Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

Oraisteach

Well, that's a huge weight off my mind.  Tony assures me there's no code of silence or closing of ranks.  His word is Gospel, in my book.  It must be a brutal burden to be omniscient.

Main Street

Quote from: T Fearon on January 27, 2016, 10:32:40 PM
One isolated case which a member of the Church brought to light? The problem exactly is what?
The argument of that so and so is an isolated case,  is offered at the end of court case, after the defendant has been investigated. the evidence tested in court and has been found guilty and it is offered in order to mitigate the sentence of the court.
It is not offered beforehand to prevent or deflect an investigation.

There was one child rape by a pedophile  in  County  so and so, ah sure it's just an isolated incident, one rape in the whole county, so we will take no criminal action, just move the poor pedophile to another town where different children will be at risk.

And you say that was just a mistake when in fact it is a serious criminal act to permit children be knowingly put at risk to a (confessed) pedophile.
The problem is Tony, not that this might be an isolated case but that you chose to regard a deliberate decision to put children at risk  to a pedophile, as a mere mistake.

T Fearon

The fact is a cleric correctly informed the authorities.The bizarre scenario of blaming the global Catholic Church for the attitude of a few of his colleagues,and suggesting that the cover up of child abuse in the church is still rife,without any further evidence,is I'm afraid a symptom of irrational anti catholicism

imtommygunn

It's ok though - you can counter irrational anti catholicism with your irrational catholicism ;D

(Disclaimer i am not saying everyone's catholicism is irrational just yours based on what you spout :))

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: T Fearon on January 28, 2016, 07:03:51 AM
The fact is a cleric correctly informed the authorities.The bizarre scenario of blaming the global Catholic Church for the attitude of a few of his colleagues,and suggesting that the cover up of child abuse in the church is still rife,without any further evidence,is I'm afraid a symptom of irrational anti catholicism
They were not just colleagues,   it was his superiors I.e. The Bishop adopting this attitude, ,   other priests in the same position will look at this and possibly think twice about doing what Father Gallagher rightly did when they see ramifications for them

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on January 27, 2016, 11:22:55 PM
There are paedophiles in the church,just as there are paedophiles in every profession,not all of whom will be detected,and some of whom will slip through the net,with the aid of misguided or equally perverted colleagues,unfortunately.But the Church has learned lessons and robust,but not infallible, procedures are now in place,and there is no officially endorsed code of silence or closing of ranks.One isolated case proves nothing,the amount of priests being stood down proves everything.
There are more paedophiles in the Church. It attracts them. And celibacy isn't relevant in the real world.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

T Fearon

Celibacy is the choice of the vast majority of good.priests and all singletons and has been since time began.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on January 28, 2016, 10:45:02 AM
Celibacy is the choice of the vast majority of good.priests and all singletons and has been since time began.
celibacy attracts perverts
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

blewuporstuffed

Eh?  :-\
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

No wides

Surely it is a pre-requisite to becoming a priest - hardly a choice, they get wedding rings as they are ahem married to God, so please please tell me how it is a choice?

From the Bunker

Celibacy is the choice of the vast majority of good.priests and all singletons and has been since time began

https://www.futurechurch.org/brief-history-of-celibacy-in-catholic-church

Main Street

Quote from: T Fearon on January 28, 2016, 07:03:51 AM
Eh no,   you asked what the problem was, I told you that the problem was with you,  you regarding the persecution of the actions of the priest to bring this pedophile to task  was a mistake. A mere mistake !! when in fact it is a serious criminal act to enable an admitted active pedophile to put children at risk from his evil ways.
You do understand the difference between a mistake and a criminal act?

Do you have an increasing difficulty to read and comprehend  what's written in a post, using that part of your rational mind to comprehend what's written? I do not ask you to agree but just comprehend.  You give me the impression that you have an inability to use your intellect in a rational manner, that  you have flipped over to predominantly hysterical emotional reactions, manufacturing arguments that do not exist, seeing conspiracy motives that do not exist. And it is a condition which is progressively getting worse.

T Fearon

The (relatively few) clerics ostracising the priest are mistaken and misguided, but not facilitators of child abuse. Perhaps they were sendng the pervert hme to be dealt with by his own order. Child abuse facilitators are human traffickers etc, not those incapable of learning from past mistakes and those who mishandled situations in the past.

The key point is a good priest did his Christian duty, those who ostracise him a largely immaterial in the grand scheme of things

From the Bunker

Quote from: T Fearon on January 28, 2016, 04:56:29 PM
The (relatively few) clerics ostracising the priest are mistaken and misguided, but not facilitators of child abuse. Perhaps they were sendng the pervert hme to be dealt with by his own order. Child abuse facilitators are human traffickers etc, not those incapable of learning from past mistakes and those who mishandled situations in the past.

The key point is a good priest did his Christian duty, those who ostracise him a largely immaterial in the grand scheme of things

I disagree. Those who ostracise him set a tone that can influence other Priests against doing the same moral duty of informing. It also shows that they have more regard for the group than the moral issue at hand.

No wides

Quote from: T Fearon on January 28, 2016, 04:56:29 PM

So what is the catholic church it didn't traffic children to be abused but rather trafficked abusers about the country and the world knowing they would abuse children where ever they were sent?