Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GJL on January 04, 2013, 10:20:56 PM
Any of you tried spinning. Started it at the end of November and do it once a week. Tough stuff but good results.

Do it 3 times a week, it's tough and can get as tough as you want it to be, depending on the resistance you put on while doing it.

It's a serious cardio work out and at the gym I go to there classes is the morning (before work) and classes at night, very popular
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Jaysus ML you're lucky there are no girls on this thread "boohoo I can't stop losing weight!" A lot of people would love to be in your predicament.

I had been losing weight like mad and h ave put half a stone on in just over 2 weeks... Currently 14st and want to get down to 12.5. You're best bet is to eat like mad and do some kind of weights programme. If you're playing football you should be doing that anyway I would suggest to keep some lean muscle there and keep the strength up.

Minder

I have heard of a couple of fellas that go to a gym and then pay a personal trainer to devise some strict fitness and diet plan, £100 a week apparently. I saw the results for one of the fellas and they were really impressive.

Surely you could do this off your own bat without handing over that sort of dough and I can imagine you would slip a bit when you finish the programme. One of the fellas quit the programme as the diet was too tough but is still ploughing on with the workout.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

imtommygunn

Ml you hit about 100 calories a mile so you should eat 2.5 k plus 100 x no of miles to sustain weight...

The main time you lose the weight with the running is when the long runs go 1.5 - 2 hours.

I would be like mr and don't really watch what i eat. I can't get lower than 12 on ~40 mile a week.

Minder there are some good pt guys out there - though more bad than good. Fitness is about time and effort more than anything with the key point the routine so most people should be able to get themselves fit with the motivation. I have heard of some boys doing the same as what you talk about - the dieting on that is pretty extreme and the average joe wouldn't know about that. It all depends what you want. There would probably be a bit of vanity more than a desire to get fit in that £100 a week programme... £100 a week is ridiculous.

Minder

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 06, 2013, 10:58:44 PM
Ml you hit about 100 calories a mile so you should eat 2.5 k plus 100 x no of miles to sustain weight...

The main time you lose the weight with the running is when the long runs go 1.5 - 2 hours.

I would be like mr and don't really watch what i eat. I can't get lower than 12 on ~40 mile a week.

Minder there are some good pt guys out there - though more bad than good. Fitness is about time and effort more than anything with the key point the routine so most people should be able to get themselves fit with the motivation. I have heard of some boys doing the same as what you talk about - the dieting on that is pretty extreme and the average joe wouldn't know about that. It all depends what you want. There would probably be a bit of vanity more than a desire to get fit in that £100 a week programme... £100 a week is ridiculous.

I think you are right there, both of the fellas are also doing the sunbeds as far as I can see.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Bingo

Are these guys after the Jersey/Geordie Shore look or just trying to get fit and lose a bit of weight. 100 per week seems excessive when there is plenty of cheaper alternatives available i'd guess unless its body building they looking to replicate.

Took the plunge and signed up for the Connemarathon on the 7th April. Will be a tight one, me and hills will be getting very friendly in the coming months.

screenexile

£100 a week seems a bit ridiculous. A lad round our way is a Strength and Conditioning coach and is taking us for a couple of sessions a week. Serious weights but he's into technique and getting it right and I can't argue with him as the improvements I've had in 6 weeks are great. I imagine if you did something like that and had a proper diet (Why do you need people to tell you what to eat surely it's fairly obvious at this stage what you should eat) you'd be the next 'situation'.

moysider

I was down to 72 ks there before Christmas. From a high of about 82 about 4 years ago. Lightest and fittest I ve been in years.

Strange thing is that a blood test recently showed my cholestrol had gone up!

Putting it down to all the stuff I was craving with the marathon training - mars bars, cheese etc?

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: moysider on January 07, 2013, 12:17:31 PM

I was down to 72 ks there before Christmas. From a high of about 82 about 4 years ago. Lightest and fittest I ve been in years.

Putting it down to all the stuff I was craving with the marathon training - mars bars, cheese etc?

It's something I worry about, a lot of eggs etc
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 07, 2013, 01:19:47 PM

Show on TV the other day where a girl had 4 eggs a day for four weeks, apparently you have good and bad cholestrol and after the 4 weeks there was no difference in her bad cholestrol at all.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

I started running about 16 months ago, have never weighed myself in that time, I don't know what weight I am now or when I started. In that time I've been weighed 3 times but have never looked or asked what weight I am.

Not sure why or that and I know I have lost weight but it really wasn't about losing weight for me. I knew I would if i stuck at it but I see it as an added bonus and all part of the reward. That sounds very corny but just the way I see it.

Mayo4Sam

I thought if I got to 80kgs I'd be happy, which I am but I can still see where I could lose an extra few kg
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Canalman

From what I have been told ............... losing an inch from the waist is roughly  equal to losing a stone of weight.
Have probably posted this before but the best weight loss advice  I was given is to always have apples in the house and to try and eat one if the munchies strike late at night or in the evening.

Anyone who has ever played a team sport should easily have the discipline to lose weight imho. Problem is the difficulty in  now doing it all on your own and not as part of a team.

An Gaeilgoir

A couple of things,  i have gone from nearly 15 stone, down to 13.5 now, this is in the space of 7 months of running. I have to say i wouldn't like to lose any more anymore.

Over the Christmas, i went against all my objectives and am thinking of doing a marathon in 2014 i'd say. I am up to 12 miles a week, 2 boot camps and one hour spinning.

Are marathons tough out, i personally feel i have good distance in my legs, but my speed is slow, so i guess a marathon would suit me. I can do 7 miles (11.5 K) on the flat in just under the hour, and 9k seriously uphill road in 45-47 mins.

Any advice to get the ball rolling. Thanks

Finally, taking up serious exercise is the best thing i have ever done!

moysider

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 07, 2013, 02:29:05 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 07, 2013, 01:19:47 PM

Show on TV the other day where a girl had 4 eggs a day for four weeks, apparently you have good and bad cholestrol and after the 4 weeks there was no difference in her bad cholestrol at all.

That s the thing. Eggs got a bad press for years but in recent years there has been a review.

I don t eat much eggs - even though I ve ducks, quails, hens, geese around the place. But I d eat no more than 2 eggs a week because of the scary press about eggs in the past. Apparently duck eggs are even better for the good cholestrol bad cop balance. Provided they are fresh and need maybe to be cooked a bit harder - ducks tend to lay their eggs in muck! So samonella always flagged though I ve never come accross it. And bakers know that duck eggs are way better.

A goose egg of course is a rare treat - and as good as a fillet steak!

Here sausages and pork have always been seen as a cholestrol problem - but in France, lamb fat is considered worse. Steak being least threatening.

The worst of course is cheese, cakes and any bars and chocs.

As it happens my good cholestrol is very good but the bad creep has ........ well ......crept in.

I ll get back to ye about this after I have next test with the help of God. Already I have suspicions that what that you should eat is more important as the bad stuff you do eat.

You Must Eat; Porridge, Loads of 'fresh' fruit. Apparently the 'apple- a - day' thing was more than a rhyme - makes sense, people brought apples everywhere. Like we did with things that were good for us.  And veg. Nuts and seeds if ye can get them. And as many wild mushrooms as you can find. For pure taste.