Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 09, 2014, 10:04:04 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 09, 2014, 01:02:15 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 08, 2014, 10:58:57 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on October 08, 2014, 06:07:50 AM
Fair play to him for this gesture
Tax deductable and good pr...cynical? what me?

And your contribute what?
Quite a lot actually and a considerably larger proportion of my resources than McIlroy, it not tax deductable though. that said it is laudable for any company/person to donate to good causes but lets not get too carried away with this lovefest for Rory.

Fcuk up would you, your making a twat out of yourself.

armaghniac

This is a generous gesture, whatever way you look at it. Take of Nike etc is a bit off beam, while they might welcome publicity, there are other parts of the world and other ways of spending his time that are of more interest to them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

theskull1

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 09, 2014, 08:34:46 AM
Great gesture from McIlroy, does a lot more for charity than any of us ever will.

Out of interest nrico, could you explain what you mean by that statement? Are you referring specifically about his buying and profile power? Charities need benefactors yes, but I think youre ignoring the reality that charities would not exist in the first place without volunteers committing many many hours of their own time free of charge. They are the heros here. Its easy to hand over a few sheckles and instantly feel gratified. Harder to put the shoulder to the wheel for years and years on end.   
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Tubberman

Quote from: theskull1 on October 09, 2014, 10:39:23 AM
Great gesture from McIlroy, does a lot more for charity than any of us ever will.

Out of interest nrico, could you explain what you mean by that statement? Are you referring specifically about his buying and profile power? Charities need benefactors yes, but I think youre ignoring the reality that charities would not exist in the first place without volunteers committing many many hours of their own time free of charge. They are the heros here. Its easy to hand over a few sheckles and instantly feel gratified. Harder to put the shoulder to the wheel for years and years on end.   

Praising McIlroy for his donation doesn't denigrate in anyway the commitment of the volunteers, or anyone else for that matter.
Why the need to bring them into it? Why is it so hard to say "fair play to him" and leave it at that?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Applesisapples

Quote from: thebigfella on October 09, 2014, 10:06:04 AM

Quite a lot actually and a considerably larger proportion of my resources than McIlroy, it not tax deductable though. that said it is laudable for any company/person to donate to good causes but lets not get too carried away with this lovefest for Rory.

Fcuk up would you, your making a t**t out of yourself.
Please take your own advice, as I pointed out before this is a discussion board and I am entitled to a view that differs from yours. I think it is a valid point of view, you obviously differ. There is no need to be rude or to use abusive language.

theskull1

Quote from: Tubberman on October 09, 2014, 10:48:04 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on October 09, 2014, 10:39:23 AM

Praising McIlroy for his donation doesn't denigrate in anyway the commitment of the volunteers, or anyone else for that matter.
a) Why the need to bring them into it? b)Why is it so hard to say "fair play to him" and leave it at that?

The answers are
a) I'm challenging nrico's comment above ..... can't you read?
b) I have done in a previous post
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

thebigfella

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 09, 2014, 10:51:54 AM
Quote from: thebigfella on October 09, 2014, 10:06:04 AM

Fcuk up would you, your making a t**t out of yourself.
Please take your own advice, as I pointed out before this is a discussion board and I am entitled to a view that differs from yours. I think it is a valid point of view, you obviously differ. There is no need to be rude or to use abusive language.

To quote you, "Quite a lot actually and a considerably larger proportion of my resources than McIlroy". Would you ever cop on  ::)

brokencrossbar1

]

A big bualadh bos to that man there!!!!

Oraisteach

He didn't have to donate squat, but he did, so good man, Rory.

heganboy

so Mother teresa vs Bill Gates. Save a few hundred people, or save millions of lives- who is a better person?

And on what basis do you make that judgement?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/13/magazine/13Psychology-t.html

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Apparently so

bcarrier

Quote from: heganboy on October 09, 2014, 08:01:39 PM
so Mother teresa vs Bill Gates. Save a few hundred people, or save millions of lives- who is a better person?

And on what basis do you make that judgement?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/13/magazine/13Psychology-t.html

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason or wrong thing for right reason etc ?

Milltown Row2

Some bitter fecking haters lol. Typical Irish men
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Kidder81

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 09, 2014, 11:01:17 PM

No harm to you but you are obsessed

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Kidder81 on October 09, 2014, 11:22:58 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 09, 2014, 11:01:17 PM

No harm to you but you are obsessed

no harm to you but you are a Troll.  Fair enough?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea