Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

So the player taking the kick out can tap  it 5 or 6 metres and then kick it again?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

westbound

Quote from: Rossfan on May 03, 2019, 11:54:51 PM
So the player taking the kick out can tap  it 5 or 6 metres and then kick it again?

Technically yes, but there is nothing to stop an attacker tackling him after he taps it the first time!

In theory the player taking the kickout could 'dribble' it all the way to the far end of the pitch (if not opponent bothered to tackle him!)

Nanderson

If a team has a sideline ball, and the opposition stop them from taking it quickly and its moved up 10 yards or so, does it still stay as a sideline or does it become a free kick?

Hound

Quote from: Nanderson on June 10, 2019, 09:23:45 PM
If a team has a sideline ball, and the opposition stop them from taking it quickly and its moved up 10 yards or so, does it still stay as a sideline or does it become a free kick?
Becomes a free

Nanderson

Quote from: Hound on June 10, 2019, 09:31:30 PM
Becomes a free
Thats what i thought but our referee tonight blew a player up for standing over the line

manfromdelmonte

Can you bring a sideline closer to the opposition goals? News to me

Hound

Quote from: Nanderson on June 10, 2019, 09:35:09 PM
Becomes a free
Thats what i thought but our referee tonight blew a player up for standing over the line
But if it's brought 14m closer to the goal, the kick shouldn't be anywhere near the sideline.
That's the way it happens in Dublin club football anyway. Never seen it brought forward by just moving down the line.

Nanderson

Quote from: Hound on June 10, 2019, 09:49:58 PM
Quote from: Nanderson on June 10, 2019, 09:35:09 PM
Becomes a free
But if it's brought 14m closer to the goal, the kick shouldn't be anywhere near the sideline.
That's the way it happens in Dublin club football anyway. Never seen it brought forward by just moving down the line.
he just moved it down the line 10 yards and our player kicked it about 2 yards onto the pitch. He's a pretty shit ref so im not surprised he doesnt know the rules

DuffleKing

Jesus lads. Pet hate alert...

If we are measuring distance for Gaelic football in terms of moving the ball up, how far a free travels, etc. Its 14 yards or 13 metres.

Tyrdub

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 11, 2019, 05:55:58 AM

Jesus lads. Pet hate alert...

If we are measuring distance for Gaelic football in terms of moving the ball up, how far a free travels, etc. Its 14 yards or 13 metres.

13m

theticklemister

Reffed a game last night and got a bit of dogs abuse from both teams. Retired to the bar after and met some of players. Being in Britain we're closely knit so you know them all and we all frequent same local.

"Je lad you were not good today " came the call from a few boys from both teams.

"Fair enough", I said "what did I do wrong?"

One boy said

"Them two high tackles should have been black cards"

I replied "a high tackle is not a black card, I gave two yellows to their men as it didn't warrant a red"

He continued

" what about the the hop ball you give when we had the free?"

I responded " yes you won free, but your man gave a sly dig with elbow. I was standing 5 metres away whilst you were 50 meters away".

He went on "why did you gave their team a free after everyone starting pushing each other?"

I came back at him "when the player in your team tried and boot the ball off the other mans head, the ball ended up going to the opposition team anyway. A schomzzle broke out. I stopped play to deal with it. The other team were in possession of ball so I gave them possession from the restart."

Another player, "why did you give the hop ball from the lockout?"

"Because it didn't go 13 metre"

" it if cross the line"

"It did, but still needs to travel 13m".

F
U
C
I
I
N
G

H
E
L
L

theticklemister

BennyHarp

Quote from: theticklemister on June 14, 2019, 07:17:19 AM
Reffed a game last night and got a bit of dogs abuse from both teams. Retired to the bar after and met some of players. Being in Britain we're closely knit so you know them all and we all frequent same local.

"Je lad you were not good today " came the call from a few boys from both teams.

"Fair enough", I said "what did I do wrong?"

One boy said

"Them two high tackles should have been black cards"

I replied "a high tackle is not a black card, I gave two yellows to their men as it didn't warrant a red"

He continued

" what about the the hop ball you give when we had the free?"

I responded " yes you won free, but your man gave a sly dig with elbow. I was standing 5 metres away whilst you were 50 meters away".

He went on "why did you gave their team a free after everyone starting pushing each other?"

I came back at him "when the player in your team tried and boot the ball off the other mans head, the ball ended up going to the opposition team anyway. A schomzzle broke out. I stopped play to deal with it. The other team were in possession of ball so I gave them possession from the restart."

Another player, "why did you give the hop ball from the lockout?"

"Because it didn't go 13 metre"

" it if cross the line"

"It did, but still needs to travel 13m".

F
U
C
I
I
N
G

H
E
L
L

The problem is that people have their own blinkered version of the rules. It's a tough enough job in Ireland - its a bloody awful job over here. Keep up the good work fella.
That was never a square ball!!

Milltown Row2

The amount of wankers that don't know the rules!

I'd a referee from a local club pull me during a kids tournament to say it's a hop ball if a player touches it before the required distance! A proper balloon who would give the rest of the refs a bad name!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 15, 2019, 12:50:43 AM
The amount of w**kers that don't know the rules!

I'd a referee from a local club pull me during a kids tournament to say it's a hop ball if a player touches it before the required distance! A proper balloon who would give the rest of the refs a bad name!

That's the issue - people don't have a clue about the rules - not a clue.

At an All Ireland hurling semi-final a couple of yesrs ago. Somebody behind me shouted, 'That's a black card'...omg.