American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Can my luck get any worse?

thejuice

Osi Umenyiora OUT FOR SEASON

balls, i'll have to trade him ASAP
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

Big blow for the New York Football Giants. Some lads are picking them to finish 4th in the NFC East this year! That would be some kick in the nuts. Losing Strahan and Omenyiora is a big blow to their D-Line though. I wonder will Strahan be asked to come out of retirement? :D

thejuice

thats the rumour on NFL.com, but i dont think its likely
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Puckoon

Quote from: thejuice on August 25, 2008, 10:52:30 AM
Osi Umenyiora OUT FOR SEASON

balls, i'll have to trade him ASAP

Juice - you simply have to drop him, like I had to. Who will trade you for a player out for the season.
I also have the NYG defence, although Ive got detroit in reserve.

magickingdom

i see from george kimballs irish times column today that the last yankees/red sox games in yankee stadium start tonight. wrecking ball due up shortly!

i mentioned this on the book thread but will throw it in here too. a great read is the above george kimballs 'america at large' a decade of his irish times columns. got it a few weeks ago and theres some great tales in it. all proceeds go to temple st childerns hospital

Minder

Quote from: Puckoon on August 25, 2008, 02:38:42 AM
Can my luck get any worse?

Merriman is playing this year, how effective he will be is another matter with a gammy knee.......
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

heganboy

a lot of chat about a strahan return
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Minder

Quote from: heganboy on August 28, 2008, 10:11:37 PM
a lot of chat about a strahan return

I read that they rang him in Greece, where he is on holiday, and he isnt interested. They have plenty of depth on the Defensive line.

Puckoon

He turned them down two days ago, but it could just be a smokescreen to bend them over the ATM one last time before he says Yes.

Even if he comes back - he wont play until week 5-6 at the earliest.

lfdown2

dont worry about lights out, I predict we shall see plenty of thon stupid dance the year!! ;D

mc_grens

Hope so. I drafted him cos I thought he'd lead the league in sacks this year.

DrinkingHarp

ShareThis
Ocho Cinco 2.0
By GEOFF HOBSON
August 29, 2008
  ShareThis 

Posted: 5:05 p.m.
By the power vested in Broward County, Florida, Chad Johnson's name is now legally "Chad Javon Ocho Cinco," in what he calls a reinvention of the Ocho gig.

"Ocho Cinco 2.0" is what Johnson is calling it, but what the NFL is calling it remains to be seen. Could Johnson be looking for "Ocho Cinco" to go across the back of his No. 85 jersey?

"Hint, hint," he said of the marketing potential. "It's something I don't think anyone has ever done before. Have I ever had a reason for why I do what I do? I'm having fun."

Johnson
Johnson "changed" his name to Ocho Cinco for warmups before a game against the Falcons in 2006 and before Carson Palmer ripped off the nameplate to reveal C. Johnson. That was a violation of NFL uniform rules and he was reportedly fined $5,000.

Now he's done it legally in a move first reported by ProFootballTalk.com. And according to the document from the Seventeenth Judicial Circuit, the name change won't "invade the property rights of others, whether partnership, patent, good will, privacy, trademark, or otherwise."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in an e-mail Friday that the league is looking into it.

Don Hinchey of The Bonham Group, an internationally influential sports and entertainment company based in Denver, estimates Johnson could make this legal name change work for as much as "in the low seven figures."

"He's definitely got some cachet. He's really turned it into kind of a brand name. The media has picked it up and that can help him extend it. He's edgy enough and unpredictable enough that that would appeal to a lot of people on a jersey."

The highest selling jersey on NFLshop.com from Aug. 1 to Aug. 26, of course, was Brett Favre. The only receivers in the top 25 were Terrell Owens and Randy Moss. Could an Ocho jersey fire up sales, for which players get less than 10 percent on each jersey sale?

"He's a tremendously talented guy and very magnetic, but he's also volatile," Hinchey said. "I see him as almost like a football Dennis Rodman. But I think if he stays away from that, I think it's a pretty smart move. He's got some good market sense."

Johnson's popularity took a hit in the offseason with trade demands, holdout threats, and boycott of the voluntary practices. But since the start of training camp he has been all for it, saying and doing all the right things, and he remained a popular player during the camp at Georgetown College.

He has been especially hard-working since he suffered a torn labrum in his left shoulder Aug. 17 and while there is the possibility his shoulder could pop out of the socket and end his season, he is proud of his weightlifting.

"Today I did my normal routine, I just went right down the row (of weight machines)," Johnson said Friday after sitting out Thursday's game. "Everything was at 100 pounds. I felt good. Tell Cincinnati I love them and to come along for the ride. It's going to be fun."

Johnson won't say what he has up his sleeve. But he said it's not going to change much.

"You can call me anything you want," he said.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Minder

As the season starts on Thursday i think everyone should get their spake in. Predictions for Conferences, Super Bowl Winner and Rookie of the Year please......

AFC - San Diego Chargers
NFC - Dallas Cowboys
Super Bowl San Diego Chargers

Rookie Of The Year - Mc Fadden - Oakland Raiders

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Minder on September 01, 2008, 02:55:37 PM
As the season starts on Thursday i think everyone should get their spake in. Predictions for Conferences, Super Bowl Winner and Rookie of the Year please......

AFC - San Diego Chargers
NFC - Dallas Cowboys
Super Bowl San Diego Chargers

Rookie Of The Year - Mc Fadden - Oakland Raiders

AFC             Jacksonville
NFC             New Orleans
Super Bowl   New Orleans

Rookie         Matt Ryan Atlanta

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014