Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

Ulick

Quote from: ziggy90 on May 08, 2012, 01:33:12 PM
f**king Hell Ulick. You seem to know your stuff.

Thanks ziggy but if I can get that much from three or four sermons, what were all these "liberal" Irish priests doing during their six years at Maynooth?

ziggy90

Thanks for that Ulick. I can clearly remember the Latin Mass and a lot of older traditions that are no longer adhered to. I live in Birmingham so those links aren't much use to me. Do you happen to know of any Traditionalists around the English Midlands?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Orior

One of my memories of the Latin mass...

Kýrie, eléison
Kýrie, eléison
Kýrie, eléison

Never knew what it meant until they brought in the English version.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ziggy90

Quote from: Orior on May 08, 2012, 02:19:08 PM

Kýrie, eléison
Kýrie, eléison
Kýrie, eléison

I always thought it was

Ciaran a licence

Christy a licence

Ulick

Quote from: ziggy90 on May 08, 2012, 02:05:59 PM
Thanks for that Ulick. I can clearly remember the Latin Mass and a lot of older traditions that are no longer adhered to. I live in Birmingham so those links aren't much use to me. Do you happen to know of any Traditionalists around the English Midlands?

Ziggy, as with over here a lot depends on the disposition of the local Bishop and there is still some resistance in the English and Welsh Conference. The Latin Mass Society has this section for East Midlands though I'm not sure if it's much use to you:

http://www.lms.org.uk/around-the-country/east-midlands
http://www.lms.org.uk/around-the-country/birmingham_and_the_black_country_rep
http://www.lms.org.uk/around-the-country/hertfordshire_and_northampton_diocese_rep
http://www.sspx.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=72&Itemid=55

I don't really know much about the tradys in England apart from Fr Horgan, a Columban missionary currently based in Solihull. He comes over to Ireland to help out around Christmas and Easter. 

Ulick

Quote from: Orior on May 08, 2012, 02:19:08 PM

Kýrie, eléison
Kýrie, eléison
Kýrie, eléison

Pays to invest in a missal which has the translation. Biggest problem over here now is finding a pre-1962 Irish missal i.e. which also gives the Mass and prayers for Irish feast days and saints. Most of them were burned in the 70s. Strangely it's easier to find the pre-1962 Gaelic missal.   

ziggy90

Quote from: Ulick on May 08, 2012, 02:43:34 PM
Quote from: ziggy90 on May 08, 2012, 02:05:59 PM

Ziggy, as with over here a lot depends on the disposition of the local Bishop and there is still some resistance in the English and Welsh Conference. The Latin Mass Society has this section for East Midlands though I'm not sure if it's much use to you:

http://www.lms.org.uk/around-the-country/east-midlands
http://www.lms.org.uk/around-the-country/birmingham_and_the_black_country_rep
http://www.lms.org.uk/around-the-country/hertfordshire_and_northampton_diocese_rep
http://www.sspx.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=72&Itemid=55

I don't really know much about the tradys in England apart from Fr Horgan, a Columban missionary currently based in Solihull. He comes over to Ireland to help out around Christmas and Easter.

I only live a stones throw away from Solihull. You don't happen to know what Parish he works in? I'm going to send you a PM.

Ulick

He's a missionary so doesn't have a parish as such. I can get you a contact number though and he can fill you in on the situation locally. 

Maguire01

Quote from: Ulick on May 08, 2012, 01:24:31 PM
"where in the Bible does it say that using condoms to prevent aids is wrong". Catholics are allowed to use barrier contraception if there is a risk of passing on a disease to the husband or wife. Every Catholic knows that surely?
Since when? The Pope's comments in November 2010? Can you show me where this is defined in Catholic teaching?
And even then, is it not still regarded as a sin and merely a 'lesser evil'?

Maguire01

"I also can't square the Churches teaching that Homosexuality is evil...Why would God make people Gay if they are intrinsically evil." Firstly, the Catholic Church does not teach that a persons sexual orientation is "intrinsically" linked to the person as a whole, so again you are misrepresenting Catholic dogma. The Church believes that homosexual acts are sinful not the person. In much the same way it believes that sex up the bum, masturbation or otherwise ejaculation outside of the body is sinful for married couples. Committing one of these acts is sinful, but no more makes the homosexual person evil than it makes the married person evil for having a w**k.
Does that mean that Catholics confess to having a w**k in Confession? They do penance for having a w**k?

armaghniac

QuoteKýrie, eléison
Kýrie, eléison
Kýrie, eléison

it's all Greek to me.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Ulick

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 08, 2012, 05:48:17 PM
"where in the Bible does it say that using condoms to prevent aids is wrong". Catholics are allowed to use barrier contraception if there is a risk of passing on a disease to the husband or wife. Every Catholic knows that surely?
Since when? The Pope's comments in November 2010? Can you show me where this is defined in Catholic teaching?

Humanae Vitae, 1968, but then as most of us here were born Catholic, raised Catholic and taught by good liberal Catholic priests, we all knew that.

orangeman

'No healing until cardinal resigns', abuse victim Brendan Boland says

Brendan Boland, one of the victims of paedophile priest Father Brendan Smyth, has said his healing and that of other victims cannot begin while Cardinal Sean Brady remains as Catholic Primate of all-Ireland.

He was responding to a public apology made by Dr Brady.

In it, the cardinal admitted he should have passed on information to parents given to him in 1975 by Mr Boland.

That information warned Fr Smyth was a danger to other children.

In a statement on Tuesday afternoon, Mr Boland thanked the cardinal for the apology and said that one day he hoped to find the strength to accept his offer of a face-to-face meeting.

Arthur_Friend

Ulick, how do all these wise men in the Church know what God thinks? Why listen to any of them over your own judgement on all these matters?

Maguire01

Quote from: Ulick on May 08, 2012, 07:38:13 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 08, 2012, 05:48:17 PM

Humanae Vitae, 1968, but then as most of us here were born Catholic, raised Catholic and taught by good liberal Catholic priests, we all knew that.
Had never heard of it - can you quote it?