Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

"The tackle is a skill by which one or more players may dispossess an opponent or frustrate his objective within the rules of fair play. A tackle is aimed at the ball, not the player. A tackler may use his body to confront the opponent, but deliberate bodily contact such as punching, slapping, arm-holding, pushing, tripping, jersey pulling or a full frontal charge is forbidden."

My point is there is leeway for one player to tackle and make body contact at the same time but when you have 2 and 3 doing it at the same time, flaying arms in unison, then imo that's a foul.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Main Street on August 02, 2017, 08:55:08 PM
"The tackle is a skill by which one or more players may dispossess an opponent or frustrate his objective within the rules of fair play. A tackle is aimed at the ball, not the player. A tackler may use his body to confront the opponent, but deliberate bodily contact such as punching, slapping, arm-holding, pushing, tripping, jersey pulling or a full frontal charge is forbidden."

My point is there is leeway for one player to tackle and make body contact at the same time but when you have 2 and 3 doing it at the same time, flaying arms in unison, then imo that's a foul.

That tackle definition isn't fit for purpose.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Main Street

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 03, 2017, 10:48:07 AM
Quote from: Main Street on August 02, 2017, 08:55:08 PM

That tackle definition isn't fit for purpose.
who said it was fit for purpose, but it's a standard not a gospel.
Slapping, punching, pushing within limits is allowed when you have one tackler doing it, but 2 or 3  slapping, punching, pushing  at the same time? is that fit for purpose?

macdanger2

Heard on the news that a rule about kickouts having to go outside the 21 got approved at Congress today. Didn't even realise this was up for discussion. Big enough change and will definitely have an effect next year

Rossfan

Anything that encourages the ball being kicked forward is to be welcomed.
This was signalled from way back but in typical GAA world fashion no one notices till it's passed.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 30, 2017, 11:16:20 PM
Heard on the news that a rule about kickouts having to go outside the 21 got approved at Congress today. Didn't even realise this was up for discussion. Big enough change and will definitely have an effect next year
Good move. Along with the mark it should ensure more high fielding.

macdanger2

Quote from: Rossfan on October 01, 2017, 12:38:36 AM
Anything that encourages the ball being kicked forward is to be welcomed.
This was signalled from way back but in typical GAA world fashion no one notices till it's passed.

Fair enough it was presumably signalled but I didn't hear it discussed on any podcasts or papers. Or even on here, was it discussed? Overall, I think it's likely to be positive but it definitely came in under the radar

BennyCake

Apologies if discussed previously.

So, up to the third black card, player can be replaced.

Does a team get an additional black card sub, if the game goes to extra time?

BennyCake

Who sets the rules for free-kick shootouts after extra time?

Mullahoran and Banagher had to participate at the weekend, and both management said they weren't  in favour. Just wondered if it was ulster council or gaa hq who set the rules of this?

What would have been the penalty if both teams had have refused to take part in the shootout?

Rossfan

I'd imagine it's HQ  finish on the day and all that.
Would both  clubs be disqualified?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on November 20, 2018, 08:06:56 PM
Who sets the rules for free-kick shootouts after extra time?

Mullahoran and Banagher had to participate at the weekend, and both management said they weren't  in favour. Just wondered if it was ulster council or gaa hq who set the rules of this?

What would have been the penalty if both teams had have refused to take part in the shootout?

I'd imagine St Endas would have been crowned champions, it's not like that's the first time it's happened, the players managers and club officials would have known long beforehand, emails or even meetings in some cases are held and club secretary is informed of times regulations on subs water carriers and so.. the place to object is before the match!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on November 20, 2018, 10:04:38 PM
Fair enough so.

Still, a shitty way to decide a match.

Rotten, and I'd only use the method if the other game is 7 days away, if there is a 2 week gap then play the game on the Wednesday night to a finish then.. it needs to be looked at but time constraints can upset the other team having to wait and extra week sitting on their hands
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

theticklemister

A fella goes to catch the ball

He has it, ref blows whistle, and somehow he drops it

what would the referee do?