Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

Tony Baloney

Quote from: give her dixie on May 01, 2012, 11:47:25 PM
Yet more evidence that Brady is up to his neck in cover ups of abuse.

No wonder he became Cardinal and Primate of All Ireland.
Should be gone by the weekend.

Orior

I hate this trial by reporters thing. And then being hung out to dry in front of a crowd of wolves wanting to tear the man apart.

If Cardinal Brady has broken a law(s) then it should be taken up by the police, and then to court.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ONeill

Quote from: Orior on May 02, 2012, 12:12:19 AM
I hate this trial by reporters thing. And then being hung out to dry in front of a crowd of wolves wanting to tear the man apart.

If Cardinal Brady has broken a law(s) then it should be taken up by the police, and then to court.

If responsibly done, it's investigative reporting which results in your second sentence actually occurring. That way, there's no dilution or backhanded activity.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

give her dixie

Did you watch the show?

I thought Darragh dealt with the facts surrounding the cases he covered, and to have the victims in the said cases speak to him and recall their experiences really backed up the show's credibility.

This isn't really a case anymore on what "Law" was broken. The facts in black and white prove that Brady was up to his neck in the cover up of abuse, and he needs to stand down.

This week we have seen Martin McVeigh take a break because he showed naked pictures of men to a group in Pomeroy.

Brady covered up sexual abuse of young boys by Brendan Smyth, and he should stand down immediately.

How can he head up the church in Ireland and know that his silence and cover up led to further abuse?

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

JUst retired

To think they silenced Fr.Brian,and allow this to happen. Where is our church going? >:(

tbrick18

what's that saying about evil and the inactions of good people?

The Catholic Church was such a powerful organisation I think they felt like they had the right to do what they wanted and any sign of weakness or wrong doing was hidden away by second nature so as to preserve the "image" of infallibility.
The entire organisation of the Church is corrupt top to bottom if you ask me, and Brady is simply a small part in a big machine. IMO, he's completely in the wrong. I think that show last night showed that not only was he in a position to help put a stop to this monster and failed to do anything, but he has continually lied in public about his role.
In politics, he'd be hung out to dry. But the church being the church he'll probably be allowed to continue and there'll be a statement of no wrong doing on their behalf.
Their statement about their being no guidelines I think is purely protecting themselves from any sort of legal action as in their eyes they didn't break any law.

But it's total bullshit.

It's becoming clearer and clearer that the Catholic Church is more interested in its own survival and public image than it is in the well being of it's members or indeed in the principles of Christianity. How much money is the Church worth? They have to protect their cash!

I thought the documentary was balanced and was empathetic towards the victims of abuse and indeed towards those clergy who have all been tarred with the same brush.
Will anything come from it is the big question. I'd like to see a public enquiry against the church with those individuals responsible being held to account in the courts.

Lets just say I'm in no way inclined to return to mass any time soon nor to expose my children to that mindset. It's difficult because I still want them to be brought up as Catholic and receive their sacraments but on the other hand I feel that by doing so is in some way condoning the behaviour of the church.

From the Bunker

The Church is now a sorry group of tired old men. There is no energy to cope with the backlash of their total dominance and oppression of Irish Society since the begining of the twentieth Centuary. Most are just wading out their time hoping that these sorry episodes will pass over and fade. The biggest thing in their favour is that most Bishops and Cardinals are old men when they take up their station. Which means that most involved in these scandals are dead and there is no one to chase!

EC Unique

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 02, 2012, 10:00:56 AM

The Catholic Church was such a powerful organisation I think they felt like they had the right to do what they wanted and any sign of weakness or wrong doing was hidden away by second nature so as to preserve the "image" of infallibility.
The entire organisation of the Church is corrupt top to bottom if you ask me, and Brady is simply a small part in a big machine. IMO, he's completely in the wrong. I think that show last night showed that not only was he in a position to help put a stop to this monster and failed to do anything, but he has continually lied in public about his role.
In politics, he'd be hung out to dry. But the church being the church he'll probably be allowed to continue and there'll be a statement of no wrong doing on their behalf.
Their statement about their being no guidelines I think is purely protecting themselves from any sort of legal action as in their eyes they didn't break any law.

But it's total bullshit.

It's becoming clearer and clearer that the Catholic Church is more interested in its own survival and public image than it is in the well being of it's members or indeed in the principles of Christianity. How much money is the Church worth? They have to protect their cash!

I thought the documentary was balanced and was empathetic towards the victims of abuse and indeed towards those clergy who have all been tarred with the same brush.
Will anything come from it is the big question. I'd like to see a public enquiry against the church with those individuals responsible being held to account in the courts.

Lets just say I'm in no way inclined to return to mass any time soon nor to expose my children to that mindset. It's difficult because I still want them to be brought up as Catholic and receive their sacraments but on the other hand I feel that by doing so is in some way condoning the behaviour of the church.

You have to think of the Church and your religion as 2 different things. I still go to mass for me, not the priest or the church.

Main Street

Quote from: orangeman on April 27, 2012, 09:55:15 AM
Quote from: Ulick on April 27, 2012, 12:11:22 AM
Quote from: orangeman on April 26, 2012, 11:40:46 PM
Amazing how perverted some lads were all down the years whilst still claiming to be priests.

Even more amazing was the silence from the seats of power in Armagh and Rome ( they ignored the enquiries requests for information from Irish authorities ) whilst all the while they knew exactly what was going on, lads were simply moved around so that more innocent children could become victims, and when the abuse came to light, they were simply moved on again and again.

How dare Brian Darcy speak out !. It's reassuring that all of a sudden Rome and the bishops in Ireland are now able to listen and do something about such a bad man as Brian Darcy and the other bad priests who have the temerity to raise their heads above the parapet.

Better late than never.

What makes you think Darcy is being reprimanded over the sex abuse abuse scandals and not his frequent deviations from Catholic dogma in his weekly columns?

I didn't make that claim. Merely pointing out that Rome ( and you can include Armagh here too ) can speak out loudly, can take decisive action but only when it suits. For all other times, there's silence, denial, relocation packages etc.
That's the impression I get,  Rome takes decisive censorious action against a priest with access to media, is charged with deviating from dogma,
reportedly deviating from dogma on such issues as  'how the Vatican dealt with the issue of women priests; why US Catholics were leaving the church; why the church had to take responsibility for clerical child sex abuse; and homosexuality'.
Yet pedophiles were protected 'in house' for decades and the further abuse of children by those same pedophiles was facilitated by that Church hierarchy.

I haven't read anything by Darcy nor am I even curious to do so.

Jim_Murphy_74

I listened to Alan Shatter this morning talk about legislation coming with regard to with-holding information.   I guess that implies that there isn't legislation stating that with-holding information is a crime.   Equally making someone sign an oath of secrecy seems like an effort to interfere with the law.  These strike me as strange but I don't know the law

However at the very least one must question the judgement of Brady and anyone else involved in this court.   Surely to God, haven taken this evidence someone would have the gumption to make some provision to warn the parents of the kids in danger.  I don't think saying "it was not in my role description" is adequate moral defence here.  I really don't see his position as Primate as tenable anymore. 

/Jim.

johnneycool

Quote from: EC Unique on May 02, 2012, 10:13:51 AM

But it's total bullshit.

You have to think of the Church and your religion as 2 different things. I still go to mass for me, not the priest or the church.

Valid point, but it can be a bit galling to be told how to live a good life by a bunch of hypocrites.

IMO you don't need to darken the door of the most holy roman catholic church or any other organized religion to have religious faith in a god.

tbrick18

Quote from: EC Unique on May 02, 2012, 10:13:51 AM

But it's total bullshit.

That's what I am doing....the actual institution of Mass is a Church based ritual developed by the Catholic Church and I feel that participating in Mass is validating the behaviour of the church as a whole. Perhaps it is just me, but find it difficult to agree with what the Church say on one hand and disagree on the other. Church and Religion are one and the same are they not? Is it not Faith that is important?
I've recently found out that where I live there is an interfaith church. A lot of people from mixed marriages would attend. Seriously considering going down that route.

EC Unique

I see religion and the church as very different things. To me it is the church that is warped and steeped in this mess, religion does not belong to the church. My religion belongs to me.

orangeman

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 01, 2012, 11:32:48 PM
Don't think he'll be able to hang on after this.

The man has no shame.

He's hell bent on retaining his position and leading his flock.

He should go - and go now - or else the people should head over to Armagh and put him out of it.

He's not living on the same planet.

From the Bunker

Quote from: EC Unique on May 02, 2012, 10:47:42 AM
I see religion and the church as very different things. To me it is the church that is warped and steeped in this mess, religion does not belong to the church. My religion belongs to me.

Spot on!