Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

Quote from: laoislad on April 04, 2012, 01:47:19 PM
Im nowhere near even thinking about running anything like that! but do you have to be a member of a running club to enter these events?

if you said to me 5 months ago that i'd be thinking of running a 1/2 marathon i'd say you were mad. Just take it Gradually Laoislad and you will find it does get addictive. As for entering these events all you have to do is register no need to be a member of a club.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Denn Forever

Try out on a fun-run.  Are there any local to you?

If you are near Ballyjamesduff on 6th May there is a 5 km fun run/20km cycle event.

http://www.castlerahan.gaa.ie/club-videos
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on April 03, 2012, 06:08:14 PM
Quote from: muppet on April 03, 2012, 06:04:16 PM
Day 1 Week 1: Downloaded App.

I'll keep you updated.

I started on Day 1 again.
Downloaded a different app and it's much tougher than other. 60secs run 90secs walk for 30mins for week 1. Other app was 30secs run 4mins walk so was a bit too handy.
Day 1 Week 1 done last night 4.8km between running and walking in 33mins. Day 2 tomorrow night.

Day 1 week 1 85kgs

Decided to put it off as I haven't the right gear. Wife finds gear.
Crap.

No runners. Wife finds 12 year old but perfectly good runners. Crap.

Feet don't fit into runners. Surely your feet don't get fat as well? Got them in with encouragement from wife. Crap.

60/90 run/jog

I am everything every women complains about in a man.

MWWSI 2017

Bingo

Im nowhere near even thinking about running anything like that! but do you have to be a member of a running club to enter these events?

No need to be a member of any club or the like.

If i was you and to help the focus, I'd look at the event calender on runireland.com and target a 5km run near the end of your programme. Enter it and use that as a target/motivation. Its always easier to keep at it when committed to something. Plus running in an event, you'll surprise yourself and may actually enjoy it.

You don't have to shout from the rooftops that you'll be doing it, its for yourself and will be a PB regardless.

imtommygunn

The "races" are great to be part of and good for the focus. There are usually all ages, shapes and sizes there. When you start running there is always the fear of coming last in these things and looking silly. It is highly unlikely to happen though. Try one and you'd be amazed.

Most of running is the challenge to yourself and no-one else too. If or once you get into it then you can challenge your time each time you run etc but when you start just doing the event is the challenge. It's just about stepping stones and is where everyone starts.

ballinaman

Echo what the two lads have said above, don't worry about anyone else and just enjoy it. It'll be tough in the early stages but that'll soon pass and you'll be tipping along nicely before you know it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 04, 2012, 05:59:18 PM
I'm nowhere near even thinking about running anything like that! but do you have to be a member of a running club to enter these events?

The "races" are great to be part of and good for the focus. There are usually all ages, shapes and sizes there. When you start running there is always the fear of coming last in these things and looking silly. It is highly unlikely to happen though. Try one and you'd be amazed.

Most of running is the challenge to yourself and no-one else too. If or once you get into it then you can challenge your time each time you run etc but when you start just doing the event is the challenge. It's just about stepping stones and is where everyone starts.

So true, I found it difficult to work out pace when running outside on my own than what i was doing in the gym, but when you are with a crowd running it, it really spurs you on. I was surprised with my times after that.

I'm actually looking to do a triathlon in June FFS, and I wouldn't have thought I was good at swimming/,cycling or running!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Week 1 DONE.
How are Tony and muppet getting on?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on April 06, 2012, 09:46:25 PM
Week 1 DONE.
Haven't quite got round to starting yet  :-[

Had a chinese this evening, just ate a Caramel and have had the first sup of Guinness. Next week laoislad, next week.

muppet

Quote from: laoislad on April 06, 2012, 09:46:25 PM
Week 1 DONE.

Day 2 Week 1 done today.

Unlike you, I stuck with the zimmerframe slowly does it App. Boy am I glad I did.

Day 3 soon, will be grand.

Not looking forward to the step up from 60 secs to 90 secs next week.
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Right what apps are youse using?

The one I have is RunDouble

muppet

C25K Free (as in couch to 5k)
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Couch to 5k Active is the name of the one I have.
I even have a Army Drill Sargent roaring abuse at me if Im not doing it right though you can also have a sexy lady voice giving you advice during your run if you don't like being verbally abused by the army dude.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

cavan4sam

Maybe some of you lads might be interested in this.

25K Fun Challenge
Castlerahan GAA will host a 25K Fun Challenge and family fun day on Sunday, 6th May 2012 at Fay Park Ballyjamesduff, Co Cavan.

The race element of the day will begin at 12 p.m. sharp with a 5 kilometre run followed by a 20 kilometre cycle.  The start and finish lines for both elements of the challenge will be at Castlerahan GAA's grounds - Fay Park - in Ballyjamesduff.

Entry is open to individuals who wish to compete in both events or a team of two individuals; one to complete the run, the other the cycle. The emphasis on the day is fun and we anticipate that this will be a successful and well-run event which we would hope to make an annual occurrence.

The entry fees are as follows;

An individual adult competing in both events can do so for €15
    A team of two adults can compete for €20
    An individual juvenile (aged 14 to 18 years) competing in both events can do so for €10
    A team of two juveniles (both aged 14 to 18 years) can compete for €15

There will be prizes for the first finishing male and female adult individuals and adult team. There will also be prizes for the first finishing male and female juvenile individuals and juvenile team.

Showering facilities and refreshments will be provided to all competitors free of charge.

For more info on registration and routes visit: http://www.castlerahan.gaa.ie and follow the links.

Hope to see some of you there on the day.

Bingo

Ran the Mountpleasant 5km this afternoon outside Dundalk. Very wet but managed to do it in 19.57, so broke the 20 min mark for first time. Fairly happy with that.