Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theticklemister on November 20, 2018, 10:30:31 PM
A fella goes to catch the ball

He has it, ref blows whistle, and somehow he drops it

what would the referee do?

He has to be in possession when he lands on his feet.

One that gets me and I'll be honest, if the ball is kicked out and one lad goes for a catch comes off his hands and it's wrestled away into another players hands before he lands is it a mark?

The ball during the ping pong moment hasn't touched the ground
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theticklemister

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 20, 2018, 10:37:32 PM

One that gets me and I'll be honest, if the ball is kicked out and one lad goes for a catch comes off his hands and it's wrestled away into another players hands before he lands is it a mark?

it caught me twice this year, once at the weekend during a uni game. I said to the lad, he didn't complete the mark, therefore he can't keep possession. The opposition player came in and claimed possession, but because the fella who dropped its team were down a bucketful, i threw the ball up.

It's not in the mark rule guidelines by the GAA

theticklemister

No that is not a mark, the catch has to be done without the ball touching any other player. The player who eventually marks the ball can juggle with it as long as he wants as long it doesnt touch another player

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theticklemister on November 20, 2018, 10:45:48 PM

No that is not a mark, the catch has to be done without the ball touching any other player. The player who eventually marks the ball can juggle with it as long as he wants as long it doesnt touch another player

That's a hard call when three players go for a ball there are hands on that ball by 3 players, even though a player 'catches' it!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theticklemister

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 20, 2018, 10:54:43 PM

That's a hard call when three players go for a ball there are hands on that ball by 3 players, even though a player 'catches' it!

What would you do with my predicament?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theticklemister on November 20, 2018, 11:00:20 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 20, 2018, 10:54:43 PM

What would you do with my predicament?

If you blow your whistle for the mark then stand over it, but delay your next call until you're sure  :)

Hound

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 20, 2018, 11:08:46 PM

If you blow your whistle for the mark then stand over it, but delay your next call until you're sure  :)

Seen it at club level in Dublin 4 or 5 times this year. A player looks like he's claiming a mark, the ref blows the whistle and simultaneously the players drops the ball before completing the catch. In all those cases, the ref gave the mark. I think rightly so. The whistle signals the completion of the mark (rightly or wrongly!). And perhaps in some of those cases the player might have argued that the whistle blowing jolted his concentration resulting in the ball dropping.

LeoMc

Quote from: Hound on November 21, 2018, 07:27:01 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 20, 2018, 11:08:46 PM

Seen it at club level in Dublin 4 or 5 times this year. A player looks like he's claiming a mark, the ref blows the whistle and simultaneously the players drops the ball before completing the catch. In all those cases, the ref gave the mark. I think rightly so. The whistle signals the completion of the mark (rightly or wrongly!). And perhaps in some of those cases the player might have argued that the whistle blowing jolted his concentration resulting in the ball dropping.

Agreed. Refs can make wrong calls  :o but once it is made it is made.

BennyCake

Reading an article about Weeshie Fogarty.

Apparently as a referee, he gave out the first yellow card when the GAA trialled yellow/reds in 1979. Makes you wonder why on earth it wasn't continued?! It's a no brainer!

Then again, Tyrone might have beat Dublin in 1995 had Charlie been on the sideline like he should have been. Every cloud, and all that...

Manning18

Little off topic but we've no hurling threads to go to really. Changing the ball from white to yellow for visibility, as tennis did back in the day.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/gaa-set-to-standardise-yellow-sliotar-after-fenway-classic-37552182.html

Can see a bit of a kick back on this from the odd person, a hurler mentioned just the week past watching the Fenway that different colored balls annoyed him. We'd always have had the odd luminous orange one lying around training and i did find it strange, certainly moreso than the yellow "floodlight football" but probably something you'd get used to.

Nanderson

Does anyone know the official rule for kickouts. Seems to be in club games that referees interrupt the rules different from each other. Our keeper says that the ball can be kicked from the 14 yard line and as long as it travels outside the 21 yard line it is legal even if they are standing inside the D. A ref blew it up as a hopball in our game tonight. who is right?

Walt Jabsco

Here is the rule regarding kick outs.
Question - Did the ball travel more than 13 m

2.7 (a) When the ball is played over the endline by
the Team attacking that end, or after a score
is made, play is restarted by a kick-out off the
ground from the 13m line and within the large
rectangle.
If the goalkeeper is not taking the kick-out, he
shall stay in the small rectangle, and all other
players, except the player taking the kick-out,
shall be outside the 20m line and 13m from the
ball, until it has been kicked.
The player taking a kick-out may kick the
ball more than once before any other player
touches it but may not take the ball into his
hands.
The ball shall travel 13m before being played
by another player of the defending team

Nanderson

Quote from: Walt Jabsco on May 03, 2019, 10:41:36 PM
Here is the rule regarding kick outs.
Question - Did the ball travel more than 13 m
How is the referee meant to know how far 13m is? Should the semi circle be remarked on each pitch as a 13m radius from the 14 yard line then there is a definate region that you cannot be allowed in

Walt Jabsco

The semi circle was introduced to ensure that all players were 13 metres from the player taking a penalty.It has no relevance regarding a kick out presently but in the past when kick outs were taken at different points whether it be a wide or a score it had relevance. With the kick out from the 13 m line after a wide or a score it done away with this requirement
You asked how does a referee know how they know if a ball has traveled 13m.  The same way he/she makes a judgement if a player is too close to a player taking a sideline or a free - it is a judgement call.

The introduction of the semi circle by a rules revision committee some years back who thought it would be  a good idea but there was a knock on effect on the existing rules in force at that time for both football and hurling and had to be revised. This is something I feel Rules Revision Committees do not take into consideration - the consequences of proposed rule changes and how it affects other rules.     

Stall the Bailer

You are actually 22m from a penalty taker now when outside the D, as the penalty was moved in 2m from the 13m line where it used to be. Even though the kick out and penalty positions have changed, the exclusion zone hasn't