American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: our_fella on January 06, 2014, 05:20:23 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 06, 2014, 05:06:00 PM
On paper, yes, but a star rookie at QB against a strong running fast paced Auburn attack... hmmm... I'll say FSU, because I think their defense is better, but if Auburn get on a roll, or if Winston gets rattled, Auburn will win.

Serious points spread given @ 10.5..

Going to go with Florida over 36 points. Anytime theyre in the red-zone, theyre almost guaranteed to score

As are the Tigers.

Oraisteach

AZ, i'm going to jump in and say that Ohio too is a hotbed of high school football, especially the Northeast and the Cincinnati areas. I've attended so-called "Holy War" games (St. Ignatius vs. St. Edward) with crowds in excess of 12,000, attendance limited by stadium capacity. I don't know what the high school football attendance record is, but I know that years ago a Holy Name vs Cathedral Latin game drew over 70.000 at Cleveland Municipal Stadium.  Remember also that Canton, Ohio, is home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.  Football has deep roots here.

Oraisteach

In tonight's BCS game, I'm curious to see how FSU holds up in a tight contest.  The Noles have blown out everyone they've played, but will they maintain their equilibrium if the game is close in the 4th quarter, or will the freshman QB wilt under pressure.  Also, while the Noles have stifled their opponents' running games, Auburn is not Duke, Miami or the Southern Alabama School for Nannies.  The Tigers will throw at FSU not only a powerful North-South running attack but an array of run options that FSU has not yet encountered.  On the other hand, Auburn has the 102nd ranked passing defense and FSU has a dynamic aerial attack.  And it is the National Championship game, a long way from the comfort of Alabama and Northern Florida, so anything could happen.

Though my Buckeyes (or should I say "Suckeyes") are out of the equation, I'll be rooting for the Noles since my daughter is a grad student there, so c'mon Jailless Winston, let it fly.  Should be a thrilling affair.

TabClear

Well learned two things from the second round of games yesterday. Andy Dalton is not and will never be an elite quarterback and Kaepernick can still run it when he needs to.

Felt sorry for dalton, he just had a shocker but he will have serious questions asked over his position now.

In the second game when Rodgers did his Houdini act on 4 &2 late in the fourth to put the pack in position for the lead changing touchdown I thought that was it. Hyde will have nightmares about the dropped interception and Kaep had two huge conversions on the game winning drive, one to Crabtree where he stepped up and one where he kept it and legged it.

With a defence like that the niners will have a chance against anyone. Roll on next week!

Syferus

Almost time for the last dance..

Didn't know Winston was from Birmingham. Imagine the Tide or the Tigers with Winston. Wow.

Oraisteach

I see that three players on the Auburn roster are from Tallahassee.

Syferus

Auburn significantly outnumbering the 'Noles in the stands.

Oraisteach

Few of FSU's home games sell out.

Syferus

I'll have no nails left after this one. Plenty of heart by the Tigers to make that first stop in the red zone.

Oraisteach

Huge stop by the Tigers & v. unlucky not to complete that long pass play.

Syferus

Clark is one hell of a punter. He's been doing that for months now.

Syferus

WAR EAGLE.

First time FSU have trailed since September.

Oraisteach

Now we'll see Winston's composure.

Syferus

Syferus

Argh..

EDIT: Deee-argh  ;D