Should the supporters go on strike?

Started by sligoman2, May 18, 2015, 02:42:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

Just finished watching the second half of the Donegal v Tyrone game and it was like watching WWF mixed with a bad rugby game.  People shouldn't have to pay 20 or 30 euro to watch that Shyte.  If the GAA won't change the rules and the managers won't change the tactics, then I am very afraid for the future of what was once a great game to play and to watch.
For the first time in my life I'm getting fed up of football, it's becoming unwatchable with players handpassing the ball all over the field and 15 men behind the ball.  It's very hard to watch and I'm sure I'm not the only one getting turned off.

How do we send a message to the GAA and the managers that we are fed up of this nonsense? We need to fix it before it's too late.  I think we (the fans) should send a clear message by boycotting one game completely.  The Armagh v donegal game would probably be a good One As I expect to see a replay of today.  The best way to send a message is to hit them financially.....

What do the think? And what game would ye pick to send a loud and clear message that we are sick of watching this rubbish?
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

J70

omaghjoe

Quote from: sligoman2 on May 18, 2015, 02:42:02 AM
Just finished watching the second half of the Donegal v Tyrone game and it was like watching WWF mixed with a bad rugby game.  People shouldn't have to pay 20 or 30 euro to watch that Shyte.  If the GAA won't change the rules and the managers won't change the tactics, then I am very afraid for the future of what was once a great game to play and to watch.
For the first time in my life I'm getting fed up of football, it's becoming unwatchable with players handpassing the ball all over the field and 15 men behind the ball.  It's very hard to watch and I'm sure I'm not the only one getting turned off.

How do we send a message to the GAA and the managers that we are fed up of this nonsense? We need to fix it before it's too late.  I think we (the fans) should send a clear message by boycotting one game completely.  The Armagh v donegal game would probably be a good One As I expect to see a replay of today.  The best way to send a message is to hit them financially.....

What do the think? And what game would ye pick to send a loud and clear message that we are sick of watching this rubbish?

Endangered animals and rugby......Bill McLaren?

BennyHarp

Go on ahead. Boycott away, let us know how you get on. A sligoman boycotting Armagh v Donegal in an attempt to save the GAA, genius!

That was never a square ball!!

theskull1

Look at the crowds going to watch premiership soccer. I hardly think entertainment is the driving factor in their attendance on the whole.

Whilst I can appreciate the endeavour, it's a game I struggle to enjoy watching.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

tonto1888

Nonsense. That was a good game to watch. It was enthralling from start to finish with a lot of drama and plenty of excellent scores

theskull1

Oh sorry about that... I did enjoy it then  :o
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

sligoman2

Quote from: J70 on May 18, 2015, 04:33:44 AM
How was that Connacht game today?

I don't know as it wasn't on live TV. But I hope it was more open than what I saw in Ballbofey. This is not meant to be an anti ulster rant it's meant to be a pro open football plea.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

nrico2006

People didn't have to pay anything to watch that.  There is an easy solution for those with an issue at paying that money to watch the game - don't pay it.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

BennyHarp

Quote from: sligoman2 on May 18, 2015, 08:40:52 AM

I don't know as it wasn't on live TV. But I hope it was more open than what I saw in Ballbofey. This is not meant to be an anti ulster rant it's meant to be a pro open football plea.

Does this make it better?

Syferus

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 18, 2015, 08:46:52 AM

Yep.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on May 18, 2015, 08:56:25 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on May 18, 2015, 08:46:52 AM

Yep.

I'm sure there are very few people in Ireland who would have enjoyed the openness of Galway v Leitrim than the game at Ballybofey - each to their own I suppose!

Rufus T Firefly

The total scores between both sides would suggest your hope was in vain.

AZOffaly

I only saw the second half from Ballybofey, and I thought it was a good game. Two good teams playing that system can be a relatively enjoyable game. It also showed that with good forwards who are prepared to tailor their movement to try and exploit the system you can find holes even with 13 men behind the ball. Most 'blanket' defenses concentrate their forces 40-50 metres out, and there is still a little bit of a soft underbelly about 30 yards out if you have the forwards to fill the gaps, and the passing skill to find them. There were some lovely scores yesterday, both built up by hand, which I also enjoy when it is purposeful and at pace, and from foot passes of 20-30 yards as well. I don't think yesterday remotely resembled the football Armageddon advertised.

The one thing that is really getting on my goat now though is the sledging. You can see it all over the place. Tyrone lad missed a late chance and there's a lad over roaring in his face, McMahon mouthing at Michael Murphy all day. It's happening too often now, and it's not because the bad man is calling me names, it's because it's designed to have a lad get caught lashing out, and then the instigator will go to town to get him sent off. I hate it. Offaly and Kildare minors were at it, and an Offaly minor did something similar against Westmeath apparently. It's a poor reflection on their own character I think.

I also heard Martin Carney bemoaning the first sending off because apparently the Donegal man was goaded into getting involved with Sean Cavanagh, and therefore he got the second yellow. As if it was calculated. Now Martin may have a point in general, but I thought from what I saw in that instance Cavanagh was more sinned against than sinning. In real time on the TV I saw Gallagher reach around the side of Cavanagh as he (Gallagher) was yapping. I thought it was the dreaded ball grab he was intending, but instead it looked like he tried to grab one of Cavanagh's fingers. Presumably he was going to twist or yank on it. He was hardly pinky promising not to be bold anymore anyway. That's what sparked the wrestling match, and Carney didn't seem to want to pick up on that.

Donegal looked good. McBrearty could be a big player for them this year. McFadden looked a bit leggy in the second half that I saw, but he still got on a good bit of ball.

Tyrone were good as well I thought. That forward, McAlliskey?, looks to have something about him. I'd expect Tyrone to have a good run in the Qualifiers if they get a decent draw in the first game.

laoislad

No panic lads.. We have hurling on next weekend  8)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.