Tir Eoghain v Dún na nGall - NFL Roinn 1 Babhta 3 - Dé Domhnaigh 3rd Márta 2pm

Started by ziggysego, February 13, 2013, 05:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BluestackBoy

Quote from: cadhlancian on March 04, 2013, 04:06:51 AM
Quote from: ck on March 03, 2013, 11:34:54 PM
Any truth in the rumour that Tyrone fans spat on Karl Lacey today in the stand?
If so it's appalling. Tyrone fans (club and county) are developing a poor rep over recent years.
jesus Christ!! Gobshites like you are what destroys this f**king board! Asking if anybody heard  a " rumour" about something ridiculous like that. Then you judge Tyrone as a whole on something that is more than likely a pile of shite. Wise up FFS!!! Rant over!

It's a lot more than a rumour. Tyrone themselves have admitted that it happened & Mickey Harte & the Tyrone chairman have apologised to Donegal for it.

I was at the game yesterday on the terrace opposite the stand. We had a great time with good humoured banter between both sets of supporters. However it was evident that there was a section of people especially in the stand who were venemous, especially when Murphy was sent off. I have been going to county games for over 40 years & I have to say that when it comes to Tyrone games I try to find a part of the ground that is sparsely populated so that I can enjoy the game with my family.

I am by no means tarring all supporters with this brush, but there is a significant number of them who become almost unhinged at games & it can be very intimidating especially for children.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: BluestackBoy on March 04, 2013, 10:23:14 AM
If so it's appalling. Tyrone fans (club and county) are developing a poor rep over recent years.
jesus Christ!! Gobshites like you are what destroys this f**king board! Asking if anybody heard  a " rumour" about something ridiculous like that. Then you judge Tyrone as a whole on something that is more than likely a pile of shite. Wise up FFS!!! Rant over!

It's a lot more than a rumour. Tyrone themselves have admitted that it happened & Mickey Harte & the Tyrone chairman have apologised to Donegal for it.

It wasn't fans, but it was a 'fan' apparently -- indefensible, and such an individual has no place being in a GAA ground.  That'll be his last game, with a bit of luck.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

rrhf

I know you are not.  For years I remember I gave out about the Mc Kenna cup final in Ballybofey 2004 and the abuse that was meted out to the then All Ireland winners - the Tyrone players from the crowd before the game even started was as bad as I have ever seen.  Everyone is responsible for their behaviour as GAA members and there should be a code of conduct among GAA members.   My feeling is that we should have more volunteer (off duty) stewards trained up who at least deal in groups with in crowd annoyances.  There was a guy beside me started to boo Michael Murphy when he was sent off, in his 40s yesterday. From his accent he was North or West of the county.   I asked him what age was he and to catch himself on.  When he answered with a smart arsed reply, I asked him his club.  He told me it was none of my business, and I said that I didnt think he belonged to any club as he certainly didnt act like a man representing his club.  He did go quiet  for the rest of the game. But we could do with curbing the general bad manners coming from the stands on all sides.  The crowds should be respecting the efforts of the players more.  I wasnt in Killarney last year but my all accounts it was rough treading for the visiting supporters.  Time to recognise that each county is as guilty as the next and to cut it out.     

ck

Quote from: rrhf on March 04, 2013, 10:46:18 AM
I know you are not.  For years I remember I gave out about the Mc Kenna cup final in Ballybofey 2004 and the abuse that was meted out to the then All Ireland winners - the Tyrone players from the crowd before the game even started was as bad as I have ever seen.  Everyone is responsible for their behaviour as GAA members and there should be a code of conduct among GAA members.   My feeling is that we should have more volunteer (off duty) stewards trained up who at least deal in groups with in crowd annoyances.  There was a guy beside me started to boo Michael Murphy when he was sent off, in his 40s yesterday. From his accent he was North or West of the county.   I asked him what age was he and to catch himself on.  When he answered with a smart arsed reply, I asked him his club.  He told me it was none of my business, and I said that I didnt think he belonged to any club as he certainly didnt act like a man representing his club.  He did go quiet  for the rest of the game. But we could do with curbing the general bad manners coming from the stands on all sides.  The crowds should be respecting the efforts of the players more.  I wasnt in Killarney last year but my all accounts it was rough treading for the visiting supporters.  Time to recognise that each county is as guilty as the next and to cut it out.   

+1
Every county has its share and they should be silenced by the majority. No place for this in any gaa sport. Fans mixing freely is a great feature of our games and should be protected at all costs.

ck

Ps: I'll accept an apology, in your own time

Fuzzman

I watched the game on TG4 from home yesterday and enjoyed it, even though I knew it wasn't attractive open football. I suppose we've come to expect these kind of defensive battles now between these two teams who are both well capable of opening up play but choose to go down the more cagey defensive road in case they lose.

Psychologically I think it was important that Tyrone won, as Donegal have won the last 4 meetings and so if we didn't beat them at home with our extra fitness work done then it would leave a lot of questions how can we beat them in May when its a more level playing field.
Saying that it was pretty obvious Donegal weren't just there to make up the numbers and Michael Murphy showed us again that he is definitely the strongest and probably best forward in Ireland at the moment. The problem for McGuinness though is where to play him. The experiment to move him out from FF and away from Clarke I think was a big mistake as Tyrone always struggle to win ball around the middle third. His point from out on the right wing was sublime as he turned Clarke inside out.
As is the last 2 championship games between these two it looked like Tyrone would do all the hard work in the first half and look like the better team but in fact Donegal would be right with them and had they scored the penalty they could have went in leading.
However, it definitely was a turning point and it was a huge loss for Donegal to not score the goal and to lose their talisman and probably man of the match had he stayed on. Who knows?

Anyway, Tyrone pushed on well in the 2nd half and scored some magnificent long range points like from Cavanagh, Joey & one in the 1st half from McNamee as he did last week.

Stevie & Cavanagh look to be leading the line well and showing a lot of hard graft and their usual level of skill. Its good for Stevie to be back getting regular 1-3's etc and to have options to lay it off or shoot himself. Its not so one dimensional any more.
So all in all I think we have done very well in kicking on with the transition period and it hasn't gone unnoticed with some of the pundits like McStay and Co. It would be nice to get to a league semi so early for a lot of these players but we've got Cork next and then a tough trip to Croker.

Regarding the fans. I think when fans from counties who put a lot of effort into their football, become very passionate about their team. So for Donegal fans now they more than likely see this as being their years of power. They've won two back to back Ulsters and one Sam and so rightfully they are up there at the top table. However, as we from Tyrone no too well, you're their to be knocked down and ye get a very frosty welcome from most counties who think they can beat you.
So whilst maybe Antrim or Louth might not be so vociferous you can expect neighbouring counties like Tyrone & Derry, then Dublin, Kerry and now ye can probably add Cork & Kildare to that list who will not seem as welcoming as other years when they met ye.
Mix in alcohol and young lads acting the maggot and you soon get a rich collection of language which can give your county a bad name.

Jinxy

Big difference between lads 'booing' and arguing with other fans in the stand and somebody being spat at.
Things seem to escalate very quickly at Tyrone club/county games.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Jinxy on March 04, 2013, 10:59:21 AM
Big difference between lads 'booing' and arguing with other fans in the stand and somebody being spat at.

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Fuzzman

Good man Jinxy. http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz162/robstenlove/HEA%20Blog%20Posts/TedKing1.png
Have you got some sort of keyword or phrase sensors set up to alert you when it time to have another pop at us.  ;D

Well done RRHF for putting yer man in his place. I've not the biggest of guys but I've done something similar myself one day and I'd hope that lad who spat on Lacey was spoken to by somebody or at least identified. If we stand idly by and don't get involved then you're not doing your bit for your county or club. If these lads knew that the could be turned on by their own then they'd be a bit slower to do stuff. Part of it is that they get a positive reaction from those around them and so they love being popular then.

I think with the new rivalry that is being built up between Donegal and Tyrone it is inevitable there will be some jealousy and bad feelings between fans and players. Even Sean Cavanagh admits himself he doesn't like watching local rivals winning.
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2013/0302/1224330697407.html

trileacman

Quote from: Jinxy on March 04, 2013, 10:59:21 AM

What year was that Dublin/Meath league match where missiles were thrown from the crowd at the Dublin players leaving the field? You've a quare short memory my friend.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Moortown Spuds

My ma was at the game, said it will be her last. She was embarassed by some of the trampy mouthing going on in the stand. Tyrone support has become more and more non club people and usually you will find the loudest at the Tyrone games are the one who wouldn't and thankfully will never enter their club grounds. Same ones then yapp on here about how they can't get tickets, have been all year (ticketmaster) and hate the bandwagon supporter.

J70

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 04, 2013, 09:21:09 AM
Quote from: J70 on March 03, 2013, 06:31:53 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on March 03, 2013, 04:46:49 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 03, 2013, 04:29:28 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on March 03, 2013, 04:26:21 PM
Good win for Tyrone. The sending off took the sting out of the game but Tyrone looked the sharper team anyway. It will be some game in the championship. I suspect Tyrone will have too much for  Donegal if all the panel remain fit. They would have had too much last year if all were fit as well.

By that logic, Tyrone would have been AI champions last year then, given that everyone else they met couldn't match Donegal. A ten point plus turnaround in Tyrone's result against Kerry too.

Weren't you one of the boys giving the Mayo lads abuse the other week for unfounded arrogance?

As far as I remember it was 2 points last year. In my opinion the players that were missing would have been worth 2 points on the day. Donegal grew with every game and won the all Ireland. I don't think Tyrone could have pushed on like Donegal did.

Fair enough, but would they have made the difference when Tyrone were held scoreless for 35 minutes? Sean Cavanagh played in 2011 and Tyrone still didn't win (and were similarly starved for scores for very long stretchs, losing a five point lead).

Anyway, we can all point to this or that in close games over the years, whether its refereeing decisions or missing players or bad misses or whatever. We were poor today, but had the referee given the second penalty as he should and we scored it, who knows what might have happened?

What second penalty?  I didn't see anything that should have been given as a penalty that wasn't.

As for Tyrone, decent result and considering the number of young players on the team things are progressing well.  Still a lot of talent to come into the team via the like of Coney, Colm Cavanagh, McNabb and Ronan O'Neill.  Cassidy looked very laboured when he comeon yesterday too, surprised he got on given his only recent return to the panel.  What about SONs cross field ball for the goal chance yesterday, unreal.

Ross Wherity was pushed when in close on goal and right as he was about to shoot midway through the second half. Definite foul, as a few of your fellow supporters have acknowledged. I doubt anyone from Donegal will lose any sleep over it, but a penalty should have been awarded.

AQMP

Fuzzman was going well there until his/her gratuitous insult of Antrim (and Louth) supporters.  Believe me, despair is a form of passion. 

I've posted along these lines before but in my 35+ years of GAA watching and playing the best times were spent wth Tyrone people and the worst times were spent with Tyrone people.  In 2003 I had my enjoyment of an otherwise good day out and half decent game at Casement Pk spoiled by Tyrone fans in front of me, however in 2008 I enjoyed a couple of hours after the AI final in James Gill's with Tyrone and Kerry fans with the three Kerry boys (from Waterville if I remember rightly) being very magnanimous in defeat and the Tyrone boys equally dignified in victory. 

Is this a long winded way of saying every county has them!?!?

J70

Its amazing how some eejits lose the head at these games. The worst I've seen was the moron from Derry who hurled a bottle from up near the back of the Hogan Stand down towards the pitch (or perhaps the lower stand crowd). This was at one of the mid-90s league finals between Derry and Donegal. Unluckily for him, a load of people stood up and pointed him out to the Gardai and he was dragged out. The worst part was that this was no young, immature sc**bag without the sense to know better; this lad had a full greying beard and looked to be in his late 40s or early 50s!