Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 01, 2013, 08:32:21 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on June 01, 2013, 07:51:10 PM
Tony. I forgot some of those sins but I have updated my list. I assume you are talking about yourself and your other half. Bad news I am afraid...

Sex before Marriage (excluding children) = 4 points. I you were having sex with children it would not be so bad but with a woman, tut tut.
Using contraception = 9 points. Only one step down from abortion. Every used condom holds within a million lives that will never be thanks to your selfishness.
Getting a Divorce = 10 points. What god joins man cannot separate.

So you and your lady friend have 23 points between you. I believe that means one of you has to go to hell and the other has 1 point to play with for the rest of their life.
My missus has never been previously married but horrifically is a prod! I may get straight into Brady's confessional box! It's either that or burning in the pits of hell with the other animals that have used condoms during consensual sex with an adult.

Marrying a protestant!, thats way off the scale.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: The Iceman on June 01, 2013, 11:23:43 PM
Just enough religion to hate and not enough to love.

Think you have that back to front. Any cursory glance at history would teach you that. Me, I don't hate anyone and don't practice any religion. Its your friends in the catholic church that help people to hate by showing people differences between them and others that are not really there.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Anyone watching Secrets of the House of God on BBC 4.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Hereiam

Watched it. Rotten to the very core

johnneycool

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on June 10, 2013, 11:34:39 PM
Anyone watching Secrets of the House of God on BBC 4.

I caught the last half hour of it. Very interesting I thought was that all these reports of the abuses of the deaf kids in Wisconsin who did complain at the time seemed to go nowhere, but it transpired that the Bishop at the time, can't remember his name had asked for guidance and assistance in removing this Father Murphy from his role but got nothing back from Cardinal Ratzingers office, the doctrine of the faith and would render them helpless.

Now this is in contradiction to Pope Benedicts line where these Bishops were acting alone in covering it up.

Another aspect of this which rang true in the Fr Brendan Smyth episode, is that the church holds the priesthood up as above human, almost angel like I think was a term used in the documentary and within this mentality they pulled ranks in coverup mode right up until their death. Like Smyth, this father Murphy was afforded a full priest burial even though the churchs own physiological reports had him as good as confess to abusing the youngsters, as he was 'fulfilling their sexual needs' as they experimented with their sexuality was the way he but it, 'putting their sins of the flesh on him', where he'd say a few prayers, go to confessions and all's right with the world.

Sick, sick individual who'll be stoking the fires of hell if such a place exists.

muppet

Watched it on BBC Player.

Same old story everywhere. Protect the organisation, discredit the victims, deny the victims, attack the victims and but always - f*ck the victims. The now infamous Oath of Silence rears its evil head again too.

Those deaf people are a remarkable bunch and should be celebrated everywhere by Catholics and non-Catholics alike.

For a final act it would be great to see 100,000 victims of clerical abuse march on St. Peter's Square.
MWWSI 2017

Count 10

Sickening beyond belief >:(

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/04/opinion/cardinal-dolan-and-the-sex-abuse-scandal.html?_r=0

Cardinal Dolan and the Sexual Abuse Scandal

By THE EDITORIAL BOARD

Published: July 3, 2013

Tragic as the sexual abuse scandal in the Roman Catholic Church has been, it is shocking to discover that Cardinal Timothy Dolan, while archbishop of Milwaukee, moved $57 million off the archdiocesan books into a cemetery trust fund six years ago in order to protect the money from damage suits by victims of abuse by priests.

Related

Dolan Sought to Protect Church Assets, Files Show (July 2, 2013)

Cardinal Dolan, now the archbishop of New York, has denied shielding the funds as an "old and discredited" allegation and "malarkey." But newly released court documents make it clear that he sought and received fast approval from the Vatican to transfer the money just as the Wisconsin Supreme Court was about to open the door to damage suits by victims raped and abused as children by Roman Catholic clergy.

"I foresee an improved protection of these funds from any legal claim and liability," Cardinal Dolan wrote rather cynically in his 2007 letter to the Vatican. The letter was released by the Milwaukee Archdiocese as part of a bankruptcy court fight with lawyers in 575 cases of damage claims. The archdiocese filed for bankruptcy protection in 2011. The law bars a debtor from transferring funds in a way that protects one class of creditors over another.

The release of about 6,000 pages of documents provided a grim backstage look at the scandal, graphically detailing the patterns of serial abuse by dozens of priests who were systematically rotated to new assignments as church officials kept criminal behaviour secret from civil authority.

It is disturbing that the current Milwaukee leader, Archbishop Jerome Listecki, said last week that the church underwent an "arc of understanding" across time to come to grips with the scandal — as if the statutory rapes of children were not always a glaring crime in the eyes of society as well as the church itself.

Cardinal Dolan was not a Milwaukee prelate during most of the abuse cases, but he faced a costly aftermath of troubles and warned the Vatican in 2003: "As victims organize and become more public, the potential for true scandal is very real." The documents showed how the Vatican slowly took years to allow dioceses to defrock embarrassing priests. Yet the same bureaucracy approved Cardinal Dolan's $57 million transfer just days after the Wisconsin court allowed victims' damage suits.

give her dixie

Now we know why Dolan was a front runner to become Pope.......
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

muppet

Quote from: give her dixie on July 05, 2013, 12:52:10 PM
Now we know why Dolan was a front runner to become Pope.......

Yea but you need to listen to his message....

On other stuff....

Nothing to see here.................
MWWSI 2017

muppet

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/priest-who-said-he-was-an-angel-of-god-jailed-for-abusing-18-boys-29405049.html

Priest who said he was an 'angel of God' jailed for abusing 18 boys

CONOR GALLAGHER – 09 JULY 2013

In some instances he threatened the boys with damnation if they reported what he did

A FORMER priest who had been on the run in Brazil for almost a decade has been jailed for 10 years for abusing 18 boys over three decades.

Peter Kennedy (74), a former member of the Kiltegan Fathers order, committed the abuse across five different counties as he was moved from parish to parish.

On one occasion he told a boy that he was an "angel of God and God didn't mind what he did".

Some of the children went to their parents about the abuse but the situation was not reported to gardai or the church authorities. When one boy told his mother what had happened she slapped him and said "how dare you say that about a priest".

Another boy was repeatedly abused when Kennedy visited the family home to pray with the child's dying father and administer the last rites. While molesting him, Kennedy told the victim that "if he was a nice boy his father would be okay".

In 2003, Kennedy was involved in one of the largest sexual abuse settlements ever seen in Ireland, which resulted in a victim of his being awarded €325,000.

But afterwards he went to London to work as a taxi driver before fleeing to Brazil using a British passport. He rem- ained there for eight years before being deported to the UK in 2011.

From there he was returned to Ireland to face these charges.

Kennedy was a missionary in Africa before serving in several parishes in Ireland. He would use his position as a priest to gain access to the boys and molest them.

In some instances he threatened them with damnation if they reported what he did.

Kennedy, with a former address in Ballinahown, Westmeath, pleaded guilty to 27 counts of indecent assault in various areas of the country between 1968 and 1986.

Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard that some of these charges were "sample counts" representing more than one instance of abuse.

After hearing the evidence, Judge Martin Nolan commented that by his count there were more than 100 instances. One victim alone told gardai he was abused about 100 times.
MWWSI 2017

give her dixie

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/no-clergy-to-be-prosecuted-after-threeyear-probe-29436105.html

No clergy to be prosecuted after three-year probe

NOT a single Catholic bishop or priest will be prosecuted for covering up the scandal of clerical sex abuse over several decades at the end of a three-year Garda investigation.

The enormous and time-consuming investigation involved a team of 12 to 14 detectives who interviewed more than 800 witnesses over three years.

The probe was launched in 2009 after the Murphy report on clerical abuse in the Dublin archdiocese revealed how the Catholic priests and bishops colluded with state authorities and gardai to shield paedophile priests.

Detectives were unable to build a case against surviving clergy for secretly moving paedophiles from parish to parish during the Eighties and Nineties because covering up for child abusers was not a specific offence at the time.

New laws, such as reckless endangerment of children and defilement of a child, were passed only six years ago, while withholding information on child abuse became a criminal offence last year.

Senior Garda sources confirmed to the Sunday Independent this weekend that the case was now closed, without a single member of the clergy facing prosecution.

"Unless new evidence emerges or someone comes forward, the investigation is done and dusted," a senior source said.

The then Garda Commissioner, Fachtna Murphy, launched the inquiry in 2009, saying its focus was to establish whether the failings of the Church and state authorities "amounted to criminal behaviour".

He appointed an assistant commissioner, John O'Mahony, to report back on possible crimes, with a view to forwarding them to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

Sources said Dublin Archdiocese, under Archbishop Diarmuid Martin, co-operated fully and opened up the files to the investigation team.

More than 800 people were interviewed, including serving and retired priests, bishops and cardinals, along with victims of abuse and members of An Garda Siochana.

Sources said the investigation was complicated by the absence of laws relating to the reporting of sexual crimes and child abuse in the period under investigation. Some key clerical witnesses were elderly and infirm, and there were also instances in which some of the victims were reluctant to revisit the abuse they had suffered as children.

The investigation was later broadened out to include allegations of collusion and cover-up in the Cloyne diocese in Cork.

Files were sent to the DPP in "a number of cases" in relation to both Dublin and Cloyne. But the DPP decided not to prosecute in any of the cases and the investigation has been shut down.

The Murphy report cited numerous instances in which senior clerics failed to act on information on clerical abusers. It found that the Catholic hierarchy hid decades of child abuse to protect the Church's reputation, in some cases with the collusion of gardai.

Cardinal Desmond Connell was among four archbishops criticised for not handing over information to authorities on abusers. The report found that he was "slow to recognise" the seriousness of clerical sex abuse, and allowed priests to remain in ministry even though he was aware of complaints against them.

The final chapter of the Murphy report, which was finally published last weekend after being held up by legal proceedings, revealed an "inappropriate relationship" between gardai and the Catholic Church.

While the criminal investigation into the cover-up of child abuse is closed, the Garda watchdog has launched its own inquiry into how members of the force handled child abuse investigations.

The Garda Ombudsman launched the investigation "in the public interest" last year, on foot of the commission of inquiry into child abuse in the Cloyne diocese.

The report found that in one case, files and statements relating to a complaint of abuse against a priest were never found. It appeared that a second complaint against the priest was not investigated.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

gallsman

Quote from: The Iceman on May 31, 2013, 04:02:02 PM
The Church has every right to tell non-conforming members to leave. There shouldn't be any argument there. It doesn't matter if you think it is hypocritical or not.

I've stayed off this thread but your endless torrent of superior, self-appointed crusader shite sickens me.

Members of the church have the right to voice their opinion on its governance and teachings and, where appropriate, suggest reforms that they believe are needed. It doesn't matter if you're stupid enough to think being a Catholic is about doing what the Church tells you and accepting it as, pun intended, gospel.

haveaharp

Quote from: muppet on July 10, 2013, 04:13:14 PM
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/priest-who-said-he-was-an-angel-of-god-jailed-for-abusing-18-boys-29405049.html

Priest who said he was an 'angel of God' jailed for abusing 18 boys

CONOR GALLAGHER – 09 JULY 2013

In some instances he threatened the boys with damnation if they reported what he did

A FORMER priest who had been on the run in Brazil for almost a decade has been jailed for 10 years for abusing 18 boys over three decades.

Peter Kennedy (74), a former member of the Kiltegan Fathers order, committed the abuse across five different counties as he was moved from parish to parish.

On one occasion he told a boy that he was an "angel of God and God didn't mind what he did".

Some of the children went to their parents about the abuse but the situation was not reported to gardai or the church authorities. When one boy told his mother what had happened she slapped him and said "how dare you say that about a priest".

Another boy was repeatedly abused when Kennedy visited the family home to pray with the child's dying father and administer the last rites. While molesting him, Kennedy told the victim that "if he was a nice boy his father would be okay".

In 2003, Kennedy was involved in one of the largest sexual abuse settlements ever seen in Ireland, which resulted in a victim of his being awarded €325,000.

But afterwards he went to London to work as a taxi driver before fleeing to Brazil using a British passport. He rem- ained there for eight years before being deported to the UK in 2011.

From there he was returned to Ireland to face these charges.

Kennedy was a missionary in Africa before serving in several parishes in Ireland. He would use his position as a priest to gain access to the boys and molest them.

In some instances he threatened them with damnation if they reported what he did.

Kennedy, with a former address in Ballinahown, Westmeath, pleaded guilty to 27 counts of indecent assault in various areas of the country between 1968 and 1986.

Dublin Circuit Criminal Court heard that some of these charges were "sample counts" representing more than one instance of abuse.

After hearing the evidence, Judge Martin Nolan commented that by his count there were more than 100 instances. One victim alone told gardai he was abused about 100 times.

Thats about as sick as it gets. How anyone can ignore these issues while still chewing the altar rails of a Sunday needs their head examining.

Ulick

Quote from: haveaharp on July 29, 2013, 12:21:37 PM
Thats about as sick as it gets. How anyone can ignore these issues while still chewing the altar rails of a Sunday needs their head examining.

Do they still have altar rails? I thought they were abandoned along with kneeling, communion on the tongue and celibacy.   

The Iceman

Quote from: gallsman on July 29, 2013, 11:44:59 AM
Quote from: The Iceman on May 31, 2013, 04:02:02 PM
The Church has every right to tell non-conforming members to leave. There shouldn't be any argument there. It doesn't matter if you think it is hypocritical or not.

I've stayed off this thread but your endless torrent of superior, self-appointed crusader shite sickens me.

Members of the church have the right to voice their opinion on its governance and teachings and, where appropriate, suggest reforms that they believe are needed. It doesn't matter if you're stupid enough to think being a Catholic is about doing what the Church tells you and accepting it as, pun intended, gospel.

I'm not trying to be superior - I'm trying to bring another side to the argument / discussion.
I don't understand how my comment, still included above, would upset you?

The Church was founded by Christ. The teachings of the Church are not new laws that are passed every year by collective vote. Members are not polled to decide whether or not this should happen or that. Catholics believe the teachings are passed down through the councils over the centuries by the Power of the Holy Spirit (who Catholic believe is God). So if Catholics believe in God and His Church then they follow it's teachings.....

I don't know how to communicate that any other way.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight