Are we the greatest golfing nation on earth?

Started by sligoman2, June 19, 2016, 03:02:41 PM

In the last 10 years Irishmen have won 9 majors (Harrington 3 mcilroy 4 Clarke and McDowell one each.  Now Shane Lowry is leading the US open by four shots going into the final round.  By my calculations that would make 10 majors in 10 years from an island of 5million should Lowry hang on to the lead.

Compare that to England with 12 times the population with only one English born winner in the same period i.e Danny Willet.  Before ye start, Justin rose was born in South Africa.

Fairly impressive I would say

Apart from the fact that there are over 6 million people on the island, you do have a point.

Too most people on this board you're not making any sense, n.i and roi are different places  :D

I am sure Lowry will fulfil his media obligations win lose or draw

If Lowry wins it'll be "what Euros?". Olé, ole, ole.

Quote from: Minder on June 19, 2016, 03:28:40 PM
I am sure Lowry will fulfil his media obligations win lose or draw

Cause that really matters.....  ::)

JPGJOHNNYG

im not saying anything, yesterday i was enjoying our first test series win in SA only for us to implode in the last 15 mins. lets just wait and see. i would be delighted if he sees it through but just ask dustin johnson how his 3 shot lead in 2010 went dropping 5 shots in the first 3 holes

Tonto

Quote from: sligoman2 on June 19, 2016, 03:02:41 PM
In the last 10 years Irishmen have won 9 majors (Harrington 3 mcilroy 4 Clarke and McDowell one each.  Now Shane Lowry is leading the US open by four shots going into the final round.  By my calculations that would make 10 majors in 10 years from an island of 5million should Lowry hang on to the lead.

Compare that to England with 12 times the population with only one English born winner in the same period i.e Danny Willet.  Before ye start, Justin rose was born in South Africa.

Yes 6 majors from a population of 1.8 million makes NI the most successful nation in the golfing world :-)

Quote from: sligoman2 on June 19, 2016, 03:02:41 PM

Well, but, I played shite on Saturday and my World Ranking has just gone up to 17,650,181

JPGJOHNNYG

so 4 ahead becomes 1 behind like i was saying^^^^^^. quickly becoming a very very painfull weekend for irish sport

JPGJOHNNYG

its a triple chokearama weekend but sure it was the refs fault, the altitude or the rubbish playing partner nothing to do with the lads at all.

Usual suspects have on here have been very very quiet ... Seems they only like it when they are winning

JPGJOHNNYG

can see dustin doing this the king of chokes himself this time he looks calm and is nailing his drives