Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bit of banter

Why do St Galls supporters seem to thing its only Lamh Dhearg players/supporters that think their club could win the senior championship. I think their are quite a few clubs that would like to see St Galls beaten in the championship not just because its St Galls but just to see another club break through. Lamh Dhearg, St Johns, Cargin, and Creggan all play championship football with real ambitions to win. If they didn't then y would they put all that hard work in. St Galls are a great team but not unbeatable they could have an off day like last Sunday. Just because they believe they could win a championship doesn't mean they should be lambasted for it. Just remember 1 thing the mighty St Mals are starting pre season next week so i think St Galls need to keep one eye one the men from the Ormeau Road. We did take their scalp last year !!!!!!!!!

Milltown Row2

Going on last season alone, do you think that those teams you mentioned put in a lot of work? Wanting us beat for the good of the championship is silly talk. At the minute if we were beat by having an off day against Lamhs how would that be better for Antrim football?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gold

Quote from: bit of banter on November 23, 2012, 09:23:13 PM
Why do St Galls supporters seem to thing its only Lamh Dhearg players/supporters that think their club could win the senior championship. I think their are quite a few clubs that would like to see St Galls beaten in the championship not just because its St Galls but just to see another club break through. Lamh Dhearg, St Johns, Cargin, and Creggan all play championship football with real ambitions to win. If they didn't then y would they put all that hard work in. St Galls are a great team but not unbeatable they could have an off day like last Sunday. Just because they believe they could win a championship doesn't mean they should be lambasted for it. Just remember 1 thing the mighty St Mals are starting pre season next week so i think St Galls need to keep one eye one the men from the Ormeau Road. We did take their scalp last year !!!!!!!!!

What's the story with st mals? Do you have underage teams etc? Are the people there not all far more into soccer/Celtic /man u? Genuine question.

Are there many Gaels there who drive the club on?
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

bit of banter

What's the story with st mals? Do you have underage teams etc? Are the people there not all far more into soccer/Celtic /man u? Genuine question.
Are there many Gaels there who drive the club on?

Yes we do have a lot of competition from soccer and other sports but we always try to promote Gaelic Games within our community, we have a number of people driving our club and they are dedicated to improving St Malachys all the time. Hopefully with the development of cherryvale we will finally secure a pitch and grow our links within the local schools and push on with our clubs development. We have a few underage teams who are competing very well at the minute so the future is looking good. St Malachys will be around for along time you can be sure of that.

manballandall

Fair play. Yous must face stiff competition from bredagh with them being based at cherryvale?

DearyMe

I would imagine the way Galls went out against Kilcoo will have left a sour taste amongst those players! Good luck to any team standing in the way that reconditioned machine next year. I suggest they will be more ruthless than ever!
Do not wait to strike until the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on November 25, 2012, 09:45:09 PM
I watched them play in the championship this year where they were well beaten by a good Davitts team. Would like to see wee Sheamy do well with them. They had a fair bit of support there too.

I remember we played them in South Antrim football about 10 years ago. One of their players had a go at Chris Hamill and just as the two of them were about to go toe to toe another one of their players ran in, grabbed his team mate telling him to wise up. The first fella tells him to fcuk up and next thing the two St. Malachy's men started knocking the fcuk out of one another with Chris Hamill trying to break it up. Was funny as fcuk.

I also had a funny moment playing St Mal's, one of our players (I believe he's a poster on here) was playing FF at our pitch, he tried to tackle the FB from st Mal's (think he was a country lad who was a decent boxer) when from nowhere your man give our lad the old one two boom!! The Naomh Gall player hit the deck and the referee seen nowt and neither did our player!! Still laugh about it when I see him  ;D ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

Our reserves (Casements) played against them up in Cherryvale in div 4 the year before last and I was pleasantly surprised that they had cleaned their act up a good bit. No oul nonsense at all and it was a competitive enough match that ended in a draw. And they had a few really handy players.

Magicsponge

So next year reserve games and senior games will be played on the same day as a double header;

"The CCC is to endeavour to play Senior and 2nd team games as double headers on as many occasions as possible throughout the All County Football leagues."

Does anyone know how or if this will affect the leagues? Will 2nd teams still be in the same league system where they play other reserve teams as well as senior teams or will the reserve teams just play the reserve team of whatever team their seniors are playing?

CitySlicker11

James Loughery has declared himself unavailable for Antrim next year, moving to Cork, huge blow.

Gold

Quote from: CitySlicker11 on December 11, 2012, 11:16:21 AM
James Loughery has declared himself unavailable for Antrim next year, moving to Cork, huge blow.

Massive blow for county and his club.

Been decades since we've had a player good enough to start every game for Ulster. Only 25 too, with his best, peak years just about to kick in.

Cork wont be long using him.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Buswhacker

We'll see how good he is.Bet you he won't even make the Cork panel.Heard all these stories before about players  "who could grace any team in Ireland" but when they move they never are heard from again .

glens abu

Massive loss for Antrim,great player but wish him well and would think Cork will soon use his talent.

stibhan

Quote from: Buswhacker on December 11, 2012, 01:10:28 PM
We'll see how good he is.Bet you he won't even make the Cork panel.Heard all these stories before about players  "who could grace any team in Ireland" but when they move they never are heard from again .

Would you catch a decent amount of Cork football in Loughgiel?

Wild Guess

I had heard about this a few months ago, surprised its only common knowledge now. The cousin from Cork says his piece is from the city so naturally talk of Nemo. I'd imagine he'll be wearing the red geansai sooner than later.

Kelly, Gallagher now Loughrey, anyone out there actually want to play for Antrim?