Tir Eoghain v Dún na nGall - NFL Roinn 1 Babhta 3 - Dé Domhnaigh 3rd Márta 2pm

Started by ziggysego, February 13, 2013, 05:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakleafgael

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 04, 2013, 11:50:16 PM
With regards to the alleged incident on Lacey, ever since the covered stand opened up at Healy Park about a decade ago, it has become a spot especially during home NFL matches (which won't be all-ticket) for the less "respectable" end of Tyrone supporters to gather into, in particular areas around the centre and a neighbouring near end of the stand by the Gortin Road turnstiles. It goes back several years, the incident of where the cheering from the home support when Mark Harte was getting subbed in a home NFL match against Mayo springs to mind. Unless the weather is absolutely bucketing down, personally I prefer to go to watch on the terraces instead for most games at Healy.

If the offending "supporter" is identified, they should be banned from ever entering Healy Park again. If they were caught gobbing at someone in the street, there's a good chance they'd be up for assault.

Fionn,

I think you have hit the nail on the head. I took my 5 year old daughter and her 9 year old cousin to the match on Sunday, it was the first time taking them. I moved us all from the stand after about 15 mins of the first half due to the behaviour of those around us and they were far from youngsters. There is a large proportion of the Tyrone support who have no club links and that is part of the problem when added to the usual headcases.

Redhand Santa

We seem to have our fair share of them but there is lunatics in every county. I don't buy this non club thing being the problem though. Anyone who follows club football will realise there's plenty of twisting that goes on at the games - if anything its much worse than the county games. Tyrone also has a very large club membership and I'd say the majority of Tyrone fans there on Sunday were associated with clubs. I'd hazard a guess that whoever did spit was associated with a club too. Can anyone confirm?

I didn't notice any problems in the stand at all the other day. I'm sure there was a bit of shouting like you'd get at any game but nothing serious. The booing of Murphy was regrettable but wasn't a huge incident either. I would sit in the stand for all the games and have never seen any spitting or fighting. From time to time there's the odd mouth but think that would be the same in every county.

ONeill

Quote from: trileacman on March 05, 2013, 09:37:42 PM
Watched Harte play all the way through from underage and he is not a centre half back, too poor a defender to be be one for a start and it seriously curbs his attacking play which is fantastic.

Since when did a defender have to defend.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

EC Unique

Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 05, 2013, 07:34:09 PM
I actually don't think I'd play Harte Centre half back. Would be more inclined to play him left or right half back. Not sure he has the physical presence for centre half back. Also I'd prefer the centre half back to hold his position and not contstantly bomb forward. And I think this would take away considerably from Harte's game. Mattie Donnelly effectively operated at centre half back for a lot of the game on Sunday and was impressive. It allowed Joe McMahon a bit more freedom which suits his game.

Have you seen him up close this last year or so? He is as physical as anyone on the Tyrone squad. Ask any player that tries to stop his runs.. Very strong lad.

Redhand Santa

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/martin-breheny-tyrone-and-donegals-poisonous-battle-sums-up-need-for-change-29111864.html

Talk about focusing on the negatives. I would agree there was cynical play which needs to be stamped out - particularly fouling to break up counter attacks (Donegal employed this tactic continually v Tyrone in the championship last year). But it was a lot better than most league games at this time of year. And for all his talk that the teams were intent on stopping each other there was still 26 scores on Sunday. These included a number of excellent long range points and some great team moves. There was also some great examples of defending and some decent high fielding. No other sport is subject to such one sided coverage. And I do think the teams locations has a part to play in it.

Fuzzman

EC where do you think is Petey's best position?
Where would he rather play himself? Did he line out at FF a few times for ye?

I heard a few lads saying that McGee was punching Stevie off the ball all day trying to get a reaction.
Did anyone else see that?

Nally Stand

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 06, 2013, 11:51:29 AM

I heard a few lads saying that McGee was punching Stevie off the ball all day trying to get a reaction.

Constantly clipping, pulling, elbowing, dragging, mouthing etc at O'Neill, right up to (and after) the final whistle. Neil Gallagher was almost as bad, but at least he (eventually) got lined.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

nrico2006

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 06, 2013, 01:35:07 PM

Constantly clipping, pulling, elbowing, dragging, mouthing etc at O'Neill, right up to (and after) the final whistle. Neil Gallagher was almost as bad, but at least he (eventually) got lined.

Gallagher acted the gypsy pulling Morgan from behind by the jersey, useless big hoore.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

EC Unique

He was very effective for us last year at number 6. That is fine at club level I'm not sure at county. FF is not his position IMO as one of his best qualities is running at teams with the ball. I actually would like to see him tried at midfield as he can attack and defend when required, he is physical enough and has a fantastic engine.

Fuzzman

Are the umpires now wired up the ref now or just the linesmen?
Why at this level do these incidents not get brought to the refs attention. It just adds to the frustration and then usually the forward starts to do the same back. Quite often its only then that the umpires or ref does something and books the two of them.

I've actually noticed Stevie this year seems to have a bit more mettle and can give as good as he's getting with a bit more cuteness in how not to get caught. I really would love to see umpires and linesmen deal with this behaviour much more and less of this shite "Ah its part and parcel of the game" RUBBISH.

Don't worry lads from other counties. I know you'll say its rich us poor Tyronies complaining as we do our fair share of it but I'm only saying I'd like to see it reported more and those be punished rather than just accepting it.

The other thing that a lot of fans seem to never contemplate is how they represent their county outside of it. I've heard from several men from different counties about the spitting incident and how we're a disgrace. To some fans this is not a big deal and sure look at their tactics on the pitch but unless we all make this behaviour totally unaccepted by one and all then it will continue to happen.

I'd love to see our county board put something in place where we can identify similar situations and get these individuals punished in some way. Of course every county has it's fair share of assholes but we in Tyrone are definitely up there with the worst of them.
I know its not a topic we like to bring up again but do we just continue to brush it under the carpet again and hope it doesn't rise again.
The bad feeling between Donegal & Tyrone is definitely growing and as a lot of Tyrone people go to Donegal for weekend nightclubs etc it could get much worse over the years to come.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: EC Unique on March 06, 2013, 12:02:38 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on March 05, 2013, 07:34:09 PM
I actually don't think I'd play Harte Centre half back. Would be more inclined to play him left or right half back. Not sure he has the physical presence for centre half back. Also I'd prefer the centre half back to hold his position and not contstantly bomb forward. And I think this would take away considerably from Harte's game. Mattie Donnelly effectively operated at centre half back for a lot of the game on Sunday and was impressive. It allowed Joe McMahon a bit more freedom which suits his game.

Have you seen him up close this last year or so? He is as physical as anyone on the Tyrone squad. Ask any player that tries to stop his runs.. Very strong lad.

Yeah I apprciate he filled out and is strong. But just don't think he's as physically imposing as the McMahons for example. I also just think his game would be better suited to the wing and he could be a good driving force from there.

J70

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 06, 2013, 02:09:08 PM

Gallagher acted the gypsy pulling Morgan from behind by the jersey, useless big hoore.

Morgan acted the gypsy first, hurling the ball into the back of Wherity's head after the penalty award and then running after Murphy goading him.

Personally, I find what McGee is alleged to have done distasteful, but other teams did this for years while Donegal stood about. Brendan Devenney used to complain constantly about the abuse from certain corner backs in Ulster, but, on here anyway, all he would get was abuse and advice to "man up", for lack of a better word. If the GAA wants to clean this shit up, great, but I'd rather not see my team disadvantaged in the meantime.

J70

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 06, 2013, 03:27:57 PM

Why at this level do these incidents not get brought to the refs attention. It just adds to the frustration and then usually the forward starts to do the same back. Quite often its only then that the umpires or ref does something and books the two of them.

I've actually noticed Stevie this year seems to have a bit more mettle and can give as good as he's getting with a bit more cuteness in how not to get caught. I really would love to see umpires and linesmen deal with this behaviour much more and less of this shite "Ah its part and parcel of the game" RUBBISH.

Don't worry lads from other counties. I know you'll say its rich us poor Tyronies complaining as we do our fair share of it but I'm only saying I'd like to see it reported more and those be punished rather than just accepting it.

The other thing that a lot of fans seem to never contemplate is how they represent their county outside of it. I've heard from several men from different counties about the spitting incident and how we're a disgrace. To some fans this is not a big deal and sure look at their tactics on the pitch but unless we all make this behaviour totally unaccepted by one and all then it will continue to happen.

I'd love to see our county board put something in place where we can identify similar situations and get these individuals punished in some way. Of course every county has it's fair share of assholes but we in Tyrone are definitely up there with the worst of them.
I know its not a topic we like to bring up again but do we just continue to brush it under the carpet again and hope it doesn't rise again.
The bad feeling between Donegal & Tyrone is definitely growing and as a lot of Tyrone people go to Donegal for weekend nightclubs etc it could get much worse over the years to come.

Good post.

Wasn't aware of any bad feeling between our counties! Haven't been home in a few years however!

EC Unique

Quote from: J70 on March 06, 2013, 08:19:04 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on March 06, 2013, 03:27:57 PM

Good post.

Wasn't aware of any bad feeling between our counties! Haven't been home in a few years however!

I live here in Tyrone and was not aware of it! Does not exist IMO. Local rivals yes but no more than any other county..

J70

Yeah, I'd be surprised.

I'm sure there'll be the odd bit of aggro between drunken lads on Saturday night in The Abbey in Donegal Town, and plenty of inflamed passions during games, but that's to be expected.