Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 11, 2013, 11:05:45 PM
Why don't we send the team packing also, they were dreadful by all accounts, would have been a while since we knocked up a 1-12 in championship football. And we have been the laughing stock of football for years

Jesus ye haven't been that bad over the last 5 years, Reached an Ulster Final in 09 I think? Got successive promotions under Baker Bradley too. He got Antrim gaining some respect I thought? Beat Galway last year aswell

Although, ye have some talented players like CJ McGourty who wan't play County asaik? Great player,
Dawson should never have dropped the McCanns, excellent footballers. Scullion is a useful half back aswell. Loughrey moving to Cork was a loss too.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: rodney trotter on June 11, 2013, 11:18:19 PM
Why don't we send the team packing also, they were dreadful by all accounts, would have been a while since we knocked up a 1-12 in championship football. And we have been the laughing stock of football for years

Jesus ye haven't been that bad over the last 5 years, Reached an Ulster Final in 09 I think? Got successive promotions under Baker Bradley too. He got Antrim gaining some respect I thought? Beat Galway last year aswell

Although, ye have some talented players like CJ McGourty who wan't play County asaik? Great player,
Dawson should never have dropped the McCanns, excellent footballers. Scullion is a useful half back aswell. Loughrey moving to Cork was a loss too.

Galway have been dung, and the team that played in the Ulster final is not the same team that played on Sunday. we've had successive relegation's also and back to where we belong
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on June 12, 2013, 08:09:51 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 11, 2013, 11:39:35 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on June 11, 2013, 11:18:19 PM

Galway have been dung, and the team that played in the Ulster final is not the same team that played on Sunday. we've had successive relegation's also and back to where we belong

No we didn't and sorry, Milltown, but we are better than Div 4. Dawson brought us to Div 4.

Also, IMO, the team were not that bad on Sunday but they were very badly let down by having to play a system which was never going to win them the match. They were left embarrassed by Dawson. I believe that if Baker had been managing us on Sunday, we'd not have been far away.

Fact is, you don't give a flying fcuk about our county footballers, Milltown, and you are blindly supporting Frank Dawson because he was a St. Gall's man.

Since he has taken over, he has created a fcukin mess and we are going backwards at a rate of knots.
It is time to stop this.

So we are in div 4 but shouldn't be there? Maybe not successive relegation's but very close to, I don't think during the league we used that defensive system. The players left and that's up to them, they left the Antrim panel but the manager gets it in the neck?? In most counties the players play for their county, not the manager. They should not have left the panel because of a disagreement with the manager, I've played for many managers, some I got on with others not so much, but I never missed a session/match or didn't try in every game because of who was in charge.

Fact is you know fcuk all about me and what I really like, at no point in my posts did i defend Dawson's tactics.

Be he a Galls man or not makes no difference to me. Bring Whitey back sure, he was decent manager and will bring us back up the leagues
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on June 12, 2013, 09:53:06 AM
If you honestly believe that another manager couldn't do any better than Frank Dawson has done, with the same crop of players, fair enough - there would be no point in getting rid of him.

I think that is totally ridiculous though.

So you think that a manager would be able to fix what happened during the league? To lose that many players before the league and then during it, also bring players into the panel at the end of the league and expect them to be up to the standard!! You think that another manager would have got closer than 5 points or possibly won? Glorious defeats are just that, defeats. 13 men behind the ball was wrong not changing it when they were a man down was wrong, but not having your full compliment of players due to disagreements isn't going to help your cause.

ck

Lads, yee are splitting hairs here. I'm in Belfast quite a bit with family and have taken in quite a few Antrim games over the last few years. The deterioration this season has been something shocking. The fact is that everything has contributed, players not playing, players leaving, players coming back late, ex players mouthing off in the papers. It all contributes to Antrim not being able to compete in the championship. I watched the game on TV, it was appalling. Dawsons comments after the game shocked me to.

Final point from me. Who is this anti-christ McGourty who mouths off in the papers? As far as I can see he is a twisted so and so who simply wants a good row. Any lad who uses the papers the way he does to vent his anger has serious issues. Is he a laughing stock up there or do you actually take him seriously? One week he's shouting about come get him, he'll play for Antrim, then he slags all and sundry off. Why on earth do the papers give plonkers like this airtime?

clootfromthe21

I see Dara O'Se had a fair old cut off us in the Irish Times today!!!

theskull1

Quote from: ck on June 12, 2013, 10:41:49 AM
One week he's shouting about come get him, he'll play for Antrim, then he slags all and sundry off. Why on earth do the papers give plonkers like this airtime?

Seemingly controversy sells papers. We've plenty of players theses days telling us whats what in the print media
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on June 12, 2013, 10:47:55 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 12, 2013, 10:23:25 AM
If you honestly believe that another manager couldn't do any better than Frank Dawson has done, with the same crop of players, fair enough - there would be no point in getting rid of him.

So you think that a manager would be able to fix what happened during the league? To lose that many players before the league and then during it, also bring players into the panel at the end of the league and expect them to be up to the standard!! You think that another manager would have got closer than 5 points or possibly won? Glorious defeats are just that, defeats. 13 men behind the ball was wrong not changing it when they were a man down was wrong, but not having your full compliment of players due to disagreements isn't going to help your cause.
You say this like he was the innocent victim in it all, ffs!

I've highlighted the area were I think he was wrong, I haven't said he was innocent either

As for running to the papers and mouthing off, McGourty isn't on his own TS also had a go this year

glens abu

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 12, 2013, 11:12:41 AM

I've highlighted the area were I think he was wrong, I haven't said he was innocent either

As for running to the papers and mouthing off, McGourty isn't on his own TS also had a go this year

you are right TS did have a go but to be fair to him he always gave everything to the cause when asked,the same cannot be said for McGourty

Milltown Row2

Quote from: glens abu on June 12, 2013, 11:36:37 AM

you are right TS did have a go but to be fair to him he always gave everything to the cause when asked,the same cannot be said for McGourty

Yes massive effort over the years, but there are ones on here that are agreeing with the stuff McGourty said in the paper about Dawson. Out of his depth, wrong tactics, mis-management, should go.

NAG1

The fact is that you are both correct on some level HS and MR2.

Yes FD proved himself to be out of his depth tactically on Sunday and with player 'mismanagement' throughout the year.

Yes the players let him down, by either not playing up to their potential or simply not being good enough in the first place. This could be down to the manager but, apart from the guys that walked is there anyone out there deserving of a chance that didnt get it? No then he was dealing with what he had and they performed poorly.

FD cant make PC want the ball or show for it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on June 12, 2013, 11:59:20 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 12, 2013, 11:56:02 AM
Quote from: glens abu on June 12, 2013, 11:36:37 AM

Yes massive effort over the years, but there are ones on here that are agreeing with the stuff McGourty said in the paper about Dawson. Out of his depth, wrong tactics, mis-management, should go.
Haven't read what McGourty said but if the bit in bold is a summary of his article, he has it spot on IMO.

Look I haven't nor do you have the full facts on how the season has went in terms of behind the close doors, Having been a manager its not easy trying to get it right, so many ego's and players thinking they know it all and huffing when they get left of the team/panel or there food is cold or not getting enough travel money or can't go to a mass and meet up later.

Most managers do this for nothing, how many people on here would take a public post and get the shit ripped outta ya at every turn?

While on this occassion the tactics were wrong and we could have put up a better fight, laying the blame for everything at the managers door is daft IMO

crosskeys gael

im simply an antrim supporter that only managed to get to four football matches this year.i also go to as many hurling and camogie matches as I can.
I spent £40 on sunday to watch an antrim team that was aiming to get beat by the smallest margin possible.it was so hard to watch and I left with my wife and children with 6 minutes still to play.i have never done this before but  with us only 5 or six points behind I knew that we were never going to win the match even with the extra man. it was soul destroying,really hard to watch.to make matters worse on the way home I listened to the antrim manager as he was being interviewed on radio ulster and he seem quite pleased with his days work. imo a managers first job is man management, assembling the best possible squad ,getting to know his players individually ,know what makes them tick and what motivates them. the iron fist approach and closing or slamming doors dosnt do anyone any good. there should be a team approach i.e management team and players    instead of the big boss and then the players. kevin mc gourty gave his opinon today, that was all he did. I have much the same opinon .im sick of this I would rather go and watch a team getting beat trying to win as what I witnessed on sunday. I def wont go back until there are drastic changes ,why not everybody  go and watch our hurlers  trying to beat wexford or Dublin instead  rather than the footballers trying to keep the score down.  sadly I met a few antrim supporters on sunday who were hoping that we would get beat by 10 points or more so as change would be forced straight away.

ck

My in-laws were hoping for the same, get them beat out the gate so Dawson would be removed. Maybe Dawson was just happy to avoid a drubbing on the score board. His comments after the game were simply incredible! He spoke about them fighting to the end and a decent performance. A deluded man in denial!

optimus cheese

I went along to watch a competitive game. Had I known we were going out to lose by as little as possible and wave the white flag I wouldn't have bother going. Actually feel duped out of spending money for a competitive game that didn't exist. Won't be back