Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

BTW fair play to whoever put up the notice on the screen in Croke Park today.

We might give out about it, but there is absolutely nothing like the GAA.
MWWSI 2017

StGallsGAA

mouview

Great character. Why was Minder so popular? Inter-play between the two stars? Was it because they were soldiers of fortune, freewheeling about London, whereas everyone else seemed to have a staid 9-5 job? Really clicked with the public anyway...

snoopdog

Quote from: mouview on August 06, 2015, 02:06:43 PM
Great character. Why was Minder so popular? Inter-play between the two stars? Was it because they were soldiers of fortune, freewheeling about London, whereas everyone else seemed to have a staid 9-5 job? Really clicked with the public anyway...
Minder was a great programme.

Hardy

For me, it's the writing and the acting/perfect casting of Cole. Apparently the series was intended as a vehicle for Waterman, following the success of The Sweeney. And they wanted Denholm Elliott to play Arfur. Waterman can't have been too pleased that Cole became the star instead of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01dXHywMMyE

Canalman

Quote from: Hardy on August 06, 2015, 02:32:17 PM
For me, it's the writing and the acting/perfect casting of Cole. Apparently the series was intended as a vehicle for Waterman, following the success of The Sweeney. And they wanted Denholm Elliott to play Arfur. Waterman can't have been too pleased that Cole became the star instead of him.

Also read a while back that the barman character played by Glyn Edwards was originally meant to be a nothing character but the actor himself and gentle nature of character charmed viewers into making sure he got a bigger part in the series.

For some reason I keep remembering the episode where Dave went missing only to surface some days later having been arrested at a Chelsea away game in Europe.

Top show I  agree.

Saw a great TG4 docu on Ray MacAnally the actor last night . excellent with even deNiro interviewed.

Tony Baloney

Great programme. Another of those roles you can't imagine ever being played by another actor.

Gaffer

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 06, 2015, 10:48:05 PM
Great programme. Another of those roles you can't imagine ever being played by another actor.

Brilliant series indeed.

Tel was cast as being the hardest of the hardest in the whole of London.

You had to pay Arfur big money to hire him.

FFS. In reality Terry was no Mike Tyson but you were convinced  that no one could take him in a scrap!!!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

armaghniac

Quote from: Canalman on August 06, 2015, 05:56:22 PM

Also read a while back that the barman character played by Glyn Edwards was originally meant to be a nothing character but the actor himself and gentle nature of character charmed viewers into making sure he got a bigger part in the series.

For some reason I keep remembering the episode where Dave went missing only to surface some days later having been arrested at a Chelsea away game in Europe.

For a certain generation, you'd refer to any dodgy dealer as an Arthur Daley like character.
I see that the original producer of Minder was the lady who started Dr Who.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

whitey

Quote from: Gaffer on August 07, 2015, 12:04:08 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 06, 2015, 10:48:05 PM

Brilliant series indeed.

Tel was cast as being the hardest of the hardest in the whole of London.

You had to pay Arfur big money to hire him.

FFS. In reality Terry was no Mike Tyson but you were convinced  that no one could take him in a scrap!!!!

I dont know, Id say Yozzer Hughes would have given him a run for his money

BennyHarp

That was never a square ball!!

deiseach

There's no question it was a vehicle for Waterman. I remember, in my youthful naivety, watching it and pondering on why Waterman was more prominent in the endless - God be with the good ol days when the credits for The Bill went on for over a minute, thus allowing the beat walk to vanish off screen - titles than Cole. Surely Arfur was the star? In fairness to Waterman though, he was gushing in his praise for Cole yesterday. Oh, and Denholm Elliott would have been a completely different kind of brilliant in the role.

Gaffer

Neville Neville

Father of Gary and Phil
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

nrico2006

Quote from: Gaffer on August 07, 2015, 10:33:54 AM
Neville Neville

Father of Gary and Phil

Thought he had just suffered a heart attack and was in a critical condition.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'