Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Galer

Think its going to an all south west final? Thoughts?mr2?

Milltown Row2

Ports v Cargin, bannside should be happy
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Afraid not MR2. We need to find a way of beating your own illustrious Milltown men before entertain such lofty ambitions. Great draw for us though....nothing to lose again and all that!

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on February 14, 2017, 12:13:55 AM
Afraid not MR2. We need to find a way of beating your own illustrious Milltown men before entertain such lofty ambitions. Great draw for us though....nothing to lose again and all that!
Cannot figure out the draw on senior championship.............this is the third year of the seeding system and again a different application.

Can u explain how a seeding system operates BS when three of the entrants which were unseeded received respective places in the quarter finals whereas three of the seeded teams are to participate in preliminary round games.

Can I look forward to a Cargin v Creggan final ;)

Only in Antrim :)

country bumpkin

Quote from: Galer on February 13, 2017, 01:48:27 PM
Will cargin not b trying to win the o cahan this year cb
Sorry to say Galer Cargin will not be focusing on the O' Cahan cup 2017......................well that is what I am hearing.

bannside

Focusing on Ulster this year instead CB where maybe youse might get a decent game of it!

Hectic

Yeah looking at the draw (in the order they appear) - at Junior level I would say we will probably know the winner after quarter final D when Ardoyne play the winners of Sarsfields and O'Donnell's. Have to say I am surprised that Antrim are in Intermediate this year - fair play to them for giving it a go but there is a big gap between Div 3 and Div 2 and as such I would have thought that they would have used a Div 2 campaign to try and have themselves toughened up for another crack at the Junior Championship after coming close a couple of times lately.  Anyway I will tip Ardoyne (just) after overcoming a tough examination from Sarsfields.

And speaking of Intermediate - I fancied Ballymena before the draw and no disrespect to Glenravel but they have virtually been given a bye to the semi final where they will probably meet one of St Enda's and St Brigids.  If they overcome either of these sides I cannot see anyone in the other half of the draw troubling them in the final.  That said should come with the massive caveat that Intermediate often sees unfancied teams prevail.

Senior - hard to look past semis featuring Creggan v St Galls and St Johns v Cargin - all too familiar really and the smart money will be on yet another Galls Cargin final (yawn).  I appreciate that St Johns and Creggan will feel that they have been improving year on year and reaching a point that they can cause an upset but not for me yet as the big two still have far too much know how.

Galer

Cb cargin would need to watch they dont get 2 far in from of themselves you might find that a lot of teams will be catching the mighty toome men faster than u think.i hear the ts express is flat out doing extra training.quite unlike him at this stage of the year.

Galer

Junior-Ardoyne
Inter- Bmena
Senior-Creggan

country bumpkin

Quote from: Galer on February 14, 2017, 09:53:32 AM
Cb cargin would need to watch they dont get 2 far in from of themselves you might find that a lot of teams will be catching the mighty toome men faster than u think.i hear the ts express is flat out doing extra training.quite unlike him at this stage of the year.
Dunno what u mean Galer.............Cargin in front of themselves?
Of course Cargin do realise they have a huge bulls eye emblazoned on their proverbial back for as long as I remember in the S West, and we still lead the way .........how many times has the O' Cahan cup been is residency at Toome?
TS is a one off and following a year in which he endured major surgery he is ensuring that he will be ready for another year and quite a few to follow..........as for extra training I think he has discovered an appetite for running and in such he is certainly up with the pace ;)

delgany

CB   Top four teams were seeded to avoid each other to QF.
But being seeded did not equate to a bye in the preliminary round !

country bumpkin

Quote from: delgany on February 14, 2017, 11:28:26 AM
CB   Top four teams were seeded to avoid each other to QF.
But being seeded did not equate to a bye in the preliminary round !
You may well be right delgany but in three years of 'seeding' in the county a different format was employed each time..........and again, 'only in Antrim'  :)

paddyjohn

Quote from: Hectic on February 14, 2017, 09:11:18 AM
Yeah looking at the draw (in the order they appear) - at Junior level I would say we will probably know the winner after quarter final D when Ardoyne play the winners of Sarsfields and O'Donnell's. Have to say I am surprised that Antrim are in Intermediate this year - fair play to them for giving it a go but there is a big gap between Div 3 and Div 2 and as such I would have thought that they would have used a Div 2 campaign to try and have themselves toughened up for another crack at the Junior Championship after coming close a couple of times lately.  Anyway I will tip Ardoyne (just) after overcoming a tough examination from Sarsfields.

And speaking of Intermediate - I fancied Ballymena before the draw and no disrespect to Glenravel but they have virtually been given a bye to the semi final where they will probably meet one of St Enda's and St Brigids.  If they overcome either of these sides I cannot see anyone in the other half of the draw troubling them in the final.  That said should come with the massive caveat that Intermediate often sees unfancied teams prevail.

Senior - hard to look past semis featuring Creggan v St Galls and St Johns v Cargin - all too familiar really and the smart money will be on yet another Galls Cargin final (yawn).  I appreciate that St Johns and Creggan will feel that they have been improving year on year and reaching a point that they can cause an upset but not for me yet as the big two still have far too much know how.

Junior I think its hard to look past Ardoyne or Sarsfields.

Bit disprectful there to Glenravel Hectic. Local derby and anything can happen. Fair play to Antrim, a club who aren't scared to take on a challenge.

Cargin again for the senior I think.

Hectic

Yeah though if I am correct Antrim have been in 2 of the last 3/4 Junior Finals so would maybe have been good to take that step first but yeah ballsy all the same.  Plus I do not think anyone would have batted an eyelid had they been playing Div 2 but entered in the Junior.  Likewise surprised that Glenavy opted for the Senior Championship as they will be nowhere near it and again would have good grounds to be playing Intermediate.

I genuinely mean no disrespect to Glenravel though I appreciate that is exactly how it sounds but Ballymena held their own against St Johns for long periods in the senior championship last season whereas Glenravel will be warming up with games against Mitchells, Eire Og, Lisburn etc (again no disrespect meant).  I honestly cannot see how this will be anything other than a comfortable victory for Ballymena.