Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

City Dweller

Quote from: Spike on October 19, 2022, 12:44:07 PM
Hope so, always felt like a natural order that didn't need to be changed.    though i wouldn't be against u18 1/2, u16 1/2 ....... as it seemed to balance school years and their peers out a bit better.   

It should be school year up until the end of primary school at least.

However for next weeks meeting Antrim should definitely go back to U12,14,16 and 18. - Let those who are U18 (not U17) play up if required/good enough.

EOC1923

Quote from: City Dweller on October 19, 2022, 01:38:57 PM
Hope so, always felt like a natural order that didn't need to be changed.    though i wouldn't be against u18 1/2, u16 1/2 ....... as it seemed to balance school years and their peers out a bit better.   

It should be school year up until the end of primary school at least.

However for next weeks meeting Antrim should definitely go back to U12,14,16 and 18. - Let those who are U18 (not U17) play up if required/good enough.
That option isn't on offer, you go u18 and those 18 if good enough aren't permitted to play adult football.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on October 19, 2022, 01:05:16 PM
Quote from: barnish oggie on October 19, 2022, 12:25:12 PM
Quote from: Saffsof82 on October 19, 2022, 11:29:36 AM
Quote from: antrimman667 on October 19, 2022, 11:08:43 AM
Is the age groups being changed to u12, u14, u16, u18 next year?

Theres a clubs meeting next week to discuss it.

Fingers crossed they go for it, as I think it needs to change back to the old way.

If a county wants to revert back to U18 for minor then all 18yo's won't be able to play in adult competitions...

That's daft, IMO of course
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

barnish oggie

I would agree with the 1/2 age groups as well.

Primary School currently is that way for Go Games as it takes the class group rather than age.

U12 changes it to the age group but i would still be in favour of the 1/2 grouping continuing.

I have never agreed that someone born 31st December and someone born 1st January can be in the same class at school and play for the same school team but for their own club one has to move up and age level.

And make it that if you are 18 and above you are allowed to play senior.

Although I think there are only the select few that truly should be playing senior at that age if not needed to make up the numbers.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: barnish oggie on October 19, 2022, 02:30:10 PM

Primary School currently is that way for Go Games as it takes the class group rather than age.

U12 changes it to the age group but i would still be in favour of the 1/2 grouping continuing.

I have never agreed that someone born 31st December and someone born 1st January can be in the same class at school and play for the same school team but for their own club one has to move up and age level.

Although I think there are only the select few that truly should be playing senior at that age if not needed to make up the numbers.

Why though? Small rural clubs might not have the bigger numbers to pull from so playing 18 year old lads is the norm. But ok to play them if their birthday falls on the 31st of Dec while their mate who's birthday falls differently can't!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

barnish oggie

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 19, 2022, 02:41:02 PM
Quote from: barnish oggie on October 19, 2022, 02:30:10 PM

Why though? Small rural clubs might not have the bigger numbers to pull from so playing 18 year old lads is the norm. But ok to play them if their birthday falls on the 31st of Dec while their mate who's birthday falls differently can't!

My point is that there are really only a select few that are truly good enough to be on a senior team at 18 but many are brought up to make up the numbers.

Being from a "small rural club" i understand the necessity to bring younger players up.

My point is that some are brought up before they are physically and mentally ready, due to the senior team being short of numbers.

It happens and will continue to happen, just my opinion on what i see myself.

So while trying to be obtuse you aren't really disagreeing with me there.

And the last point doesn't make sense.

If one lad turns 18 on 31st December he becomes eligible and then if his mate turns 18 on 3rd March, he then becomes eligible.

So once you turn 18 you are eligible.

Not that hard to follow I would have thought so what is your point?

country bumpkin

Under 18s are allowed to play at senior level if minor grade changes to u-18.
At present minor, u-17 can not play at adult level....

Saffsof82

Because u17 was "decoupled" from senior our minors have got more games than usual and with less called off because there is no push from the senior or reserve manager for those players to turn out. If you went back to just a straight u18 without decoupling from adult competitions less games would be played, so the people who actually suffer are the weaker young players who aren't getting senior and having their own games moved, postponed and eventually cancelled because the adult coaches have borrowed 2 or 3 star lads. Let the kids play out their juvenile days, plenty of time to play adult football for the rest of their lives.

EOC1923

Quote from: country bumpkin on October 19, 2022, 03:01:52 PM
This is not what Croke Park are advising, a change by any county back to u18 will be on the basis they bring in a law preventing 18 year olds playing adult football. Decoupling as suchhh

johnnycool

Quote from: EOC1923 on October 19, 2022, 03:14:17 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on October 19, 2022, 03:01:52 PM
This is not what Croke Park are advising, a change by any county back to u18 will be on the basis they bring in a law preventing 18 year olds playing adult football. Decoupling as suchhh

That's my understanding of it as well.

Hobsons choice for us in a small, rural club.

HealthySaff

When is the next online bullying abusive / saffron voice podcast out?

These 2 have no place in the GAA community, To call a young lad a RAT and abuse him online is unacceptable.

The  County PRO is one of the youngest in Ireland and does his very best to promote Antrim GAA and the clubs.
He volunteers his time.
He isn't paid  and  because he blocks the pair from twitter for constant negative comments they run a hate campaign against him.

Put your 2 names down and run against him at convention. To do this you will need to become a member of a club.

Stick that on your locked twitter account boys! Bullies and trolls wont win!

Sportacus

I hope we go back to U18.  99% of the minors I've seen play in the last year are nowhere near ready for senior panel.  Why they ever changed it in the first place is beyond me. There's something completely wrong with how the GAA makes it's decisions.

country bumpkin

Quote from: Sportacus on October 19, 2022, 11:25:35 PM
I hope we go back to U18.  99% of the minors I've seen play in the last year are nowhere near ready for senior panel.  Why they ever changed it in the first place is beyond me. There's something completely wrong with how the GAA makes it's decisions.

Our Association was founded on the basis of members calling the shots
All change emanates from the club's and reaching the central body via the provincial route.
Our Association was founded on the basis all change would flow from the bottom to the top but such has long been lost.
And now all comes from in the opposite route, top to bottom with highly paid individuals deciding on direction and all rule change....
All County secretaries are employed by the central body and are required to tow the Croke Park line....

barnish oggie

Quote from: country bumpkin on October 20, 2022, 08:25:32 AM

All change emanates from the club's and reaching the central body via the provincial route.
Our Association was founded on the basis all change would flow from the bottom to the top but such has long been lost.
And now all comes from in the opposite route, top to bottom with highly paid individuals deciding on direction and all rule change....
All County secretaries are employed by the central body and are required to tow the Croke Park line....

Well put cb

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on October 20, 2022, 08:25:32 AM

If you are actually a member of a club then you have the right to do that, if you are not a member of a club, any club then you have no say in such matters

If the will is there by the clubs then the delegates from the County will go with a motion to put in for a change

From any conversations I've had with mentors of that level its been an overwhelming majority to go back to what we had before, its not perfect, nothing is or there will always be someone unhappy, they generally are ones only concerned with how it effects their own interests and not the majority.

Not sure, if voted on, how quick it will resume, anyone got timelines on this?