possible.

Its a big thing having a priest in the family in Ireland, well it was in our not too distant past.

And I'm not making a connection between homosexuality and pedophilia, they're two very different things.

then why point it out?
It's funny the PC brigade on here would shoot down anyone else on any other topic for even highlighting someone was gay.... what difference does it make? Can gay men not be called to the Priesthood? Do Gay men not have vocations? Are they different because they are gay?

I have 2 friends currently in seminary - I can tell you they are not gay - one of them was engaged before he "got the call" and the pair of them have had their fair share of girls. Today it is harder than ever to even get in to seminary.  There is a full psych evaluation and many are turned away because the Church is finally taking the time to ensure the calling is real. 

You can't bring homosexuality in to a conversation about clerical abuse (pedophilia) and then say you're not making a connection.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on March 04, 2016, 04:00:52 PM
Though this is  not at all to imply a connection between gay clergy  and the catholic church pedophilia plague and their enablers.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/07/29/catholic-priests-its-empirical-fact-that-many-clergy-are-gay

According to Father James Bretzke, a professor of moral theology at Boston College,.
"It's an empirical fact that lots of men are gay who are priests. And they are very good priests," he says. "I would also observe that the numbers of gay men and women in the church ministry is probably larger than the general population, precisely because they are not seeking marriage."

The notion that many Catholic priests are quietly gay is not new. In the 2000 book "The Changing Face of the Priesthood," Rev. Donald B. Cozzens suggested that the priesthood was increasingly becoming a gay profession. Cozzens estimated that as much as 58 percent of priests were gay, and that percentages were even higher for younger priests. His numbers matched previous estimates by sociologists who put the numbers of gay priests between 10 and 60 percent.

Father Gary Meier, a gay, St. Louis-based Catholic clergymen, says there's a wide range of statistics out there on gay priests, but jokes that in his experience, "30 percent are gay, 30 percent are straight, and 30 percent are in denial."

IMO 'vocations' to the clergy would always have had a high closet gay percentage, I don't find this surprising at all.

Young lad, growing up in rural Ireland, possibly of farming stock, a wee bit effeminate, he'd have been earmarked for the priesthood by his mother early days and dispatched to a seminary as soon as possible.

Its a big thing having a priest in the family in Ireland, well it was in our not too distant past.

And I'm not making a connection between homosexuality and pedophilia, they're two very different things.

then why point it out?
It's funny the PC brigade on here would shoot down anyone else on any other topic for even highlighting someone was gay.... what difference does it make? Can gay men not be called to the Priesthood? Do Gay men not have vocations? Are they different because they are gay?

I have 2 friends currently in seminary - I can tell you they are not gay - one of them was engaged before he "got the call" and the pair of them have had their fair share of girls. Today it is harder than ever to even get in to seminary.  There is a full psych evaluation and many are turned away because the Church is finally taking the time to ensure the calling is real. 

You can't bring homosexuality in to a conversation about clerical abuse (pedophilia) and then say you're not making a connection.....

This is fair enough Iceman as long as you also disapprove when, for example, the Vatican makes the connection: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/15/world/europe/15vatican.html?_r=0
MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

Quote from: muppet on March 04, 2016, 04:12:34 PM

then why point it out?

This is fair enough Iceman as long as you also disapprove when, for example, the Vatican makes the connection: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/15/world/europe/15vatican.html?_r=0
I'm disapproving not having the conviction. why bring something in to the mix if you're not going to stand on it? whats the point then?
Why wasn't he shot down by the normal brigade?
Can gay men be priests? good priests? real priests?
I just find it interesting that he went nearly unchallenged by the normal folks who would champion gay rights (which has to include the right to be a priest if that is the life they are called to).....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Main Street

then why point it out?

I did bring a topic on homosexuality into a thread about clerical abuse and clearly  said in the first line that  I am not making a connection.
It's not my first inclination  to adjust my approach in order not to stimulate prejudice in the minds of bigots and  the uneducated. 
I just thought people like Tony (anti gay but pro pedophile enabling)  should be aware of the 50% possibility that he is being served by a gay priest.
And personally, I probably would be much more inclined towards an openly gay priest.

The Iceman

Quote from: Main Street on March 04, 2016, 04:38:36 PM

then why point it out?

I did bring a topic on homosexuality into a thread about clerical abuse and clearly  said in the first line that  I am not making a connection.
It's not my first inclination  to adjust my approach in order not to stimulate prejudice in the minds of bigots and  the uneducated. 
I just thought people like Tony (anti gay but pro pedophile enabling)  should be aware of the 50% possibility that he is being served by a gay priest.
And personally, I probably would be much more inclined towards an openly gay priest.
what does that even mean?

in a role where chastity is one of the vows - what difference does it make what their sexuality is? openly gay? openly straight? what difference does it make in a priestly role? how are priests openly anything? I'm note sure I get where you're headed with any of this?

calling people bigots and uneducated doesn't further your point....

T Fearon

I am not anti gay or pro paedophile enabling as I suspect you well know.There is no room for homosexual priests,how would any homosexual even be attracted to the priesthood.

The Iceman

Quote from: T Fearon on March 04, 2016, 04:44:06 PM
I am not anti gay or pro paedophile enabling as I suspect you well know.There is no room for homosexual priests,how would any homosexual even be attracted to the priesthood.
please explain

Main Street

Quote from: The Iceman on March 04, 2016, 04:42:46 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 04, 2016, 04:38:36 PM

then why point it out?

what does that even mean?

What that means is
I don't have any contact with priests in their clerical roles  and generally have no contact with a priest at all, but if in a social context there were 2 priests and I had to chose one to have a chat with 
and one of them was totally comfortable with his homosexuality, I would probably be much more inclined to chose him.
Maybe it's to do with a positive image of homosexuals that I have in my head. And /or  if a priest was comfortable with his homosexuality in a bastion of gay hate, I probably would love to pursue a conversation with that priest. I am just that way, sociable, curious and s great conversationalist.

Quotein a role where chastity is one of the vows - what difference does it make what their sexuality is? openly gay? openly straight? what difference does it make in a priestly role? how are priests openly anything? I'm note sure I get where you're headed with any of this?

calling people bigots and uneducated doesn't further your point....

Thank you for sharing that.

muppet

You are not anti-gay, but you would discriminate against homosexual priests and you have also claimed before that you would disown a gay family member.

Imagine if you were anti-gay!
MWWSI 2017

J70

Presumably the same way that any heterosexual would be attracted to the priesthood?

seafoid

Quote from: The Iceman on March 04, 2016, 05:03:04 PM
please explain
he must be thinking in terms of vaginas
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

The Iceman

Not sure how many of you have participated in child protection training - I think it's something everyone should do. Part of the training involves interviews with predators  -real stories, real examples, real profiles.  They are attracted to roles/jobs that put them close to their victims. They are often found in churches - priests, ministers, youth workers. Also in lots of other organisations that give them access - schools, care centers, scouting organisations - there is no coincidence here.

Sadly these predators have found their way in to these organisations, gained our trust and abused our children - all under our watch. Not just Catholic's watch, or Christian's watch but all of our watch.
The church failed us all in it's response. And continue to do so in man many locations and ways. 

It's no secret that many of you have other issues with the church, or axes to grind. As much as you go after Tony for his abhorrent and continuing abuse of the parents of these victims - there are just as many on here who use the victims to grind their own axes with the church.  I say this because your goal is to have Catholics leave the Church rather than stay and help fix it.  If your intentions were truly about the victims I don't think many of you would be so adamant about that or calling for parishioners to stand up in Mass and condemn everyone....

My goal is to protect children  - to ensure it doesnt happen again in my parish - to work with other people within the church to effect change - I can shout and sling mud all I want o the gaaboard or I can roll up my sleeves and do something about it

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on March 04, 2016, 06:29:36 PM
Not sure how many of you have participated in child protection training - I think it's something everyone should do. Part of the training involves interviews with predators  -real stories, real examples, real profiles.  They are attracted to roles/jobs that put them close to their victims. They are often found in churches - priests, ministers, youth workers. Also in lots of other organisations that give them access - schools, care centers, scouting organisations - there is no coincidence here.

Sadly these predators have found their way in to these organisations, gained our trust and abused our children - all under our watch. Not just Catholic's watch, or Christian's watch but all of our watch.
The church failed us all in it's response. And continue to do so in man many locations and ways. 

It's no secret that many of you have other issues with the church, or axes to grind. As much as you go after Tony for his abhorrent and continuing abuse of the parents of these victims - there are just as many on here who use the victims to grind their own axes with the church.  I say this because your goal is to have Catholics leave the Church rather than stay and help fix it.  If your intentions were truly about the victims I don't think many of you would be so adamant about that or calling for parishioners to stand up in Mass and condemn everyone....

My goal is to protect children  - to ensure it doesnt happen again in my parish - to work with other people within the church to effect change - I can shout and sling mud all I want o the gaaboard or I can roll up my sleeves and do something about it

This is all correct. We have had a few high profile cases in Ireland involving children's swimming coaches.

Pedophiles finds ways of getting access to children, just as pedophile priests did.

But Iceman, after that you attack critics of the Church's response. This can appear as if you are defending the Church's response, which I don't think you are. If the swimming authorities carried on in the same fashion, moving known pedophiles around for decades and refusing to co-operate with the authorities, they would be savagely condemned, and rightly so. But claiming that those critics were trying to stop people swimming would be missing the point completely.

The Church hierarchy brought this upon themselves, they continue to disappoint (most diplomatic word I could find considering the horrific crimes involved) in their response and until they practice what they preach and confess everything they know to the authorities, they simply have no credibility as far as I am concerned. The people involved in hiding this stuff have no business pretending to run a religion.
MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

Quote from: muppet on March 04, 2016, 06:59:45 PM

This is all correct. We have had a few high profile cases in Ireland involving children's swimming coaches.

Pedophiles finds ways of getting access to children, just as pedophile priests did.

But Iceman, after that you attack critics of the Church's response. This can appear as if you are defending the Church's response, which I don't think you are. If the swimming authorities carried on in the same fashion, moving known pedophiles around for decades and refusing to co-operate with the authorities, they would be savagely condemned, and rightly so. But claiming that those critics were trying to stop people swimming would be missing the point completely.

The Church hierarchy brought this upon themselves, they continue to disappoint (most diplomatic word I could find considering the horrific crimes involved) in their response and until they practice what they preach and confess everything they know to the authorities, they simply have no credibility as far as I am concerned. The people involved in hiding this stuff have no business pretending to run a religion.

Perhaps your understanding of religion and my understanding of faith are just not the same?
I need the Church because without the church there are no Priests and without Priests there is no Eucharist and without the Eucharist then there is really nothing......
I freely admit and agree with you that we have and continue to be failed by the Church.  My point is I'm doing what I can on the ground, from within to ensure it doesn't happen on my watch in my church in my parish.  Championing a thread on a gaaboard isn't really going to change anything.  Maybe you've donated to victims funds, or offered support to someone who has been abused - and if that's the case then great thank you.  But if this is it for you and others then it's not enough and your intentions are not as true as you might care to admit.
There are victims of clerical abuse in my family circle.  It did not change who Jesus was or who Priests are - but it changed the institution of the Church and my own responsibility as part of that....

muppet

Quote from: The Iceman on March 04, 2016, 07:28:55 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 04, 2016, 06:59:45 PM

Perhaps your understanding of religion and my understanding of faith are just not the same?
I need the Church because without the church there are no Priests and without Priests there is no Eucharist and without the Eucharist then there is really nothing......
I freely admit and agree with you that we have and continue to be failed by the Church.  My point is I'm doing what I can on the ground, from within to ensure it doesn't happen on my watch in my church in my parish.  Championing a thread on a gaaboard isn't really going to change anything.  Maybe you've donated to victims funds, or offered support to someone who has been abused - and if that's the case then great thank you.  But if this is it for you and others then it's not enough and your intentions are not as true as you might care to admit.
There are victims of clerical abuse in my family circle.  It did not change who Jesus was or who Priests are - but it changed the institution of the Church and my own responsibility as part of that....

Then you and your family have my deepest sympathy.

I grew up a Catholic and was educated in Catholic schools, including boarding school. I was educated by Brothers and Priests. I am not aware that any of them was ever accused of abusing anyone and I have the greatest regard for what they did for the children under their care. There were many mistakes, but afaik no abuse as it would be understood in the context of this thread.

My problem is with the behaviour of the Church hierarchy in the past, present and no doubt in the future. It is the same modus operandi all over the world and it all leads back to the Bishops, Cardinals and The Vatican. Deny, obfuscate, hide behind legal proceedings & make life difficult for the victims. Thus continuing the abuse.

Everything the above men taught me about God tells me He would abhor the crime of clerical child abuse and He would abhor the Church hierarchy's reaction to it. So I no longer connect the two. It is completely illogical to me that these men, who call themselves men of God, are really men of God. If I believed in Satan, which I don't, I would see them far more likely to be aligned with him.

Sorry if that offends, it isn't meant to. But as I say, I can see no logical connection between men who cover up child abuse and protect the abusers, and the God they claim to represent.
MWWSI 2017