Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred the red

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 24, 2009, 02:47:20 PM
Neutral are recommended. (Just looked on google) Under pronation is called suprination I think...

I use asics. Just bought a pair of gel cumulus 11 of start fitness.

It's the cheapest place about for running stuff.

Cheers mo chara

Mayo4Sam

So any of u doing gael force? Www.gaelforcewest.ie Only 2 weeks away now & really looking forward to it, hoping to knock 20 mins off last yrs time & go sub 5 hrs
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Trevor Hill

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 23, 2009, 02:31:35 PM
Trevor heel spurs sound to be like plantar fiscalis...

I assume you have problems with the base of your feet? The best way to treat this is to get a tennis ball and when you're watching tv or whatever take your shoes off and roll the tennis ball about with the painful part of your foot. I had mild plantar fiscalis and got rid of it myself by doing this while still training.

Tried using the tennis ball and although it eased the pain somewhat it came back after any prolonged running. Finally gave in and went to a doctor who after a course of anti-inflammatorys has given me an injection of steroids into my heel. Its agony at the minute, but hopefully this will cure it.
Looking forward to some light running next week, after I have been to the podiatrist.

moysider

Wonder has anybody had a ganglion[cyst] removed from a foot? Just wondering about recovery and stuff. Have been doing serious running -for me- and I would nt like a long lay-off. It s on my right instep where I had a metatarsal break and its been there years but is getting progressively worse. Now about the size of a big grape. I cant kick anything heavier than a balloon which is a bitch cause the 5-a-side is gone and I cant even kick about with the kids. Thankfully it does nt bother me running. Yet anyway.  But I may be on borrowed time there too as the extra training seems to be making it bigger. Should I leave well-enough alone?

Trevor Hill

Quote from: moysider on October 20, 2009, 11:10:26 PM
Should I leave well-enough alone?

Get it looked at. It wont get better on its own.

I had my first good run planned for yesterday after a long lay off. Did everything right, plenty of stretching beforehand, chaged my route so I ran downhill first to loosen up the legs, everything was going well until I twisted my ankle. Looks like at least another 2 weeks off.

Orior

Quote from: Trevor Hill on October 25, 2009, 07:29:40 PM
Quote from: moysider on October 20, 2009, 11:10:26 PM
Should I leave well-enough alone?

Get it looked at. It wont get better on its own.

I had my first good run planned for yesterday after a long lay off. Did everything right, plenty of stretching beforehand, chaged my route so I ran downhill first to loosen up the legs, everything was going well until I twisted my ankle. Looks like at least another 2 weeks off.

Twisted ankle? That's noting to do with warm up etc. That's just stupidity.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

imtommygunn

That's a tad harsh Orior...

How did you twist it running? Were you running off-road?

Trevor Hill

Yes, I run through a forest. I used to start at the bottom and run up, but I developed plantar fasciitis, apparently I wasn't stretching enough, so I changed my route and went downhill first, so I was well loosened up for the uphill part of the run. Everything was going fine until a rabbit ran out in front of me. It isn't as bad as I feared yesterday, but its a kick in the teeth after being out for a couple of months.
I hate running on the road.

Orior

I would say that you shouldnt be running at a speed which is outside your ability to control motion. The fitter and stronger you are, then the quicker you can run.

For example, I would unfit people slip and hurt themselves on ice more often that fit people.

That said, it is a bit unfortunate when a rabbit jumps out, and I assume, you momentarily loose concentration.

imtommygunn

Would plantar fiscalis not come from more of a biomechanical problem than a lack of stretching?

Orior

What's everyone favourite distance and their personal best time?

ONeill

A mile.

Yet to break 7.30 mins.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

1984 - Belfast Marathon - 3 hrs 15 mins
1985 - Newry 10k - 34mins 20 secs  :)
1985 - North Belfast 15 mile - 1 hour 32 mins
2000 - Centenary mile - 6 mins 0 secs  :(

Trevor Hill

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 25, 2009, 09:32:42 PM
Would plantar fiscalis not come from more of a biomechanical problem than a lack of stretching?

We think it is caused by a very tight calf muscle in my case, though that may be a sypmtom of something else, possibly lower back pain.
I have been stretching 3 or 4 times a day over the last 3 weeks and it has improved immeasurably. I have also changed my route to allow my legs to loosen up even more before running uphill.

imtommygunn

1 mile: 4:51

5k: 18:12

5 mile: 32:25 (1 done when unfit so wouldn't read too much into it)

10k: 39 dead

Favourite distance 10k.

Nothing to rival Orior's there but 39 will be beat in 10k soon and half marathons and full marathons to be done next year...