Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicsponge

Quote from: Keane on January 25, 2012, 02:28:31 PM
Where would you guys rate yourselves in Ulster at the end of the preseason comps and heading into the league?

Any players stand out as vitally important?

I think we're maybe 7th above Cavan and Fermanagh, even though Fermanagh beat us in the McKenna cup I think with a full team we would have enough to handle them. I think we're capable (and with a bit of luck) of beating most of the teams in Ulster on our day and I think we are more than capable of getting out of Division 3.

Any vital players? At this stage no, as we haven't really played with a settled team yet, although it's great to have Loughery back and a few of the new players seem to be decent enough

Why the interest in Antrim? I don't think we would worry Kerry too much

Keane

Quote from: Magicsponge on January 25, 2012, 02:44:51 PM
I think we're maybe 7th above Cavan and Fermanagh, even though Fermanagh beat us in the McKenna cup I think with a full team we would have enough to handle them. I think we're capable (and with a bit of luck) of beating most of the teams in Ulster on our day and I think we are more than capable of getting out of Division 3.

Any vital players? At this stage no, as we haven't really played with a settled team yet, although it's great to have Loughery back and a few of the new players seem to be decent enough

Why the interest in Antrim? I don't think we would worry Kerry too much

Interested in everyone tbh!

Antrim would be one of the teams I'd know least about, have found it next to impossible to find any footage of them playing and stuff even compared to a lot of other teams so they're like a mystery to me :p

Only stumbled across gaaboard yesterday and just noticed the county fora now so said I'd wander in here to see if I could learn something.

Rasharkin Gael

Antrim have been a mystery to me for years :D

Gold

Antrim are planning on Sam this year --the Centenary of our last Final appearance

#saffronarmy
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Magicsponge

Quote from: Gold on January 25, 2012, 06:59:41 PM
Antrim are planning on Sam this year --the Centenary of our last Final appearance

#saffronarmy

Honestly, I'd be surprised if we didn't win

bannside

Hi Keane from Kerry,

Stayed on your campsite a few years down at the festival. Brings back a few memories! Is Willem Kirby still playing at this stage?

Keane

Quote from: bannside on January 25, 2012, 08:50:10 PM
Hi Keane from Kerry,

Stayed on your campsite a few years down at the festival. Brings back a few memories! Is Willem Kirby still playing at this stage?

You mean the Kerins O'Rahillys' campsite? Those were the days! That's all done away with now, the festival in Tralee doesn't get the numbers anymore. I'd say there were a few good old stories from that little tent village somehow!

William Kirby is still playing for the club (Austin Stacks) alright. They got as far as the County Final last year before losing out to Crokes.

subterranean saffron

Quote from: Keane on January 25, 2012, 02:28:31 PM
Where would you guys rate yourselves in Ulster at the end of the preseason comps and heading into the league?

Any players stand out as vitally important?

Giving this a go myself Keane, for a while anyway.

I disagree slightly with magicsponge, I put us at 8. Fermanagh are in the exact same position we were 3 years ago with a new manager to impress etc. and I reckon they will surprise a lot of people this summer. Yet the gap between 9 and 1 has shortened and I reckon that we can still mix it with anyone in Ulster. Not to exaggerate, I believe that when it comes to it we simply don't have the fire power to compete at the top level. I'll add to that in saying that I think we have some fantastic players who either cannot or will not line out for the county at present. With them back this summer anything is possible – just maybe nothing as radical as Gold has suggested. ;)

ManInBlackandGreen

Saturday, January 28, 2012 Irish Examiner

Matthews keen to achieve ref justice

By John Fogarty

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Assaulted former GAA referee Ray Matthews has agreed to become the interim president of the Gaelic Match Officials Association (GMOA).

The Antrim ex-official, who quit refereeing after the Ulster Council reduced punishments handed out to St Mary's Rasharkin arising from an U21 game he officiated in last October, will work alongside interim secretary, Tipperary man Alan Nash who has founded the organisation.

The GMOA, which states it will be non-profit, aims to seek greater protection for match officials, review referees' match fees and mileage as well as giving them a voice at Congress.

Matthews is primarily interested in the referees being defended.

"Until we get the whole thing organised and properly set up with democratic elections, I will be holding the position," confirmed Matthews.

"An organisation like this is something we have been crying out for because of the politics of the referring world and the fear factor of not getting good matches if they complain about what has happened to them. They are hesitant to come forward. It's not like the GPA because we're about representing all referees especially club referees."

Matthews appreciates his ordeal will bring attention to his new role and the organisation but has already experienced some opposition to his decision to help spearhead it.

"My profile is not the main reason. I fully endorse and believe in this. Because of what happened my face is out there. That's the hand I've been dealt. But it's strange. I know of a referees coordinator who asked hurling referees had they heard about the association and said, 'Jesus, do you not think they could have picked a higher profile referee'.

"Already, they're trying to rubbish it and put it down without knowing the benefits that could be coming to referees."

Matthews earlier this week threw away his refereeing gear with a heavy heart. He believes he may have to rule out any possible return to officiating because his stance may offend GAA officials. However he is willing to take the risk.

"In my eyes, referees are being let down a lot," he said before addressing his own trauma. "There wasn't a more apt time or easier opportunity for the GAA to stop events like what happened to me occurring again and protect referees.

"Instead, they washed their hands of it."

Croke Park recently asked the Ulster Council to review the St Mary's appeal case which saw the council quash the number of suspensions handed down to the club by the Antrim County Board.

They reverted the case on the grounds that some evidence was not taken into consideration, although it's understood not to be enough to change their decision.

The Antrim County Board had imposed bans on the club from all competitions above and not including minor grade but the decision was overruled by the Ulster Council.

While they remain suspended from the U21 championship, because of the club's successful appeal they are now permitted to play in senior league and championship competitions.

"Seemingly, the man who put all the evidence together isn't allowed to give evidence, which is stupid," said Matthews. "Joe Edwards, chairman of the Antrim CCCC, did an excellent job in collecting all the evidence.

"The bugbears Croke Park have with the case are related to the processes but not to the actual incident. That is a failing of our association.

"Everyone seems to be getting an appeal but the one person who isn't asked if they disagree with a decision is the referee which again is a failing."

Four St Mary's members were expelled from the GAA for their behaviour in the U21 game against Lamh Dearg in Ballymena after which Matthews was hospitalised.

Ten people in all received various bans. However, the Glenavy man believes more should have been suspended.

"A neutral witness said he couldn't see me from the amount of people trying to kick me."

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/matthews-keen-to-achieve-ref-justice-181787.html#ixzz1kkF1przA

4father

ManInBlackandGreen

??? Jesus you really do need help 4father!

Magicsponge

U21 Shamrock Cup - Monaghan 0-12 Antrim 0-10 in Clones

4father

Quote from: ManInBlackandGreen on January 28, 2012, 03:56:06 PM
??? Jesus you really do need help 4father!

Sorry, just annoys me when people do that. Im getting old and grumpy.
Seen that Glenariffe are in the IHC in the hurling. Who might be favourites for the intermediate football title? No point at all in discussing the Senior.

Rasharkin Gael

Would have thought Portglenone strong contenders for IFC . What's the situation with All Saints? Having won it last season are they automatically up to Senior Championship even though they are still in Div2?

Magicsponge

Quote from: Rasharkin Gael on January 30, 2012, 09:55:50 AM
Would have thought Portglenone strong contenders for IFC . What's the situation with All Saints? Having won it last season are they automatically up to Senior Championship even though they are still in Div2?

I don't think they automatically go up, they can choose to stay Intermediate if they want, much like O'Donnells stayed in the Junior and won it 2 years in a row. Even if they got promoted they could play Intermediate, I think Moneyglass, Glenavy and Aghagallon played Intermediate while in Div 1, and none of them won it. I would like to see them give the Senior championship a go and likewise I really hope O'Donnells play Intermediate this year as they should have last year.

I would imagine Portglenone would be good enough to win the Intermediate, last year I thought St Pauls should have entered it because I think they would have won and gave Ulster a good rattle