Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreen

Quote from: CSC on February 10, 2015, 06:49:37 PM
Quote from: frostbit on February 10, 2015, 06:29:57 PM
I wouldn't be as harsh as to blame the Antrim schools for the fact that we are and have been in such a bad way with the exception of our Ulster run (when we beat a terrible Donegal and a terrible Cavan).

Its more of a holistic problem from coaching, lack of tradition, lack of success, poor administration, lack of clubs being competitive st the very top etc. The school scene is part of that jigsaw without a doubt but hardly the biggest culprits.

St Mary's are a hurling school. Rathmore hasn't any tradition. St Malachy's of late havent had much GAA interest not at the top level anyway and the rest of the schools wouldn't have either the numbers of the GAA interest.

Maghera was formed in '64 and within 10 years had built up a tradition of excellence for Gaelic games. Many in Derry point to St Pat's as one of the main reasons why Derry football improved, as the school helped develop players from the North (Dungivin, Banagher, Ballerin, Glenullin) and teams from the south (Glen, Swatragh, S'neil, Lavey, Bellaghy, Castledawson, Newbridge, Ballinscreen, Greenlough)

This was lead directly by the school, but the power of schools football is immense

Maghera cant really be compared to Grammar schools in county Antrim as they had the ability to take children within their catchment area unlike St Louis for example who took in those who passed the 11+.  I attended St Louis from 93-2000, in the that time we had some success at B college level and many of one those side were part of the 2 Antrim minor teams which reached the Ulster final.  The school was a soccer school at that time due to one of the PE Teachers being a soccer man and only had success due to an influx of Gaelic lads and a few teachers(non PE), i know things have changed recently with a greater GAA push.  McLarnon semi finals this year on the back of a Herald final defeat last year and victory in Corn Comcille bear testament to this.

Schools can only do so much as the clubs should have shaped players before they arrive there in my opinion but as stated before if for example Saint Louis had have been able to gather up pupils from a catchment area in my time with the lads i knew from Our Lady of Lourdes, St Pats and St Olcans we would have been an A college.

CSC

Quote from: Dreen on February 11, 2015, 12:47:26 PM
Quote from: CSC on February 10, 2015, 06:49:37 PM
Quote from: frostbit on February 10, 2015, 06:29:57 PM
I wouldn't be as harsh as to blame the Antrim schools for the fact that we are and have been in such a bad way with the exception of our Ulster run (when we beat a terrible Donegal and a terrible Cavan).

Its more of a holistic problem from coaching, lack of tradition, lack of success, poor administration, lack of clubs being competitive st the very top etc. The school scene is part of that jigsaw without a doubt but hardly the biggest culprits.

St Mary's are a hurling school. Rathmore hasn't any tradition. St Malachy's of late havent had much GAA interest not at the top level anyway and the rest of the schools wouldn't have either the numbers of the GAA interest.

Maghera was formed in '64 and within 10 years had built up a tradition of excellence for Gaelic games. Many in Derry point to St Pat's as one of the main reasons why Derry football improved, as the school helped develop players from the North (Dungivin, Banagher, Ballerin, Glenullin) and teams from the south (Glen, Swatragh, S'neil, Lavey, Bellaghy, Castledawson, Newbridge, Ballinscreen, Greenlough)

This was lead directly by the school, but the power of schools football is immense

Maghera cant really be compared to Grammar schools in county Antrim as they had the ability to take children within their catchment area unlike St Louis for example who took in those who passed the 11+.  I attended St Louis from 93-2000, in the that time we had some success at B college level and many of one those side were part of the 2 Antrim minor teams which reached the Ulster final.  The school was a soccer school at that time due to one of the PE Teachers being a soccer man and only had success due to an influx of Gaelic lads and a few teachers(non PE), i know things have changed recently with a greater GAA push.  McLarnon semi finals this year on the back of a Herald final defeat last year and victory in Corn Comcille bear testament to this.

Schools can only do so much as the clubs should have shaped players before they arrive there in my opinion but as stated before if for example Saint Louis had have been able to gather up pupils from a catchment area in my time with the lads i knew from Our Lady of Lourdes, St Pats and St Olcans we would have been an A college.

You can compare St Pat's with Antrim schools, because they play in colleges against Colmans, Abbey, Omagh, Dungannon, who are all the same as St Louis.

I think what you will find is the secret of sucess, is down to teachers really putting an effort in the promotion of GAA within the schools.

For example, in St Pat's, 80% of PE classes from 1-3rd year was gaelic football. Each class started with 10 mins coaching and finished up in a game. Each game was stopped when the teacher wanted to point out a coaching opportunity. In 1st year, we had the 1st year league, which was contested as seriously as you would a MacRory cup. This system established a "Maghera Way" of playing football which matured during the MacRory years.

Maghera also host a P7 championship. This is a way of looking at talent coming into the school, and in an indirect way, selling the school to some football mad kid who might want to go to  a different school.

These are lessons that Antrim schools can learn from. The talent pool in Derry is good, but the commitment to Gaelic games, and to excellence in Maghera was second to none.

CSC

Quote from: frostbit on February 11, 2015, 08:11:47 AM
I see you've been on the county guestbook, CSC?

Not me, but I've read the post you are talking about.

I do read the county guestbook, and posted in the past, but got very dissapointed at the negatitivy when someone suggests a different way of doing things, so I stopped posting a couple of years back

Dreen

Im not doubting St Pats at all and IMO the clubs there pupils came from are top clubs but you cannot seriously compare a school which took pupils in no matter what grade they had in the 11+ against a school who only took in passes.  You can compare them to Colmans etc fair enough and i said it when i was at school that alot of clubs in Antrim cared nothing for colleges football and that the schools and county board didnt care much either. 

CSC

Quote from: Dreen on February 11, 2015, 04:27:27 PM
Im not doubting St Pats at all and IMO the clubs there pupils came from are top clubs but you cannot seriously compare a school which took pupils in no matter what grade they had in the 11+ against a school who only took in passes.  You can compare them to Colmans etc fair enough and i said it when i was at school that alot of clubs in Antrim cared nothing for colleges football and that the schools and county board didnt care much either.
In my opinion, school size is the only factor where you shouldn't compare schools. I believe St Pat's take in around 75-100 boys each year. It doesn't matter if they are in the grammar or secondary path. 100 boys in a school year 'v' 50,  is an obvious advantage.

Your point around clubs / county board not caring for colleges football. If St Louis ever got to a MacRory final, the attitude would be significantly different.

One point that you didn't make but is really valid for most Antrim schools, is the hurling / football divide. St Louis' pick to the North of the school is Rasharkin, Dunloy, Glenraval, with Dunloy and L'guile hurling, and  then Ballymena, Stinstons, and a few Creggan / Tir na Nog. All these clubs have hurling and football.

St Pat's is surrounded by Glen, Glenullin, Castledawson, Greenlough, Bellaghy, Kilrea, Cargin, who are football only, aswell as the dual clubs of Lavey, screen, Dungiven, Swatagh, S'neil.   

Dreen

didnt even want to start into the hurling/football divide but i meant both codes when saying there wasnt much interest.  We had a good hurling man as a PE Teacher but he didnt have any support.

again i cant get your point even in numbers, of the 75 boys in my year 50 of them didnt even play sport never mind football, we had a great club minor team and there were 2 of that side at St Louis now if there had been no 11+ we would possibly could have had 7 or more.

as for getting to MacRory final, i cant agree with that we got to 2 mclarnon finals and an All ireland B colleges final and it didnt do much, yes its B colleges but you just dont rock into Macrory football you have to build towards it.

Saint Louis at the minute IMO are building as there is a greater focus on all Gaelic games, better facilities and gear as well.  Takes a GAA minded principal and many GAA teachers, you are saying about MacRory but id take a McLarnon firstly and build from there.

FullForward72

Any refs on here lads looking a game in belfast on sunday?

themac_23

Quote from: FullForward72 on February 13, 2015, 12:19:56 PM

who's taking you's this year FF?

FullForward72

Quote from: themac_23 on February 13, 2015, 12:24:51 PM

Same management as last year mac

themac_23

Quote from: FullForward72 on February 13, 2015, 12:50:07 PM
Quote from: themac_23 on February 13, 2015, 12:24:51 PM

Same management as last year mac

good stuff, im sure theyll build on momentum from last few seasons.

SaffronHeart

Frostbit why would it be 3 down 1 up??? are the leagues being restructured again?

SaffronHeart

No 4 teams of 8 was only a hurling motion. Not sure what the story is for the football leagues can anyone enlighten me. Hearing all sorts of rumours that county are going to change it to 3 divisions, County website has 4 divisions though. Clarification needed.

themac_23

Quote from: frostbit on February 15, 2015, 09:57:44 PM
As I said, I haven't much a clue about the goings on at county level but surely to change from 4 leagues to 3 would require a motion at convention?

It would, but sometimes circumstances dictate, the only thing i can see keeping a div 4 is the participation of Aghagllon and Glenravel 2nds, if they weren't there then div 4 would not be a division worth having.

themac_23

I see going by the county guestbook the make up of Div 3/4 is being discussed tonight at CCC meeting, i assume this is what the hold up with fixtures was.

bannside

I attended the health and wellbeing seminar today, organised by the county, at Dunsilly. Credit to everyone involved - there is a lot of really good work going on behind the scenes that often goes unnoticed.

The subjects discussed ranged from social inclusion, depression/suicide awareness, gambling problems, and that was just the start.

Without doubt the GAA has a hugely influential role as the eyes and ears of the community. In fact the GAA is the standout organisation in the country for rolling out grassroots initiatives, such as this most worthwhile one which emanated from an idea in Strabane club by Ciaran Mc Laughlin, and has gone through convention and is in process of being extended up and down the country in the coming months and years.

Sometimes we are too hard on ourselves. At its best the GAA is one fantastic organisation.