Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on December 16, 2010, 09:45:28 PM
Always surprised when they overlook Kieran. He's a heartbeat of the St Gall's side. A fine playmaker. I suppose his age, pot belly and developing baldness may give the wrong impression.

Skinny rake!! no pot belly on him, in the genes ya see
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gold

2010 is over and the Antrim Leagues and Championship are long over.

I see on other county's threads they have picked the best 15 for 2010 in Div 1, Div 2 etc. Theres maybe not the numbers or interest on the Antrim thread to do this but anyone who wants to should give it a go.

I'm too lazy/hungover at present to do so but will think about it and do it later.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

imtommygunn

The only SFC match I made this year was the final.

Looking at that it would be hard to pick many outside St Galls.  Cargin didn't have too many stand outs on the day. St Brigids bound to have a few contenders though and maybe a few others. Anyone who's seen more comment?

I would say in division 2 rasharkin would have quite a few contenders. They've one or two in the county setup now who obviously impressed. Always thought Jonny McAleese was a great player too. He probably tortures defenses in division 2.

Kieran McGourty would merit a county place - maybe it's age though. Very clever footballer. Where has the creggan keeper Graham gone? Seems to have disappeared.

Simon Says

Totally agree, kieran mc gourty doesnt get as much recognition as the other two brothers, he is a very intelligent footballer, picks up breaking ball and st galls playmaker along with kelly makes them tick.

What does everyone make of the new additions to the panel for the year?

Glensman

Quote from: Gold on December 18, 2010, 02:39:45 PM
2010 is over and the Antrim Leagues and Championship are long over.

I see on other county's threads they have picked the best 15 for 2010 in Div 1, Div 2 etc. Theres maybe not the numbers or interest on the Antrim thread to do this but anyone who wants to should give it a go.

I'm too lazy/hungover at present to do so but will think about it and do it later.

My team (for what its worth and incorporating league and championship, what little of it I saw):

1. ANother
2. Colm Brady
3. Aaron Douglas
4. Kevin O'Boyle
5. Anto Healy
6. Sean Kelly
7. McAleese (Portglenone)
8. Mick McCann
9. Paul Doherty
10. James Loughrey
11. Kevin Niblock
12. Mark Sweeney
13. P Cunnigham
14. Mark Dougan
15. Bam Neeson

Simon Says

1.kerr/o neill
2.brady
3.mc clean
4.o boyle
5.healy
6. crozier
7. loughrey
8. mick mc cann
9. gallagher
10. o neill
11.niblock
12. kevin mc gourty
13. cunningham
14.cj mc gourty
15.magill/burke(out to play 3rd midfielder), tomas mc cann.

Would be a solid team to play against donegal come championship, goalkeeper position is up for grabs between both lads. rest of team picks itself, its time to get rid of scullion, runs down too many blind alleys, more concerned with getting involved with opponent, kicks away to much possession. healy is much more comfortable on the ball, id like to see mc clean play at chb as he is a ball player but we cant take him out from the edge of the square.

Glensman

I assume that's your suggested Antrim 15, which while a good team isn't a Division 1/Division 2 selection - quite a few of them played less than a handful of league games!

Agree re Scullion.

Milltown Row2

too many players from the same teams (Cargin/Galls) both sets of players have a serious unhealthy dislike of each other. Can't be a good thing IMHO

How many Crokes players play Kerry? and Cross haw many have they got for Armagh? and how many Nemo players play for Cork? Tyrone have a very broad slection of clubs representing the county team.

I also agreee on Scullion though ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Simon Says

But they are the best footballers in the county, nothing can be done about that, have to go with our strongest 15 regardless of there clubs.

everyone can see it regarding scullion, good athlete, pace etc. but the game is gaelic football, no football brain and kicking possession away which we have to fight hard for.

what other players are out there though milltown?

Simon Says

Any toughts ahead of sunday's game in cross?

imtommygunn

Did some boy from Tyrone get called into the panel? Who is he / what's the connection? Some ONeill fella or am I wrong here?

Hard to say - very new panel. McKenna cup for trying new players so hopefuly we can get a few potential starters for the championship.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 06, 2011, 12:44:06 PM
Did some boy from Tyrone get called into the panel? Who is he / what's the connection? Some ONeill fella or am I wrong here?

Hard to say - very new panel. McKenna cup for trying new players so hopefuly we can get a few potential starters for the championship.
dean o'niell from omagh is on the antrim panel, not sure what the connection is, but hes a decent footballer.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

the colonel

From County site

The team to play Armagh this Sunday is:

Sean O Neill

Colin Brady
Andy Mc Lean
Kevin O Boyle  Capt

Tony Scullion
Justin Crozier
Terry O Neill

Brendan Herron
Aodhan Gallagher

Dean O Neill
Mark Sweeney
Mark Mc Aleese

Paddy Cunningham
C J Mc Gourty
Kevin Brady

Chris Kerr
Mark Dougan
Anto Healey
Richard Johnson
James Lavery
Dermott Mc Cann
Tomas Mc Cann
Kevin Niblock

the difference between success and failure is energy

imtommygunn

I'd prefer to see more experimentation particularly at FF.

Our HF line has been quite poor so to experiment there is good to see.

Lavery is Cargin isn't he? Who is Johson?

Simon Says

lads, apart from m.mc cann and k.mc gourty, the squad looks relatively weakened compared to the last few seasons?