Contact Lenses

Started by downgirl, August 04, 2008, 09:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downgirl

I have been wearing contacts for years now and to be honest if I have them in for more than 8 hours or so they are really starting to hurt, they never used to, any ideas what to do??  Should I try changing makes of lenses?  I wouldn't wear them every day so it's not like I'm wearing them too much I don't think.  :-\

rolloutking

Are they dailies or monthlys?

You can ask your optician for a softer contact lens or else use artificial tears when your lens start to go dry and sting.

Try taking them out for about 15 mins and cleaning them

ziggysego

I'm afraid that happens if you wear them too long. Sisters used to wear them non-stop and now it's too sore. Only wear them if they are going out a night now.
Testing Accessibility

downgirl

Monthly...and I make sure I don't keep them longer than the 30 days.  I think mine are soft already, but I might try those artificial tears, do you get them from the optician or do they do them in chemists?

downgirl

Actually thinking about laser eye surgery, but do you have to have a constant prescription for a few years before you get it or something?

maggie

was just bout to suggest the laser treatment, one of the girls at work had it done-but it was private-deadly job though

downgirl

She didn't have any problems with it then?  I would be worried about something going wrong and making my eyesight worse  :-\ :-\

Puckoon

No apparent eyesight problems for puck, which shatters that particular myth, however Ive heard nothing but superb reports about the laser surgery. If you have the money, or even if you dont, it seems like a great investment.

maggie

no it was pretty painfree and she can now see how much of a rotter her hubbie really is :D :D

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteI have been wearing contacts for years now and to be honest if I have them in for more than 8 hours or so they are really starting to hurt, they never used to, any ideas what to do??  Should I try changing makes of lenses?  I wouldn't wear them every day so it's not like I'm wearing them too much I don't think.

Stop being so self-conscious and wear glasses!
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

downgirl

Tacadoir I do wear glasses but they are handy for nights out or matches and all and for I am in labs even though technically you aren't meant to wear contacts in the labs but you look like an eejit if you wear glasses under the safety glasses like  :D

Puckoon

Down girl - you could get a pair of safety glasses made for the lab - your prescription in a safety glass but obviously something a little "cooler" than bog standard lab glasses.

'Cooler' as in as cool as any of us lab nerds can ever possibly hope to be.

downgirl

Aye Puck I have seen those prescription lab glasses... :-\ they aren't the most attractive..well the ones my demonstrater had weren't anyway!  Where do you get them from anyway, just the optician??

rolloutking

You can get the artificial tears from a chemist for 2 or 3 quid

My cousin got laser surgery last year and she was in and out in a day and was able to see after a couple of days. Its about 600 quid per eye. Theres a place on the Lisburn Road where you can go in and get a free test or sumthin

Im currently pondering about getting a car or getting laser eye surgery. Contacts and glasses are such as hassle especially when they start irritating you. The amount of times I came home from a night out pissed and nearly poked my eye out trying to take out my lenses and then wash them is ridiculous. Half the time they fall on the floor and then thats them done and you have to open a new set...which costs £12

The most annoying thing is when you fall asleep with them in and then have the dryness in your eyes when you wake up and their stuck to your cornea. Its hatefull not being able to have a little snooze.

Puckoon

Basically the requirement for lab safety glasses changes depending on what you are working with. Realistically working with chemicals (unless you need a whole face mask) there isnt really any need for those huge feckin things that take up half your face. Id just get yourself a new prescription pair, slightly bigger frames and roberts your mothers sisters live in lover.
Ask your optician what they can do for you, or alternatively ask your coalman about the coal thats too hot for texas.