Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delgany

There are a variety of reasons why clubs look for  outside managers.
1. They have no suitable candidates within the club - it's a big step up from under age to senior club football and takes a lot of planning and prep time .
2. They could have an up and coming young squad that could improve the clubs status in the parish by incremental improvement and focusing their capabilities.
3. It should be a long term investment in the club by improving standards .

If a club had that capability within their membership , it's clearly a positive.

delgany

Quote from: hardstation on May 01, 2020, 03:33:19 PM
Waffle. In summary, pay money to get a better manager.

As I say, would you be happy to extend that to players?

You cant apply your reasons to every club in the county. Each one has a variety of circumstances.

Clubs are generally restricted to the players in their parish,  so  u cant  really extend that to players - they should strive to play for their clubs and they generally pay the club fof the pleasure  via their membership .

Milltown Row2

Think dealing with one issue at a time is what's needed.

So in summary (for me) the club should not be paying for any manager unless it's travel expenses
Should a clubman want to pay for it with his own money then the club isn't losing out, I'm fine with that.

Players coming in from outside (lads from other counties) because they've been 'bought', not in favour but have seen players get jobs as sweeteners in the past, in most clubs in Belfast back in the day, don't think it's as much now tbf.

Some clubs just don't have the experience ex players to coach/manage a senior team, and until they do they might just go outside.

Some clubs are really successful with outside managers rather than home managers and that's been proven on quite a few occasions recently
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on May 01, 2020, 05:29:58 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2020, 05:06:50 PM
Think dealing with one issue at a time is what's needed.

So in summary (for me) the club should not be paying for any manager unless it's travel expenses
Should a clubman want to pay for it with his own money then the club isn't losing out, I'm fine with that.

Players coming in from outside (lads from other counties) because they've been 'bought', not in favour but have seen players get jobs as sweeteners in the past, in most clubs in Belfast back in the day, don't think it's as much now tbf.

Some clubs just don't have the experience ex players to coach/manage a senior team, and until they do they might just go outside.

Some clubs are really successful with outside managers rather than home managers and that's been proven on quite a few occasions recently
So it is ok to forego the founding principles of the association in order to achieve success or to make a quick buck?
For managers anyway but not for players.

I see.

As long as the club is not paying, me personally I've no issues with it

Who's making a quick buck? Have you ever managed a senior team? There's nothing quick about it, I'd say it's worse than refereeing, I've done both I know which had less hassle.

Again for players being 'paid' you'd have to be a fool to think that it hasn't went on or won't continue, is it right? no, but if someone is willing to pay for it more fool him, just as long as the club isn't.

As for forgoing the founding principles of the association, I haven't, I've never paid nor set on a committee that has agreed to it.

I'm only debating, what's your way of fixing the current problems and what's Crokes way of dealing with it?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

delgany

Quote from: hardstation on May 01, 2020, 05:24:16 PM
Quote from: delgany on May 01, 2020, 04:38:46 PM

You cant apply your reasons to every club in the county. Each one has a variety of circumstances.

Clubs are generally restricted to the players in their parish,  so  u cant  really extend that to players - they should strive to play for their clubs and they generally pay the club fof the pleasure  via their membership .
Leaving aside the practicality of paying players to come in, are you in favour in principle?

I wouldnt accept a player  getting paid to play for his club.
But I accept the fact that some clubs have to  look outside their club for a manager who expects to be compensated for his time.
Ideally, ever club should be self sufficient in this regard,  but every club is at a different stage of coaching development, despite the on going  coaching programmes.

Milltown Row2

Close the loophole then.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on May 01, 2020, 06:00:29 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2020, 05:58:47 PM
Close the loophole then.
How do you do that? It's almost impossible while people deem it acceptable behaviour.

Does Croke Park accept it?

If they come down on these actions how long will it be allowed to continue?

If managers have to be ex players and paid members of a club that's one way.

delgany

Quote from: hardstation on May 01, 2020, 05:54:25 PM
Quote from: delgany on May 01, 2020, 05:44:25 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 01, 2020, 05:24:16 PM
Quote from: delgany on May 01, 2020, 04:38:46 PM

Leaving aside the practicality of paying players to come in, are you in favour in principle?

I wouldnt accept a player  getting paid to play for his club.
But I accept the fact that some clubs have to  look outside their club for a manager who expects to be compensated for his time.
Ideally, ever club should be self sufficient in this regard,  but every club is at a different stage of coaching development, despite the on going  coaching programmes.
Every club is in a different stage of their development in many regards. Some clubs have a better half back line than others, that doesn't mean clubs should be looking to outside players to strengthen it. You play the best hand you're dealt. Breaking the rules undermining the ethos of the association through underhanded payments shouldn't be the go to option.

With good coaching from your manager , youd expect a player to improve , so long as the coach knows what they are doing and that is the conundrum for many clubs . A good coaching system takes time to evolve and improve.

I have no interest  in players being head- hunted.

Na Glinntí Glasa

i look at Creggan to show why it doesnt work. For the record ive nothing against Creggan club, in fact they have made good strides to promote all 3 codes within themselves.

But, and there's always a but, they have thrown money (or an outside source has - i cant obviously confirm this) on outside men to come in and take their senior football team to try and bring success. It hasnt other than a few league titles which count for nothing imo.

For me personally i see that as an utter waste of time and money, time and money that would of been better vested into coaching and improving  the existing structures within the club itself. Obviously there will be people who disagree and thing its a good idea and that the right person wasnt there within the club to take the job on but ive yet to see a manager win a football or hurling championship for a club.

Its the lads and girls who have come through the underage set up with the help of coaches and managers that got them to that point. those people helped them get there and its those people you invest in so that they dont feel like its a waste of time or they are unappreciated for doing it all for free.

I was approached a few seasons back to take a senior camogie team in Derry. It was paid work but i turned it down to take on something else in my club for free at underage. Its your own club, its what your brought up supporting and playing for and money cant compare to it.
hurl like f**k boi!

Belfast GAA man

Quote from: Dunloy realist on May 01, 2020, 06:25:22 PM
i look at Creggan to show why it doesnt work. For the record ive nothing against Creggan club, in fact they have made good strides to promote all 3 codes within themselves.

But, and there's always a but, they have thrown money (or an outside source has - i cant obviously confirm this) on outside men to come in and take their senior football team to try and bring success. It hasnt other than a few league titles which count for nothing imo.

For me personally i see that as an utter waste of time and money, time and money that would of been better vested into coaching and improving  the existing structures within the club itself. Obviously there will be people who disagree and thing its a good idea and that the right person wasnt there within the club to take the job on but ive yet to see a manager win a football or hurling championship for a club.

Its the lads and girls who have come through the underage set up with the help of coaches and managers that got them to that point. those people helped them get there and its those people you invest in so that they dont feel like its a waste of time or they are unappreciated for doing it all for free.

I was approached a few seasons back to take a senior camogie team in Derry. It was paid work but i turned it down to take on something else in my club for free at underage. Its your own club, its what your brought up supporting and playing for and money cant compare to it.
Agree with your take on this and Now Creggan are in the habit of doing it its then hard to stop. Great club Naomh Eanna is in many ways, they Too seem to making same mistake and will find hard to turn back to their own having sent the message out that their coaches arent up to scratch. Like you have to back an inexperienced player and be Patient you should do the same with a manager

bannside

Different subject altogether...but wasnt that a superb evenings entertainment last night by the Mc Curry family that was streamed live during the lockdown to provide funds for a most worthy cause. Big shout out to Sean Kelly one more time and to Big Martin Mc Carry the county IT officer. Still 600 online viewing at 1am and a good few thousand pounds raised in the night.

Would any other county have a PR set up like ours??

MoChara

Quote from: bannside on May 03, 2020, 11:41:39 PM
Different subject altogether...but wasnt that a superb evenings entertainment last night by the Mc Curry family that was streamed live during the lockdown to provide funds for a most worthy cause. Big shout out to Sean Kelly one more time and to Big Martin Mc Carry the county IT officer. Still 600 online viewing at 1am and a good few thousand pounds raised in the night.

Would any other county have a PR set up like ours??

Fair play to them near 20k raised since lock down I think I saw, great work

Belfast GAA man

Ans a wee bit of hope of a proper club season from recent Irish govt statements :)

Belfast GAA man

Good To see GAA president on sunday Game last night commit to not leaving the 6 counties out if the law is different to the 26 counties about playing sport - I'd say there are plenty who would sell us out to get a championShip played.

He seemed to be saying National League would not be finished which is hard on us

BigBallWeeBall

Strange week in GAA circles.
John Horan saying unlikely to be matches this year, Sir Lord Cavanagh OBE with a forelock touch, CPA poll with small majority of players willing to return to playing and training this year, Cork Jonty superfan passing away,  massive potential black hole in GAA finances. 
Any good news out there in Antrim.... excluding senior managers on 80% furlough, committee's taking teams and physios back working in NHS.. Lol