Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

country bumpkin

South West clubs make nomination MR2........per respective club committees and no player involvement.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: country bumpkin on November 14, 2014, 02:07:21 PM
South West clubs make nomination MR2........per respective club committees and no player involvement.

So the SW chairman picks it? he'll hardly be at all the games surely, explain how the winner is picked?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

As I said MR2 all of the South West club committees are to nominate a player whom they deem 'player of the year', and the individual who gains the highest number of votes takes it............................
???

paddyjohn

Anybody know the football panel for 2015?

JimStynes

I always thought a good way to pick player of the year for each league was for the ref to give votes. Similar to aussie rules format. Ref sends in his report with 3 points for best player on the day, 2 points for 2nd best and 1 point for 3rd best. Count them up at end of the year and see who comes out on top. Probably be a lot of work and hassle for club level. County level might work though.

bannside

Big shout out to everyone involved in the match for Anto tonight. Can't actually make it  myself (had the tickets bought) as our club dinner dance is on tonight but we will be making a collection for this most worthy cause.

Kevin Madden article in today's Irish News just about sums it up. Its a great must see piece of writing worthy of this occasion and stings with emotion.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: mickey80 on November 15, 2014, 05:31:28 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 14, 2014, 01:48:30 PM
Not a bad thing but you'd be surprised at the lack of knowledge managers/players would have of opposing players

That's kind of the reason I was calling it crazy.  I would very rarely get the chance to watch other clubs playing due to being at all of my own club's games and I'm sure that would apply to most members of clubs.  I'm not a huge fan of players of the year and that malarky.  Our club still gives them out from Under 8 right up to senior.  For the one person you make very happy, it runs the risk of disappointing another 5 or 6 or sometimes more which could lead to controversy and animosity.  If you preach teamship and team effort, then why reward individuals?  (An no its not a sore point with me - received a fair few myself lol)

At every grade myself also but would hand them all back to win a senior hurling championship medal!! Yeah I can see the why its done in fairness, can propel players to better levels, can be used to (certainly at juvenile levels) reward the hard working player who doesn't take the plaudits but is every bit as important as the 'star' man
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brendanbelfast

Bannside  - I was at the Game For Anto last night, it was a terrific occasion all round. A few observations, the Dubs going forward ar a joy to watch. Even in mid November, during what was essentially a challenge match, their pace if lightening quick,

There were some great passages of play, doe great skills on show and well taken scores. Jamie Clarke is a delight to watch too. From our point of view, Mick McCann stood out, he more than held his own in midfield and chipped in with 1.1, the goal was a brilliant strike at the end of a solo run more associated with his younger brother. KOBO when he came on shone as well, cut out some great balls headed the way of Kevin McManamon.McKeever did ok when on, plenty of running and Paddy C chipped in with a cheeky point when he came on. I know it was a challenge game, but better to see Antrim players playing well than badly.

One thing I was disappointed with was the size of the crowd. I know the media are reporting on the 'the great support' etc, but 6,000? I thought more people would have shown up. I know there are conflicting events (a dinner dance is a fair reason...) but honestly I can hardly think of a reason no tot have been there.

As for Ravenhill, great venue and the security staff / stewards....a permanent smile on their faces and 'can I help you?' on the lips. Very enjoyable night.

manballandall

Do all grounds not belong to the GAA ie. croke park?

Peileadoir

Down to the last 4 now in the U-21 Championship. I think someone predicted from the outset it would be L Dhearg v Portglenone and Johnnies v Enda's in the semis and that's how it turned out. Easy wins for Lamhs and Johnnies in the 1/4's as expected but Portglenone and Enda's had it much tougher in their matches with a late goal getting Portglenone over the line against a St. Brigid's team without their best player and an Enda's team with 12 minors being taken to extra time. Looks like a repeat of the minor final of 3 years ago with L Dhearg v Johnnies in the final.

country bumpkin

Think that we (the Antrim clubs) would have been better served to put all of our energies into building a stadium in the centre of our county (in Antrim or on the land which we own in Randalstown), using the capital which the sale of the Casement site would generate.............bet there won't be as many protestations or open hands extended in such circumstance.....

themac_23

Quote from: hardstation on November 17, 2014, 10:56:37 PM
Aye, somewhere like Dunsilly? That'd be just great so it would now. Just great.

Really HS can't see your point, dunsily was a great, well thought out project from our CB. The swiftness in how quickly it was completed was not only impressive but has to applauded....

Seriously though, on dunsily, I genuinely feel sorry for st comhgalls, the pitch they are playing on at the minute is brutal and not fit for senior football, seems they will be waiting a while on the use of a pitch they were promised and also, if memory serves me right put money towards?

country bumpkin

themac_23

Quote from: hardstation on November 18, 2014, 09:19:49 AM
Quote from: themac_23 on November 18, 2014, 09:09:48 AM
Quote from: hardstation on November 17, 2014, 10:56:37 PM
Aye, somewhere like Dunsilly? That'd be just great so it would now. Just great.

Really HS can't see your point, dunsily was a great, well thought out project from our CB. The swiftness in how quickly it was completed was not only impressive but has to applauded....

Seriously though, on dunsily, I genuinely feel sorry for st comhgalls, the pitch they are playing on at the minute is brutal and not fit for senior football, seems they will be waiting a while on the use of a pitch they were promised and also, if memory serves me right put money towards?
Is this post not somewhat contradictory??

No HS you must have picked it up wrong, i was being sarcastic, the fact that heads have not rolled regarding dunsily is a farce, we are still footing a bill for something that has completely stopped while another massive project in casement is undertaken leaving dunsily getting into a worse state. Only in Antrim can this happem.

brendanbelfast

With this amount of disaffection it will be interesting to peruse the volume and variety of nominations from clubs for the key positions on County Executive. All zero of them.