Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

No wides

Quote from: T Fearon on January 30, 2016, 10:05:25 PM
Catholic Church is now squeaky clean,in terms of dealing with child abuse allegations,show me a shred of evidence to the contrary.

More importantly will those who jumped so readily onto Fr Gallagher's bandwagon,confirming their own inherent prejudices,admit they were wrong?

You keep saying now - what is now, today and today alone - what about the f**ker who married me and I am not an old person - so now you mean from 30/01/16 the catholic church is squeaky clean - are you for real?

T Fearon

The f..ker who married you? What's her name? I am saying that from recent years the Church has robust procedures for dealing with child abuse allegations which see priests regularly stood down,the moment an allegation is made,to all full investigations to proceed.

Aaron Boone

I'll be at 11am mass Sunday in Mount Argus, Dublin.  Fr. Brian D' from Fermanagh practised there and it's a very serious Dublin-city place to worship.

I have kids. At Mount Argus, there are great people and great controls.

No wides

Quote from: T Fearon on January 30, 2016, 11:05:03 PM
The f..ker who married you? What's her name? I am saying that from recent years the Church has robust procedures for dealing with child abuse allegations which see priests regularly stood down,the moment an allegation is made,to all full investigations to proceed.

You are one sick individual, I reported that comment to the mods but was presented with The last topic report from your IP was less than 60 seconds ago. Please try again later. - a statement which never goes away - so if its your world boss as it appears to be based on your posts fair play, I think you are a sick perverted individual akin to the bastard who performed the ceremony at my wedding.

omaghjoe

I dont know if Tony half the time is serious, a WUM, or maybe a retrospective WUM, but if its either of the later two its worked in spectacular fashion on the newbie. ;D ;D ;D

No wides maybe you should look up Tony's history, he has a particular funny escapade around the 03 AI final and then he let everyone know about it, posters regularly remind him know about it...

T Fearon

No wides."The f...ker who married me" is a highly derogatory term,whether it's applied to your spouse or to the person who officiated at the wedding ceremony.That makes you a hypocrit.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: T Fearon on January 31, 2016, 08:52:11 AM
No wides."The f...ker who married me" is a highly derogatory term,whether it's applied to your spouse or to the person who officiated at the wedding ceremony.That makes you a hypocrit.

Tony play the ball not the man. Your desire to defend the church is your right but not to denigrate someone else on here and their family. If the 'f**ker' that he referred to posted your message then fine. You wouldn't appreciate it if someone made a similar comment about your wife now would you?

T Fearon

Ah ffs it was a joke,a play on words! If f..ker was all my wife called me I'd be a happy man!😂😂

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: T Fearon on January 31, 2016, 10:48:08 AM
Ah ffs it was a joke,a play on words! If f..ker was all my wife called me I'd be a happy man!😂😂

But if I called your wife a f**ker would you be happy?  I know what would happen if it was said to me about my wife. It was snide and disrespectful Tony and you should apologise and delete it.

No wides

Quote from: T Fearon on January 31, 2016, 08:52:11 AM

The individual who married me is now a convicted pedophile, I stand by the term I used to describe this individual.   

No wides

And we all know I mean officiated at my wedding so there is no ambiguity.

Hardy

Quote from: T Fearon on January 30, 2016, 10:05:25 PM
Catholic Church is now squeaky clean,in terms of dealing with child abuse allegations,show me a shred of evidence to the contrary.

More importantly will those who jumped so readily onto Fr Gallagher's bandwagon,confirming their own inherent prejudices,admit they were wrong?

Yeah, of course. Based on all prior knowledge and known precedent there is no vestige of a reason to doubt an official statement from a Catholic diocese.

Main Street

Quote from: Oraisteach on January 30, 2016, 06:08:08 PM
Just read the long and detailed statement provided by the Diocese of Palm Beach (thanks for the link FL/MAYO).  If indeed, events occurred as the statement describes them, then I have to say that the Church should not be faulted and that it acted properly and promptly, and in accordance with its own protocol and the demands of the law.

I truly hope that's the case because, frankly, the news of yet another abuse cover-up in the aftermath of the church's Zero Tolerance policy statements was simply devastating.  I sincerely hope that the diocesan statement is correct and not itself a cover-up crafted by its legal team.

Now I await further news about this case.  I'd love to read an investigative report from a reliable disinterested party to set my mind at ease, and I do hope that the diocesan report is a full and honest report of the Fr. Gallagher incident.
If you read the statement carefully it says nothing. It just denies and throws mud at Gallagher.
Could have been wriiten by a Tony Fearon alais  in Florida which is why he swallows it wholesale.

from the church statement
"Father Gallagher was not in any way demoted or removed because of the incident,"

Why was he demoted and frozen out then? was he 5 minutes late in holding confessions?
Apparently the Church also says he wasn't demoted and moved, rather he was given a new appointment with residence  ;D

from the church statement
'It was Gallagher who "ignored" church protocol for reporting sexual abuse against a minor, the statement said. Those guidelines mandate that sexual abuse allegations be immediately reported to an abuse hotline and then to the diocese'.

Gallagher had immediately reported the pedophile  to the authorities via the abuse hotline PBSO, was he 5 minutes late in reporting it to the diocese?

The church say they never changed the locks,  therefore Gallagher must have come with the wrong keys? ::)

In response to previous church denials  here's another article which Gallagher's actions  hold much more credibility and are well supported by other sources.
http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news/news/whistleblower-priest-claims-palm-beach-diocese-for/nqCHJ/

The diocese also released two statements it put out about Palimattom's arrest in January 2015. They make no mention of Gallagher's role.
David Clohessy, director of the Survivors Network for those Abused by Priests, said he is familiar with Gallagher's saga and believes the diocese retaliated against a whistleblower.
"It's part of a long continuing pattern where church officials shoot the messenger and put their careers ahead of the safety of kids," Clohessy said.

Mike Gauger, PBSO's chief deputy, did not respond to messages from The Post, but he gave Gallagher glowing praise in a letter to Cardinal O'Malley on July 20 for helping prosecute Palimattom. O'Malley served eight months as Palm Beach bishop in 2002 and 2003 and heads a pontifical commission for the protection of minors set up by Pope Francis in 2014.

"Over the last 44 years of law enforcement experience I have witnessed other events where church staff was not forthright in providing information to our investigators and actually impeded our investigation by their lack of cooperation," Gauger said.
"I would expect that Father Gallagher's immediate cooperation should be recognized by the Catholic Church and he receive accolades for his compliance with criminal investigators.''

Knowing the stress he has gone through, Gallagher said, he still would call law enforcement if another case came to his attention.
"I do not regret my decision. I do not regret protecting a minor or protecting the people under my care," he said.

Main Street

The Catholic Church deny that Gallagher was demoted
however
http://www.diocesepb.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=news.details&ArticleId=7149&returnTo=2015-press-releases

new priest assignments may 18 - 2015
Father John Gallagher
From Parochial Administrator of Holy Name of Jesus Parish in West Palm Beach
To Parochial Vicar of St. Joseph Parish in Stuart

A PA functions as pastor,  a vicar is a pastor's underling. Usually a PA is appointed Pastor.

From the church's own definitions
When a parish is "vacant," meaning that the pastor has retired, been transferred to another assignment, or is incapable of exercising his duties as a pastor, the bishop must appoint as soon as possible a parochial administrator. In general, an administrator has the same duties and scope of authority as a pastor; however, these may be limited by the bishop. The bishop in time may decide to appoint the administrator as the pastor.

T Fearon

Ffs,with the modern day scrutiny on account of past mistakes it would be an act of complete lunacy for anyone in the Church to even contemplate covering up child abuse in the present day.

A bit of humility and acknowledgement of the progress made,from the anti Catholic constituency,wouldn't go amiss.