2017 AFL Season

Started by Aerlik, March 16, 2017, 03:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TabClear

Watched the anzac day game and hawks vs West Coast.  Hawks looked like a different team and rioli was a joy to watch.  His bounce nutmeg on an eagle back was fantastic. Great to see Roughead getting to 500 goals.

Bombers looked really good against the pies. Daniher and Fantasia were excellent. They could give a lot of teams problems this year

Carmen Stateside

I see Young Mc Kenna playing for Essendon tonight.  He's turned into a strong athlete.

Aerlik

Round Six

Greater Western Sydney 75 - 73 Footscray
Now this WAS what a proper Friday night nationally-televised game should be.  It had everything from great scores, shite umpiring (more on that later) and suspensions resulting from gulpins smacking fellas on the chops.  It was edge-of-your-seat stuff, even for the neutral and  I was happy to see the Giants win as I'd tipped them.  People are forecasting these to be the Grand Finalists this year, but I can tell you which team definitely WON'T be playing in the GF...

St. Kilda 130 - 55 Hawthorn
I didn't see any of this game and by all accounts unless you were a Saints fan, you didn't miss much.  Not even the absence of Cyril Rioli could be used as an excuse.  Saints were just too bloody good all over the park, with the mercurial Nick Riewoldt (cousin of the AFL's biggest gurner from Richmond) helping himself to four goals.  St. Nick just keeps going and with the pressure of captaincy no longer on his mighty shoulders the fella is having a great season.  (Got a bit of a soft spot for the Saints).

Carlton 97 - 78 Sydney
Guess which other team will NOT be playing in the GF?  Actually you don't need to try too hard.  This is the first time in the history of the AFL/VFL that a previous year's GF team recorded a first six game loss the following season.  And there are many who aren't displeased, mainly because Sydney built its formidable success on the back of huge privileges from the AFL, attracting (among others) two of the biggest names in the comp in Franklin and Tippett to multi-year multi-million dollar deals recently.  I listened to this game on the wireless and the roar of the Carlton faithful for every goal was sensational.   The wireless commentators were drowned out.  Sydney are firmly anchored at the bottom of the ladder after this.  Great to see an old Freo boy, Alex Silvagni, having a good season.  He'll always be a crowd favourite at Freo. 

Port Adelaide 150 - 67 Brisbane
Dear God, last week the Lions were running Geelong close before being overwhelmed in the last 20 or so minutes.  This week they were back to being, well, shite again.  And I mean shite.  Don't even bother watching the hightlights.   Yep, that bad.

North Melbourne 107 – 94 Gold Coast Suns
Finally the Roos have won a game this season to rise up above Sydney.  But not before having to deal with another mercurial genius of the game, Gary Ablett Jr.  I didn't see or hear any of the game but by all accounts the little maestro (if you call 6ft. little) had a sensational game and almost did the business singlehandedly. 

Themmuns (a few more than us) – 62 Fremantle
Yep, not happy.  Not even remotely happy.  Shite umpiring won the game for the trash in the first quarter. Simple as that.  Cannot for the life of me fathom what the umpires were thinking.  But I suppose when you appoint a themmuns season ticket holder as the principal referee, you have to expect severe bias.  And then for the totally biased WA media to suggest that (a) Nathan Fyfe was going to get suspended for pushing the Trash actor (yep really painful to watch...in fact more painful to watch than the alleged "strike" he was purported to have received on his chop; indeed, he deserves a slap from his captain for the bollixing around he did on the ground - made Ronaldo look like Vinnie Jones), and (b) start up stupid rumours that Fyfe was going to Saints next season when everyone knows he's a restricted free agent with all that implies.    Well, I cannot wait for next weekend when we play the other drug cheats, Essendon, and the most infamous drug cheats, aka themmuns, play my second team, Port Adelaide. (In through the nose...hold....hold....hold...out through the mouth...)

Melbourne 112 – 74 Essendon
Whilst I tipped the bombers to win, I was still happy to see the demons get up in this game.  They have been riddled by injuries to key players coupled with suspensions and the death of Jesse Hogan's father, so for them to win this one especially after losing to the Tigers the way they did and Essendon's great win over the pies on ANZAC day was great to see.  I didn't see any of the game but the much maligned former no.1 draft pick Jack Watts was drafted back into the ruck and still managed to kick four goals.  (Now why can't Sandilands do that?  Oh, did I say that out loud?)

Collingwood 107 – 78 Geelong.
I initially thought when I saw the TV schedule that once again the TV companies got it wrong, anticipating a right good hammering for the pies.  I'm pleased to say I was wrong.  This game started at the start of the second half of mini-me's first game of the season so I was forever keeping tabs on the progress score on my phone.    However, I got home in time to see from the latter part of the third quarter.  It was great viewing and whilst I'm not as rabidly anti-Collingwood these days I wouldn't have begrudged the Cats another come-from-behind win.  As it was I was actually secretly cheering on the pies as they held on to record their second and definitely best win of the season so far.  The Cats' midfielders were well contained by the sheer tenacity and imagination of the Pies players.  The last ten minutes were really interesting as the Cats did all they could to get close on the scoreboard but in the end the pies resilience in the face of such pressure was commendable. 

Adelaide 140 – 64 Richmond
Deemed the game of the round between the only two unbeaten teams thus far this season, it was just that until the start of the second quarter.  Thereafter the crows just changed gear into top and blew the Tigers away.  Now the only unbeaten team in the comp, the Crows are looking even more ominous than they were last week.  And, woe betide any team that thinks they can just batter their way past this lot.  Simply formidable.    I'm looking forward to seeing the Crows against the Cats and the Giants and that will give us some indication of where the Premiership is going to end up this season.  My prediction of the Swans in the final is shot, but I still stick by my suggestion that the Crows are going to be the team this year.

Righto, well, it was a round of shocks and disappointment and "quelle surprise(s)".  Crows 6-0, Swans 0-6, Freo 3-3.  Could be worse I suppose.

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

An Astrail

Tippett is not on as much as you think - my understanding is that his contract was very heavily front-loaded to prevent him being picked up in the draft by someone else, and taking advantage of a large number of retirements and delistings that year. He's not cheap but is definitely not a Bondi millionaire. Buddy definitely is on the big bucks and his contract is middle-loaded (biggest dollars in this year and the next two). But he wouldn't be on a whole lot more than Ablett, Cameron or Fyfe.

Sydney is in the middle of a rebuild with 9/22 players on Saturday having less than 50 games and most of those not close to that. They are not setting up around the field the way they have in the past few seasons and that's creating a lot of pressure that should be avoided and increasing the error rate. That will come with experience. That said they were very poor at times against Carlton and the run of losses seems to be getting into their heads.

The first half of Melbourne-Essendon was some of the worst football I have seen in a long time. You missed nothing there except an exercise in turning the ball over from kicks. It did pick up after the long break though and was a decent contest until the Demons pulled away. On the other hand the first quarter of Adelaide Richmond was lovely to watch and the Crows just maintained that intensity and quality of four quarters. They deserve to be clear at the top as the only team that hasn't looked fallible for a second so far this year.

Aerlik

Round Seven – The round of shocks...big shocks.

St. Kilda 108 – 85 GWS Giants
This was another great Friday night game for the neutral to watch.  It had everything especially the final quarter come from behind win by the Saints.  The Giants will be licking their wounds and the injuries are starting to mount.  Their cause was not helped by the suspension given to Green for smacking the opposition player the week before.  If you're going to do that don't do it in front of a national audience with the ball in the other player's hands.  Nice to see the Saints quietly making their way up into the Top 8 where I have no reason to doubt they'll remain.

North Melbourne 145 – 86 Adelaide
The last remaining unbeaten record was obliterated in incredible fashion by the dominant 'roos in this game.  Read this carefully; first quarter score North Melbourne 10-4 (64) Adelaide ZERO (0).  You read that correctly.  Adelaide failed to score in the first quarter.  Thereafter it was nothing more than a damage limitation exercise for the Crows.  And Eddie Betts kicked his 500th. career goal.  Jarrod Waite capped off a great performance of six goals by getting suspended for belting a Crow player.  Why, oh why would you?  Suddenly the media vultures (some refer to them as reporters, even fewer suggest journalists) are hailing the downfall of the Crows.  I consider this a mere blip.

Carlton 79 – 56 Collingwood
If there is one game a Carlton fan does not like to lose it is this one and after years in the doldrums the Navy Blues fan are getting the Listerine ready and the strepsils on stand by as they are beginning to crow again.  This was the game to mark 125 years of the Collingwood Footy Club but it was a flop.  They were insipid at best and but for the efforts of a small handful of players it could've been even more embarrassing.  To rub salt into the wound, Dale Thomas the ex-Pie premiership player of 2010 who jumped ship a few seasons ago to follow his beloved Mick Malthouse to Carlton, scored the cheekiest goal of the game, selling a perfect dummy before a couple of bounces and kicking the goal.  Oh the toothless ones were not happy.
On a sad note for Collingwood, their 1954 Premiership Captain, Lou Richards, passed away on Monday.  Anyone who was in Australia and watched the Sunday Footy show would be familiar with him.  Funny bloke.  RIP.

Themmuns 97 – 87 Port Adelaide
Not happy.  Port totally dominated this game but couldn't hit a bull's arse with a barn door.  Jaysus it was frustrating, made all the more so but the crowing of the budgies about how they are genuine premiership contenders.  And without Not-a-cluey.  Well the rest of the teams might as well hoist their white flags now.  I watched the second half and thought the Power would get the win such was their dominance around the ground but they just couldn't bloody score goals.  Fekkers are playing the Bulldogs on Friday night here in Perth.  It'll be heard to live with them.

Gold Coast 124 – 99 Geelong
A couple of former Freo players were in opposition tonight with Michael Barlow and Sam Menegola lining out for the Suns and Cats respectively.  The former had the last laugh including scoring a great "banana" kick from the forward pocket.  Menegola didn't do so bad bagging three goals. 
This was a game that early season form suggested would result in a Cats win.  Well the Cats only led for a brief few minutes in the first quarter, thereafter it was all Suns.  Ablett was his usual mercurial magic, kicking a superb goal on the run from the edge of the 50m arc on the boundary.  This is just so hard to do, but then again, it is Gary Ablett we are talking about.  Quite night for Tuohy.

Footscray 80 – 75 Richmond
The new deliberate out of bounds rule was the main focus after this game.  A umpiring decision deep in the bulldogs' defensive pocket in the last minute is all the talk as it allowed the bulldogs to gain possession and clear the ball away after relentless Tigers' pressure. 
This was another clinker game to watch.  The composure and control of the Bulldogs in the final quarter was fantastic and was all the talk at Mini-me's game the next day.  At one stage Footscray were 26 points down in the first quarter but you don't become premiers by giving up that readily.  The final quarter was just superb.

Sydney 135 – 81 Brisbane
Finally the Swans won a game.  In fact they were never behind in this game.  Franklin kicked eight goals.  Nothing much else to report here.  I'm still optimistic that the Swans will make the finals if they can get all their injured stars out on the paddock.

Hawthorn 94 – 91 Melbourne
Oooooh so close for Melbourne.  I didn't see the game but was following the scores on-line.  Had they won this game they would have found themselves safely in the Top 8.  As it was the experience of the Hawks held out for a much needed second win for the season.

Fremantle 116 – 79 Essendon
Happy!
I had two reasons for wanting us to win this one.  Firstly Freo were up against the druglord Worsfold's disgraced team of drug cheats, and secondly there was a Tyrone hoor playing for them.  I dunno which was the worser.  A quick Bombers start had Freo on the back foot and they led by 27 points, but a strategical change saw Connor Blakely start to tag Zac Merrett and the game swung dramatically in Freo's favour.  Four great goals from big full forward Matt "ooh-aah" Taberner  and a brace from McCarthy and Kersten along with sterling efforts from Brad Hill and Lachie Neale were the difference.  Nat Fyfe was his usual sublime best despite the often questionable efforts of the Bombers players to shackle him.  Freo have now equalled last year's total games won.  Little wonder I stopped writing.    A quiet game from McKenna but I have to say the fella is built like a bloody tank.  He'll be some asset to the bushmen when/if he returns to Gaelic Football.

So, there you are – another incredible weekend of AFL games.  Interestingly every team lower on the ladder than their opponent heading into round seven emerged victorious for the first time in an eighteen-team competition.  It wrecked my tipping only managing three correct.  But some fella in Perth bet $10 on the nine winners and pocketed $41,000.  Nice work.

Aerlik

All the best to Mark O'Connor on his dayboooo for Geelong tomorrow.  Some achievement only joining last October, playing 4 reserves games and getting the nod for the seniors.  Thank fekk they're not playing Freo.

macdanger2

Who's Hanley playing with these days? Gold coast? Is he injured or what?

Aerlik

He's with Gold Coast Suns playing in the engine room with the superb Gary Abblett Jr.  Also in that area is one of my favourite players and ex-Freo favourite, Michael Barlow.

macdanger2

Never beat the deeler

Cian Hanley is still at the lions. He was due to make his debut for the NEAFL side a few weeks ago but this was when he had to go gimme due to the death of his brother, Tommy.

Pearce is currently injured
Hasta la victoria siempre

Aerlik

ROUND EIGHT – ONE TO BE REMEMBERED

Sorry about the delay, folks, but it has been one helluva round of footy.  So hang on to your tae n sangas.  Any Richmond fans on here?

Themmuns 69 – 61 Footscray
Jaysus this was not the standard we were expecting of (a) the premiers, Footscray, and (b) themmuns who think no other team exists and they are just wonderful.  Well they were just pretty bloody average in this game.  Had the bulldogs kicked a bit straighter then we'd have been listening the crickets and watching the tumbleweeds down Hay St. Subiaco.  As it is, the extremely pro-themmuns meeja are ranting and raving about Top 4 this, Grand Final that...blah, blah, blah.  Yep, average at best.

Hawthorn 113-75 Brisbane
Even more mediocre shite from the Lions.  Oh dear there is a long, long rebuild in store at the Gabba.  I didn't even bother watching the highlights.  Seems I haven't missed much.

St. Kilda 85-66 Carlton
If you look at the scoring chart of this game it was a real see-saw affair.  Saints led a quarter time, and the Blues dragged it back to only 4 points at half time.  Then the Saints pushed in the third before the Blues came back at them again to lead at the start of the final quarter.  In the end the self belief of the Saints was enough to will them over the line with a bit to spare.  The Saints resurgence continues.

GWS 102-99 Collingwood
I suggest you watch the highlights of this game.  It was fekkin class.  With the exception of the first quarter when the Pies had 26 point lead the game evolved into another great ding-dong battle.  And just when the Pies thought they had it won, up stepped Stevie Johnson.  Go on, watch those highlights.  And tell me that you don't feel just a wee bit sorry for the Pies.  God, I'm getting mellow in my old age.

Essendon 110 – 93 Geelong
Not the best start to his professional career for Kerry's Mark O'Connor.  Indeed, the final score pays an unjustified compliment to the  Cats to be honest.  It was only then that they woke up and started playing.  They were abysmal up to that point as the Bombers were just ruthless.  Some great scores and a fair afternoon's work from bushman McKenna.  Cats boss Chris Scott said he was disgusted with his team's efforts.  Fair call.  Essendon have a wee man called Anthony McDonald-Tipinwuti, from the Top End.  Just a great player to watch. But don't be holding the ball when he's around.
Melbourne 107 – 66 Adelaide
For the second week in a row I have to tell you to read that again and I have to confirm that that scoreline is correct.  A twelve goals to three second half from the Demons blew the Crows out of the park.  It was sensational stuff.   Unfortunately we in WA didn't see this game but we were being treated to the Essendon massacre instead, so no issues there.  However the highlights reel made great viewing.  That's 39 goals the Crows have conceded in two games.  Massive.  Not as indestructible as some thought, after all.

Port Adelaide 114 – 38 Gold Coast
The history-making first AFL game for points to be played outside of Australasia (as the Saints have played gamed in New Zealand), this game was played in China.  Over 10,000 came to watch the game and a fair few were Port fans.  They'd be the only ones celebrating as the Suns were shite, kicking 4.14.  I didn't even bother to watch the highlights.

Sydney 120 – 78 North Melbourne
The two bottom teams went head to head and other than a few minutes in the first quarter the Roos were always trailing the Swans.  Suddenly the meeja are raving about the Swans revival.  I don't know. 

Fremantle 72 – 70 Richmond
If you've been following my obviously unbiased reports these past few weeks you'll have probably been thinking that I was on heart attack medication due to the way my team seemed to win games in the last minutes of the game, read v. Melbourne, v. North Melbourne, and come from behind wins v. Essendon etc.  Well, this tops the lot.  I might add that I was working so I did not see any of this game at all.
If you were a Freo fan, or even a Richmond fan for that matter, you'd be thinking that entering the last minute with Freo winning 66-64, the game was probably over and a win at the MCG was ours.  Oh no.  This is Freo and that is Richmond.  With 30 or so seconds left, Richmond snapped a fifth straight goal for the final quarter to drag themselves into the lead for the first time since the early minutes of the first quarter, 70-66.  Freo had put enormous pressure on the Tigers all over the park all day but decided to fall asleep in the last quarter and those five goals had revived the Tigers.  Surely it was all over now with only 21 seconds left.  From the centre bounce Sandilands provided the ball on a plate to the indomitable Lachie Neale who burst forward unchallenged before launching a perfect pass to the outrushing David Mundy.  He grabbed the ball about 30m out on a 45-degree angle.  Then the siren sounded.... Two years ago, Mundy kicked the winning goal against Richmond with a set shot from about 55 metres out.  Was history to repeat itself, kind of?  It certainly was.
Mr IceMan slotted the winning goal and there was bedlam on the pitch with the Freo players coming from all angles to celebrate a win they should've had by three quarter time but were, in the end, fortunate to get.  Oh well, who cares, a win is a win.  Jaysus I love my footy team, but it's probably a good thing I wasn't either there, or watching the game.  Anyone got a spare pacemaker lying around?  Go on, watch the last two minutes on the AFL highlights site.  You won't regret it.  Unless you're that Richmond fan I was asking about earlier.

The Subbie

Seen the GWS game, even when they were 31
Points down the tigers never looked in control,  serious serious match it was, great display by GWS.
Also seen Adelaide vs Brisvegas, Eddie Betts was outstanding for the crows, best player on the field .
I'm also dubious about the swans revival , they have a long way to go yet.

Aerlik

ROUND NINE (and the knives are being sharpened)

Geelong 104-81 Footscray
When the going gets tough...you know the rest.   After the inept effort the week before the Cats came out and made their intentions very clear.  Leading for most of the game they were behind at three-quarter time then came out in the final quarter and finished the game off, led by their hard-as-nails (but still a bloody thug) captain, Joel Selwood.  Seven majors in the final quarter was enough to see the Cats back on track and it was a good way to return to their home stadium for the first time this season after major construction work.  And Mark O'Connor got his first win but seemed out of place in the huddle in the rooms after the win and during the song.  Tuohy kicked a goal too.  He's having a pretty damned good season so far.  Trimming that stupid bloody beard must've helped.

Sydney 118 – 68 St.Kilda
Quite simply, a statement.  Of intent.  Twelve goalscorers (including four multiple scorers) and suddenly all those who were sharpening the knives for the Swans were back in the kitchen putting them away again.  This win was crucial for the Swans as a defeat would have pretty much ended any chance of finals this season.  But I will declare here that if they play like that for the rest of the season, they'll be in the Grand Final.  Watched the highlights only and some serious efforts all around.  Love him or hate him, if you give Buddy Franklin space up to sixty metres from goal and let him swing that left peg, you might as well just acknowledge that he is going to score. 

GWS 78-75 Richmond
Yep, they've done it again.  When it seemed that the Tigers had the game won they went and lost it in the last seconds.  Three points up with a minute to play, the Tigers gave away another last ditch goal for the second week on the trot by allowing GWS to play Route One footy, down the centre.  The goal that won it was a great kick on the run from the Giants' superb full-forward Jeremy Cameron.  That man is deadly in front of goals.  Head Coach Damian Hardwick has come in for some serious criticism for his declaration that he was proud of his players.  FFS, they've thrown away two games in two weeks that would've put them top of the table.  Proud?  Hmmmmm.  I would be fekkin livid if I was a Tigers' fan.

Adelaide 140 – 60 Brisbane
Nothing to see here, so move along.  Hanley's departure was indeed very timely.

Collingwood 90-72 Hawthorn
Now, there is one team that everyone loves to hate and that is Collingwood.  But I don't hate them, I just dislike them somewhat less than I hate the Eagles.  Well, in the first quarter and for about twenty minutes of the second quarter, even the Collingwood fans were stongly disliking their team as the boos rang out around the MCG.  By quarter time, the Pies had a solitary point on the board.  Yep, a single behind that in itself was fortunate.  The second quarter was looking equally as bleak and by half-time Collywobbles were 34 points down.  No-one knows what was said by the coach Nathan Buckley at half time but whatever it was it worked... brilliantly.  I even found myself sitting and willing the pies on – mainly because I had tipped them.  By three quarter time the sides were level with the Hawks in turn restricted to a solitary point for the third quarter.  The final margin was a fair reflection of the second half and the many toothless ones in the stands were once again lauding their heroes.  Buckley keeps his job for another week.

Essendon 125 – 64 Mummy's Boys ;D ;D ;D
Yep, that is how the Melbourne media are calling themmuns after one of the most enjoyably laughable efforts of the season.  They were shite.  Pure utter dung.  No need to go into detail but I left at half time to take mini-me to his club's game but was gloating on the sidelines in front of the Eagles fans who dared to wear their colours, and kept relaying the score to other Freo fans nearby.  Yep, the weekend was great.

North Melbourne 104 – 90 Melbourne
After their heroics in Adelaide the week before, this was seen as a formality for the Demons.  Except that you are expected to switch on before the game, not at quarter time and three quarter time.  This was a bad-tempered game with a few incidents leading to visits to the MRP but Melbourne had no answer for big Todd Goldstein in the ruck division (which is really costing Melbourne) or forward Ben Brown – he with the weird fekkin hair – who kicked five goals.  A win would've kept the Demons nicely in touch with the top 4 instead of being in 11th. spot.   
On a scary note, Melbourne star forward Jesse Hogan was only last week diagnosed with testicular cancer and fortunately got it treated in time.  Can happen to anyone, fellas, so get those nuts checked if you have ANY doubts.

Fremantle 86-51 Carlton
Not only did Caaaaaaaaaalton fly over to Perth, it seems they brought the notoriously unpredictable Melbourne (4 season in one day) weather with them.  It was awful and I got my arse soaked in the first quarter.  (Mini-me was later to find a great undercover spot elsewhere in the stand to watch the game so I was happier by that time.)  The boys must've still been asleep from the final quarter against Richmond the week before, because they sure as hell were sleeping in the first quarter of this game.  Anyhow, they woke up and began getting stuck into the Blues, in the end winning easily enough.  The weather spoiled the game as a spectacle but the performances of our two midfielders, Michael Walters and Lachie Neale were outstanding, closely followed by the grit of the other mids Blakely and Fyfe.  Not a great game but a win is a win, made all the sweeter by the efforts of themmuns earlier in the day.  Fifth spot on the ladder, and just outside the Top 4 on percentage.

TabClear

Hawkswin over Sydney is an absolute cracker of a game. When they played last year they were 1&2 in the table.     For Two teams so low down the ladder this year, this game was a reminder of some of the class both teams still have. Fitting that in indigenous round Buddy was sensational for the swans as was Silk for the Hawks. Ultimately came down to Roughead goal in the last minute from 50.

Cats were pushed all the way by the power but scraped home in the Thursday night game.  As good as the cats are you wonder how they would cope with the loss of Selwood or Dangerfield for a few weeks. 

The Subbie

Quote from: TabClear on May 27, 2017, 07:29:37 PM
Hawkswin over Sydney is an absolute cracker of a game. When they played last year they were 1&2 in the table.     For Two teams so low down the ladder this year, this game was a reminder of some of the class both teams still have. Fitting that in indigenous round Buddy was sensational for the swans as was Silk for the Hawks. Ultimately came down to Roughead goal in the last minute from 50.

Cats were pushed all the way by the power but scraped home in the Thursday night game.  As good as the cats are you wonder how they would cope with the loss of Selwood or Dangerfield for a few weeks. 

Yeah Buddy ran the show for the Swans on Friday night, they are a different team from what they were a few weeks ago, a cracker of a game with the swans unlucky to not get anything out of that match.
The Essendon Vs Tigers game was another good one and my first chance to see young Mc Kenna in a full match & not just highlights, he had a good game, a wee bit raw but impressive nonetheless, his handling and distribution are 1st class