Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

Itchy

To be a priest and preach catholic doctrine and then to partake in homosexual acts with men is hypocritical. Is that so hard to see?

Main Street

Don't be polluting the abuse thread with debate.

Applesisapples

It is hypocritical for a person who has engaged in a sexual assault or on wanted sexual advances to take the ardent moralistic stance he took. He has no moral authority to do so.

Ulick

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 05, 2013, 10:36:26 AM
It is hypocritical for a person who has engaged in a sexual assault or on wanted sexual advances to take the ardent moralistic stance he took. He has no moral authority to do so.

You said he was a hypocrite because of his stance on gay marriage. Now if he had said one thing and done another i.e. condemned gay marriage and then gotten married that would make him a hypocrite, but he hasn't, has he?

theskull1

Quote from: Ulick on March 05, 2013, 11:00:16 AM

You said he was a hypocrite because of his stance on gay marriage. Now if he had said one thing and done another i.e. condemned gay marriage and then gotten married that would make him a hypocrite, but he hasn't, has he?

Would it not be a fair argument to say that he used his public position as a smokescreen to hide (even from himself) his internal desires and this was the driver rather than any secondary belief that he might have in relation to gays marrying.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Main Street

You may have a point within the constructed context of gay marriage.
In another context, the ex-Cardinal railed against civil partnership,
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/9121424/We-cannot-afford-to-indulge-this-madness.html
"Those of us who were not in favour of civil partnership, believing that such relationships are harmful to the physical, mental and spiritual wellbeing of those involved"
the relationships he is referring to, are homosexual relationships.
Maybe he has an opinion that such relationships are not harmful to the physical, mental and spiritual wellbeing of those involved, if their relationships were not recognised as a civil partnership. But there is no good reason evident to grant him the benefit of the doubt.
He is railing against homosexuals living together in a relationship.
Possibly he feels that homosexuals should only indulge in casual relationships, again it would be extremely doubtful that was his intention.

If a person feels compelled to call him a hypocrite, they have a classic example of one, in ex-Cardinal O'Brien.
Maybe any old  immoral rogue and a homosexual as well, can use a high position in the catholic hierarchy, preach against homosexual relationships and it's not regarded as hypocrisy within the catholic church.

Applesisapples

In my book he was, knowing that he desired carnal knowledge of other men makes his stance on gay marriage hypocritical. dress it up whatever way you, I have to say I am getting sick of the churches continuously shooting itself in the foot.

stew

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 25, 2013, 01:01:40 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on February 24, 2013, 10:48:54 AM
They stay for the edible paper disc that IS the body of christ

Without that these people (the stupid flock) are nothing.

Cannibalism, eh?

Since you and skully baby are athiests you would probably not know that God himself uttered those words, look it up, it's in the Bible! :o
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Ulick

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 05, 2013, 03:19:49 PM

In my book he was, knowing that he desired carnal knowledge of other men makes his stance on gay marriage hypocritical. dress it up whatever way you, I have to say I am getting sick of the churches continuously shooting itself in the foot.

Then you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the term "hypocrite".

dec

http://www.sconews.co.uk/latest-edition/14858/scotland-fails-homosexual-people/

Cardinal O'Brien said "These measures were not in the best interests of our society," he said. "The empirical evidence is clear, same-sex relationships are demonstrably harmful to the medical, emotional and spiritual wellbeing of those involved, no compassionate society should ever enact legislation to facilitate or promote such relationships, we have failed those who struggle with same-sex attraction and wider society by our actions."

Main Street

Unless, unknown to every  natural and supernatural being, he was somehow transubstantiated from a rampant abusive gay to a living saint, 
he does embody the very definition of a first class hypocrite.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Main Street on March 05, 2013, 10:46:23 PM
Unless, unknown to every  natural and supernatural being, he was somehow transubstantiated from a rampant abusive gay to a living saint, 
he does embody the very definition of a first class hypocrite.
+1

Seamus

UNREPENTANT: Kevin Annett and Canada's Genocide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mbjHz-9ViE

A must see documentary.

The Court Verdict of February 25th will hopefully go a long way in Kevin's fight for justice.
"I wish I could inspire the same confidence in the truth which is so readily accorded to lies".

orangeman

How does he think people will take him seriously and how does he keep his face straight ?

Cardinal Seán Brady has said he believes that Pope Francis will continue the policy of Pope Benedict and Pope John Paul to address clerical child sex abuse in Ireland.

He said that policy was to face the facts of what happened, take care of the victims, ensure that it does not happen again and do justice to all.

muppet

Quote from: orangeman on March 14, 2013, 03:32:28 PM
How does he think people will take him seriously and how does he keep his face straight ?

Cardinal Seán Brady has said he believes that Pope Francis will continue the policy of Pope Benedict and Pope John Paul to address clerical child sex abuse in Ireland.

He said that policy was to face the facts of what happened, take care of the victims, ensure that it does not happen again and do justice to all.

This is all true, if you only see the Religious who did the misbehaving as the victims. The rest of us probably see it completely differently.
MWWSI 2017