Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: gallsman on December 15, 2014, 01:39:23 PM
Quote from: GJL on December 15, 2014, 12:29:56 PM
Quote from: deiseach on December 15, 2014, 12:21:18 PM
Quote from: GJL on December 15, 2014, 12:12:40 PM
Quote from: deiseach on December 15, 2014, 11:57:03 AM
There are lots of formats in motor racing, but the only one who can claim with a straight face to be the World Champion is the one in F1. Given the idiosyncrasies of the Sports Personality of the Year award - bias towards English winners and achievements towards the end of the year - it was a good show for McIlroy.

A few very good F1 drivers (one ex world Champion) have tried and failed in the WRC. Rallying is a much more demanding sport but does not have the ££$$$ and circus that F1 has.  Seb Loeb has more talent in his big toe that any F1 Driver.

I've seen much the same argument deployed in terms of rugby union v league. You can argue all you like about the superior technical ability of league players, but for all kinds of historic reasons - the ££$$$ and circus are a reflection of that - union is more significant than league. If you are a driver and you want to test yourself against the very best, F1 is the place to be.

I'm sorry but that is just wrong.

There is nothing glamorous about standing in the middle of a forest in the UK in November. Rallying may not be as sexy as F1 but the skill levels are way higher.

Kimi Raikkonen would be regarded as on of the best in F1 over the last 10 years. He jumped ship to WRC for a couple of years and got himself in the best machinery available at the time. Got his ass kicked and scampered back to the F1 track.

How have the corresponding rally drivers done in F1? Or Indy car? Or NASCAR?

would depend on whether they are in a good car or not

deiseach

Quote from: gallsman on December 15, 2014, 01:37:04 PM
That comes from an Irish perspective. Stand in Australia and League is far more significant.

Hurling is more significant in Waterford. But football is more significant overall.

deiseach

Quote from: mouview on December 15, 2014, 01:04:48 PM
GB/BBC loves it's F1 champs though, even 'Nige' was chosen as SPOTY one year despite only coming second in the C'ship.

Damon Hill followed the same pattern as Nige in his two wins. You could almost hear "Two World Wars and One World Cup" the first time round.

GJL

Quote from: JoG2 on December 15, 2014, 02:01:38 PM
There are lots of formats in motor racing, but the only one who can claim with a straight face to be the World Champion is the one in F1. Given the idiosyncrasies of the Sports Personality of the Year award - bias towards English winners and achievements towards the end of the year - it was a good show for McIlroy.

A few very good F1 drivers (one ex world Champion) have tried and failed in the WRC. Rallying is a much more demanding sport but does not have the ££$$$ and circus that F1 has.  Seb Loeb has more talent in his big toe that any F1 Driver.

I've seen much the same argument deployed in terms of rugby union v league. You can argue all you like about the superior technical ability of league players, but for all kinds of historic reasons - the ££$$$ and circus are a reflection of that - union is more significant than league. If you are a driver and you want to test yourself against the very best, F1 is the place to be.

There is nothing glamorous about standing in the middle of a forest in the UK in November. Rallying may not be as sexy as F1 but the skill levels are way higher.

Kimi Raikkonen would be regarded as on of the best in F1 over the last 10 years. He jumped ship to WRC for a couple of years and got himself in the best machinery available at the time. Got his ass kicked and scampered back to the F1 track.

Any that have done tests have put up very respectable times.

[urlhttp://www.crash.net/wrc/news/122256/1/loeb-shines-during-f1-test-with-red-bull.html][/url]

Bensars

Quote from: GJL on December 15, 2014, 04:07:04 PM

[urlhttp://www.crash.net/wrc/news/122256/1/loeb-shines-during-f1-test-with-red-bull.html][/url]

The rally boys go a lot slower GJL, it gives them plenty of time to make adjustments. Always suprised that so many crash on a course that they have already gone over ( or the co driver etc) not as if there are other cars involved.

Applesisapples

Rory has discovered what many Ulster Brits have found out before, you are really still only a Paddy no matter how much you protest. it is a competition  (SPOTY) of no consequence, I'd bet he would trade even one major for it.

JoG2

Quote from: Bensars on December 15, 2014, 04:11:52 PM
Quote from: GJL on December 15, 2014, 04:07:04 PM

The rally boys go a lot slower GJL, it gives them plenty of time to make adjustments. Always suprised that so many crash on a course that they have already gone over ( or the co driver etc) not as if there are other cars involved.

on an F1 track or a rally circuit?

Bord na Mona man

Looking at the past winners. Certain sports seem to get awards possibly above their popularity. Some of the people who've made the shortlist, I've never actually seen compete.
Being a member of the Royal Family jumps out as being the best route to winning it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Sports_Personality_of_the_Year_Award

muppet

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on December 15, 2014, 05:11:08 PM
Looking at the past winners. Certain sports seem to get awards possibly above their popularity. Some of the people who've made the shortlist, I've never actually seen compete.
Being a member of the Royal Family jumps out as being the best route to winning it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Sports_Personality_of_the_Year_Award

Have you had any luck in this regard?
MWWSI 2017

Mikhailov

Quote from: Applesisapples on December 15, 2014, 04:38:42 PM
Rory has discovered what many Ulster Brits have found out before, you are really still only a Paddy no matter how much you protest. it is a competition  (SPOTY) of no consequence, I'd bet he would trade even one major for it.
[/b]

Trade 1 major for it - are you mad...

I bet he wouldn't even trade the Holywood Weekly medal competition for it never mind a major...

It is not even on his richter scale in terms of honour - it is a popularity contest. If he genuinely thought he didn't stand a realistic chance then I don't even think he would have bothered to turn up....even though all other nominees appeared to have tuned up even though some of them I had never heard of before

Feckitt

Will he turn up next week for the Irish one?

gallsman

Quote from: Mikhailov on December 15, 2014, 05:33:26 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on December 15, 2014, 04:38:42 PM
[/b]

Trade 1 major for it - are you mad...

I bet he wouldn't even trade the Holywood Weekly medal competition for it never mind a major...

It is not even on his richter scale in terms of honour - it is a popularity contest. If he genuinely thought he didn't stand a realistic chance then I don't even think he would have bothered to turn up....even though all other nominees appeared to have tuned up even though some of them I had never heard of before

Read the context - clearly a typo.

laoislad

Quote from: Feckitt on December 15, 2014, 05:36:02 PM
Katie Taylor should win that.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: laoislad on December 15, 2014, 05:49:15 PM

Cody would be more deserving in my view
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 15, 2014, 05:57:50 PM
Quote from: laoislad on December 15, 2014, 05:49:15 PM

Cody would be more deserving in my view

Is managing a sport, sport?
MWWSI 2017