Rory McIlroy

Started by Oraisteach, February 26, 2012, 06:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 08, 2014, 10:58:57 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on October 08, 2014, 06:07:50 AM
Fair play to him for this gesture
Tax deductable and good pr...cynical? what me?

Tax deductible. Maybe. If he has himself set up as a company in the Uk, and assuming his profit is more than £300,000 a £1,000,000 donation will save him tax of £210,000. That still means an outlay of £790,000. Again this is assuming his tax affairs are not more complex in nature. That is some gift. Well done Rory.

Kidder81

Was this not announced a few months ago ? Remember reading something about it in irish news. Fair play to him but hardly the first multi millionaire sportsman to give to charity

leaveherinsir

The posters displaying such cynicism really should hang their heads in shame. Regardles of your personal opinion of McIlroy or Nike or whatever else gets your goat can you honestly deny these kids and families a tiny bit of joy or even a break from the horror of cancer.
Let me assure you that to go through that disease for a child and their family is a painful process you dont even want to imagine. So please set aside your negativity and maybe lead your life with a bit of the joy and enthusiasm these children have had torn from their lives.

glens abu

Quote from: leaveherinsir on October 08, 2014, 09:10:22 PM
The posters displaying such cynicism really should hang their heads in shame. Regardles of your personal opinion of McIlroy or Nike or whatever else gets your goat can you honestly deny these kids and families a tiny bit of joy or even a break from the horror of cancer.
Let me assure you that to go through that disease for a child and their family is a painful process you dont even want to imagine. So please set aside your negativity and maybe lead your life with a bit of the joy and enthusiasm these children have had torn from their lives.

+1,well said

bannside

From the Bunker

Well done Mr. McIlroy! I don't care what criteria or scam or what ever made you do this. But you have and well done!

Milltown Row2

And your contribute what?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on October 09, 2014, 08:18:34 AM
A nice gesture alright but it shouldn't be very hard to do when you are earning about 50 million a year. It's not as if he has to sacrifice a bank holiday weekend in Bundoran over the head of it. Also worth asking, are these kids Fenians or Prods?
That is the important question.Will you contact them for a breakdown on the kids religion?

nrico2006

Great gesture from McIlroy, does a lot more for charity than any of us ever will.  He is the biggest sports star ever to come from this island and I think he actually handles himself quite well in comparison with his peers in other sports etc.  He is a good role model, doesn't court controversy and is successful.  Yet all some jealous fools want to do is constantly talk about flags etc. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

T Fearon

Religious affililiation of the victims is immaterial.Also he seems to be a frequent visitor to the centre and this as much as the money is valuable in raising awareness

theskull1

We'd all become a lot more philanthropic if we had the capability I reckon. Have zero issue with young Rory and could not give one fiddlers what flag someone drapes him in. I'm sure he just goes with the flow to save any hassle and I wouldn't blame him for that. Seems like a good lad.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Applesisapples

Quote from: muppet on October 08, 2014, 03:59:20 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on October 08, 2014, 03:52:41 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 08, 2014, 03:49:46 PM

Jaysus, that is beyond cynical. Golf isn't a popularity contest so I fail to see the value of 'good pr'.
Then you are naive, McIlroy is a business, he is there to sell Nike therfore his brand matters as does his image rights.

Ah I see. He couldn't just be doing something for his community with his money.
Laudable yes, but lets not pretend it is all out of the goodness of his heart only.

Tubberman

Twisted people to try and find any negative angle on this...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 09, 2014, 01:02:15 AM

Quite a lot actually and a considerably larger proportion of my resources than McIlroy, it not tax deductable though. that said it is laudable for any company/person to donate to good causes but lets not get too carried away with this lovefest for Rory.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 09, 2014, 10:04:04 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 09, 2014, 01:02:15 AM

Quite a lot actually and a considerably largerproportion of my resources than McIlroy, it not tax deductable though. that said it is laudable for any company/person to donate to good causes but lets not get too carried away with this lovefest for Rory.

Really?
Hasta la victoria siempre